MA Asian Studies or MA Poli Sci/IR?

Kosmosis707

Hello all!

This is my first post to this fantastic forum.  Recently, I have made the big decision to apply to MA programs that begin in the Fall of 2015.  My undergrad degree was a BA in Political Science from Berkeley, with coursework heavily focused in Chinese and Southeast Asian politics.  I did some undergraduate research at the time focused on identity politics in Myanmar and the feasibility of an "ethnic federalist" system there.  I would really love to continue to focus on Southeast Asia as a region, likely remaining with Myanmar as my specialty, and with identity politcs and multicultural institutions as a more detailed focus. 

One little bump in the road on my decision is whether to go for a Masters in Asian Studies or in Political Science (maybe IR).  I have two paths that I want to keep open in making this decision.  I have decided against nonprofit administration (or any administration position for that matter).  I'm looking at either a) teaching IR, comparative politics, or Asian civilizations at the 2-year college level, or B) continuing on to a PhD research program focused on Myanmar.  Like I mentioned, I want my decision to be able to increase my competitiveness for both of these options. 

Hopefully I'm posting in the right forum here!  I figured I would post in the IS forum since I see several posts on Asian Studies.  If I'm posting in the wrong area, please let me know!  Thanks for reading everyone and take care.

If you eventually go on to a PhD, would you want to be in an Asian Studies department or a political science department? That might be a good indication of what would work best for you. If you're unsure, I would apply to a range of places across disciplines that have strengths in your areas of interest.

(A slightly unrelated note: if you're looking for the training to enter the academy, the professional IR programs like the ones at SAIS, SIPA or Fletcher would not be a good fit for you. Also keep in mind that these days, a PhD is essentially a requirement to get a college-level teaching job that actually pays the bills, even at a two year college.)