English Ph.D Funding at UCLA

1Q84

I noticed on their department site that they state:

A traditional first-year funding package consists of:

* $21,000 stipend
* full fees (including non-resident tuition for the first year, if applicable)
* $3000 summer stipend

I'll probably have to email the grad assistant but I thought I'd try here first. Any international grad students at UCLA want to confirm/deny that they offer full-fee remission only for the first year? Is it not possible at all to get this in subsequent years meaning basically the rest of your Ph.D is partially self-funded?

Thanks!

Can't confirm anything- but man oh man, it sure seems like the Californian system can't do right by its international students these days.

Seriously. I think all my applications are basically focused on private schools now.

Can't confirm anything- but man oh man, it sure seems like the Californian system can't do right by its international students these days.

i don't think it's California only. recently there was a little bit of a brouhaha over here because of some pretty stringent reductions in budgets for international students (particularly in the humanities/social sciences area). we complained but nobody really cared.

i guess now that universities operate like corporations we can expect to see some 'restructuring' every now and then? because one thing they did change was making it easier for self-funded students to pay things.

Edited by spunky

because one thing they did change was making it easier for self-funded students to pay things.

Wonder why! Ugh. I can even understand the concept of non-resident tuition but to double in-state tuition is just absurd.

were you at least able to confirm whether or not the offer was only for the first year? i have to say it almost sounds like a cruel joke if it is. like "sure, we'll cover you for the first year... but after that.... YOU'RE ON YOUR OWN". 

I can't speak for certain about this specific program, but I know that the entire UC system will require American students to gain California residency after 1 year at the school. If the student chooses to not gain California residency, the UC school will no longer pay for the additional cost of non-resident tuition. I think this is a pretty reasonable policy, given that it's not very hard for a graduate student to gain California residency and the fact that it would cause the school a lot of extra money if students just neglected to change their residency. (As long as there are options for those who are unable to change residency for some reason or other).

However, I think it would be highly unreasonable if they applied the same policy to international students too, who are not eligible for California residency!! I know that when I was applying to UC Berkeley for astrophysics, they said the same thing as what you have above, but clarified that while American students must gain residency after 1 year, international students are not eligible and thus will continue to receive full support for their non-resident tuition and fees.

were you at least able to confirm whether or not the offer was only for the first year? i have to say it almost sounds like a cruel joke if it is. like "sure, we'll cover you for the first year... but after that.... YOU'RE ON YOUR OWN". 

That's what I'm scared of! I guess the best thing will be to message the grad assistant.

I can't speak for certain about this specific program, but I know that the entire UC system will require American students to gain California residency after 1 year at the school. If the student chooses to not gain California residency, the UC school will no longer pay for the additional cost of non-resident tuition. I think this is a pretty reasonable policy, given that it's not very hard for a graduate student to gain California residency and the fact that it would cause the school a lot of extra money if students just neglected to change their residency. (As long as there are options for those who are unable to change residency for some reason or other).

However, I think it would be highly unreasonable if they applied the same policy to international students too, who are not eligible for California residency!! I know that when I was applying to UC Berkeley for astrophysics, they said the same thing as what you have above, but clarified that while American students must gain residency after 1 year, international students are not eligible and thus will continue to receive full support for their non-resident tuition and fees.

Oh UCB does that? I guess only the top UC schools can afford to fund international students.

Sigh. Sounds like I should just get married and get a green card :P

I attend a UC as a grad student and am in a department with international students, and although domestic students do have to get California residency after one year or pay the difference in tuition, this is NOT required of international grad students (I know this because my roommate is one of them). The UCs do not fund proportionally as many international students as many comparable private universities, but if they do accept international students and offer them funding, they will provide you with a tuition waver throughout your years with the department and not cut it off after one year (since it's completely unreasonable to expect international grad students to become permanent residents just to attend school!).

Any international grad students at UCLA want to confirm/deny that they offer full-fee remission only for the first year

Jeez that would be horrible. Please let us know if you find out more about it!

I'm not attending a public school, but I got admitted to UCSD and the offer included tuition remission for the whole five years (I'm international). 

(since it's completely unreasonable to expect international grad students to become permanent residents just to attend school!).

Not to mention in contradiction to all of the trouble US Immigration goes through to ensure that foreign students are not intending to become permanent residents (it's perfectly fine if we do, but one of the requirements for the F-1/J-1 visa is proof that you are only in the US for school and that you have intentions to return home after you are done).

I attend a UC as a grad student and am in a department with international students, and although domestic students do have to get California residency after one year or pay the difference in tuition, this is NOT required on international grad students (I know this because my roommate is one of them). The UCs do not fund proportionally as many international students as many comparable private universities, but if they do accept international students and offer them funding, they will provide you will a tuition waver throughout your years with the department and not cut it off after one year (since it's completely unreasonable to expect international grad students to become permanent residents just to attend school!).

Jeez that would be horrible. Please let us know if you find out more about it!

I'm not attending a public school, but I got admitted to UCSD and the offer included tuition remission for the whole five years (I'm international). 

This is great to hear from both of you! I was going to just not apply to any UCs because of scary stuff like this from the UCI site:

Applicants should also be prepared to document at the time of application sufficient funds to cover all fees, non-resident tuition, living expenses, and transportation. Currently the required amount for single students for one year of academic study is $37,755 (this is subject to change).

As a state university, it has been difficult for us in recent years to support international students who are on F-1 and J-1 visas since they cannot establish California residency, and must pay substantial tuition and living costs for all of the time that they are enrolled in the Ph.D. Program. Teaching Assistantships and fellowships are limited and provide only partial funding. The current stipend is approximately $16,636.98 per year for those teaching one course each term plus a partial fee offset.) For these reasons, we usually are unable to support foreign nationals who do not have independent funding for the duration of their course of study (such as a Fulbright Fellowship, a governmental fellowship from their home country or private funding).

Edited by 1Q84

For any UCs you are seriously considering, you should feel at liberty to email the English dept's Student Affairs Officer directly. It's their job to help with prospectives / admissions, and to help you navigate your funding and any university policies while you're a student there. The SAO will also have insight on how that department specifically interprets / employs these policies, how many int'l students make up their demographic, etc.

If you like everything else about the school, don't decline to apply because of some off-putting and confoundingly-worded policy you found online...ASK! 

For any UCs you are seriously considering, you should feel at liberty to email the English dept's Student Affairs Officer directly. It's their job to help with prospectives / admissions, and to help you navigate your funding and any university policies while you're a student there. The SAO will also have insight on how that department specifically interprets / employs these policies, how many int'l students make up their demographic, etc.

If you like everything else about the school, don't decline to apply because of some off-putting and confoundingly-worded policy you found online...ASK! 

Thank you! I read your message and made a point of doing so. I couldn't actually find a SAO for most of the schools I was looking into but I emailed the Graduate Division people so they would probably know.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally heard back, just wanted to update you guys on this:

International students receive the same funding as non-international students and are not required to provide their own funding for the entire course of the program.

Best,
Danielle

!!! :D