Regarding to SAIS any advice on no-work-experience applicant?

rachel_z

Hello, I'm so glad that you clicked this topic and hope that you may have the same issue or fortunately have the proper advice for my problem.

I have talked to a few grads at JHU-SAIS and have visited and read the materials and information on SAIS website several times. And a problem comes to me is that a lot of people who applied and got in to SAIS have had a few years' work experience. Meanwhile, some current students at SAIS, from China, with similar background as mine suggest me to think twice before applying for SAIS, especially with the concentration of IDEV.

My background I think, is super diverse. And it's also because I can't make up my mind now to find a "right" job that I'm trying to take the time taking a master program to probe down and figure out what I really want, at least, for present. I have been engaging with a national youth NGO for 3 years during my undergrad years, working first as a volunteer and now a leader of the organisation on sexual and reproductive health promotion in China. Besides, I'm studying finance, so I grow stronger preference towards capital market and product market at the same time, which has urged me to have taken several internships at consulting firm, and accounting agencies. I love all those experience, and I do have in mind that I want to work on a career track where I can solve problems and innovate. The only problem is that I need advice on the intense decision I'm facing now: should I apply for this program when I have barely experience in career?

Meanwhile, if it doesn't bother you, I also want to ask current or past applicant and student at SAIS or other similar programs: does GRE score really matter that much? I have a relatively low verbal result, of 154, but a high quant result of 166 with AW at around 4 (haven't received official result yet, last time scored 4.5). It's clear to me that admission office does't only focus on these "scores", but I just want to know, how much or under what conditions would they count on the scores?

I have these two questions in mind for a long time. It would be so much appreciated if you could spare some time to solve these tiny twists in my mind. :)

Thanks a lot!

Judging only from your post, it sounds like you don't know what you really want to do yet. That, in my opinion, is the biggest reason to wait before applying to a Masters program. You say you can't choose a "right job" so you're taking the time to do a Masters and figure out what you want to do. Figuring out what you want to do should ALWAYS come before an MA program, not during it. In my opinion, you should wait to apply until you have a clearer idea than a "career track where [you] can solve problems and innovate". 

But to answer your questions, yes, it is generally favorably looked upon to have some kind of professional experience. I do know some people who have gone straight through from undergrad and have gotten acceptances, but they generally had some kind of unique selling point on their resume or perfect GPAs and GREs. 

Regarding GREs, yes, they are important. It has always been my impression that they are given a lot of weight in any MA program, and SAIS is no exception. I'll admit I didn't have perfect scores across the board and still got into SAIS. I scored in the 95th percentile for the verbal, a 5.0 on the writing, but only the 60th percentile on the quant section, which is a bad math score. I was anticipating having to take it again, but I was accepted despite the low score, thankfully. So it is possible to get into a highly ranked program despite not having perfect scores. That being said, I would have been a much better candidate for funding with better scores. I was given no aid by SAIS, and 10k/year by GW, but only during second round funding. So the scores are a big part of what you're being judged on, both for admission and funding, but it varies by school and concentration. I highly doubt I would have gotten into the SAIS IDEV program with my low math scores, for example.

I think that addressed most of your questions, but my biggest advice is to wait until you have a clear picture of what you want to do. It's good to be flexible and open to being influenced by what you learn in the course of a master's program, but if you don't at least have a clear general idea of what you want, it could end up being a substantial waste of money.

Judging only from your post, it sounds like you don't know what you really want to do yet. That, in my opinion, is the biggest reason to wait before applying to a Masters program. You say you can't choose a "right job" so you're taking the time to do a Masters and figure out what you want to do. Figuring out what you want to do should ALWAYS come before an MA program, not during it. In my opinion, you should wait to apply until you have a clearer idea than a "career track where [you] can solve problems and innovate". 

But to answer your questions, yes, it is generally favorably looked upon to have some kind of professional experience. I do know some people who have gone straight through from undergrad and have gotten acceptances, but they generally had some kind of unique selling point on their resume or perfect GPAs and GREs. 

Regarding GREs, yes, they are important. It has always been my impression that they are given a lot of weight in any MA program, and SAIS is no exception. I'll admit I didn't have perfect scores across the board and still got into SAIS. I scored in the 95th percentile for the verbal, a 5.0 on the writing, but only the 60th percentile on the quant section, which is a bad math score. I was anticipating having to take it again, but I was accepted despite the low score, thankfully. So it is possible to get into a highly ranked program despite not having perfect scores. That being said, I would have been a much better candidate for funding with better scores. I was given no aid by SAIS, and 10k/year by GW, but only during second round funding. So the scores are a big part of what you're being judged on, both for admission and funding, but it varies by school and concentration. I highly doubt I would have gotten into the SAIS IDEV program with my low math scores, for example.

I think that addressed most of your questions, but my biggest advice is to wait until you have a clear picture of what you want to do. It's good to be flexible and open to being influenced by what you learn in the course of a master's program, but if you don't at least have a clear general idea of what you want, it could end up being a substantial waste of money.

Hi WinterSolstice, thank you so much for your helpful reply and information.

I believe what you said is also what is expected from the admission officer, since I'm not living in a western or say, US academic environment and you may know much more than I do about what "they" are looking for in a prominent applicant. Thanks a lot.

Regarding to a more than clear career track, I agree with you even though I don't have a specific job I want to enter. Somehow, via replying you right now, I grow or I revoke what I have been thinking about gaining more knowledge of is social entrepreneurship, which is the combination of private and public sector. I thank you a lot for inspiring me on this and providing me with the most sincere advice. :) Many thanks!

Besides, if it's possible I would love to talk to you about my application. :)

International applicants get a pass on GRE V. Internationals should be shooting for a 155. You actually have pretty exceptional GRE scores. Don't worry.

Whether you should do a Masters? I don't know, you could definitely benefit from getting a full time job. However if you are dedicated to social entrepreneurship, a high profile US masters might help you get a foothold in the American job market. WashU (https://brownschool.wustl.edu/Academics/Master-of-Social-Work/Pages/Social-Entrepreneurship-Specialization.aspx) has a "Social Entrepreneurship" specialization which is the only program that combines their school of social work with their school of business.

You might find that you have a little more knowledge of what to expect if you mature as a public servant in the workforce. As someone in an MPA program, I can tell you that students with work experience have much more to contribute in class. You also might be better at choosing a program for yourself, there are a lot of programs besides SAIS.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, I'm so glad that you clicked this topic and hope that you may have the same issue or fortunately have the proper advice for my problem.

I have talked to a few grads at JHU-SAIS and have visited and read the materials and information on SAIS website several times. And a problem comes to me is that a lot of people who applied and got in to SAIS have had a few years' work experience. Meanwhile, some current students at SAIS, from China, with similar background as mine suggest me to think twice before applying for SAIS, especially with the concentration of IDEV.

My background I think, is super diverse. And it's also because I can't make up my mind now to find a "right" job that I'm trying to take the time taking a master program to probe down and figure out what I really want, at least, for present. I have been engaging with a national youth NGO for 3 years during my undergrad years, working first as a volunteer and now a leader of the organisation on sexual and reproductive health promotion in China. Besides, I'm studying finance, so I grow stronger preference towards capital market and product market at the same time, which has urged me to have taken several internships at consulting firm, and accounting agencies. I love all those experience, and I do have in mind that I want to work on a career track where I can solve problems and innovate. The only problem is that I need advice on the intense decision I'm facing now: should I apply for this program when I have barely experience in career?

Meanwhile, if it doesn't bother you, I also want to ask current or past applicant and student at SAIS or other similar programs: does GRE score really matter that much? I have a relatively low verbal result, of 154, but a high quant result of 166 with AW at around 4 (haven't received official result yet, last time scored 4.5). It's clear to me that admission office does't only focus on these "scores", but I just want to know, how much or under what conditions would they count on the scores?

I have these two questions in mind for a long time. It would be so much appreciated if you could spare some time to solve these tiny twists in my mind. :)

Thanks a lot!

Hi Rachel_Z, I'm also a current SAIS IDEV student and I can tell you that GRE scores aren't as important for international students. I have asked about this and I've been told it's because they believe that the GRE is a more "American" concept and that they don't want to shut out international students who aren't used to this type of system of testing. Obviously, the better your scores are, the better your chances of being accepted to the program and receiving funding.

I am international student and I took the GRE once before applying to SAIS, SIPA and MSFS. I had average scores but I still got into every program (thank god). When I applied to SAIS, I applied to do the joint Bologna-DC program because I wanted to live abroad and also because if you apply through SAIS Europe as an international student, you more likely to get aid than if you apply through DC. In the end I was accepted into the IDEV program and I got an amazing aid package.

As for applying to IDEV, I have to be honest - they do look for people who have solid work experience under their belts and who know what career paths they want to follow. I would encourage you to apply any way, but to make a really strong case for IDEV in your essays (SAIS asks you to do two, so you have ample room to do so). In the case that you don't get into IDEV, also know that you can apply an IDEV focus to any other concentration. I know several people, for example, who are doing Latin American Studies and focusing on international development. SAIS is very flexible in that sense for the other concentrations (IDEV, on the other hand, is the most rigid and structured concentration - we can only take 1 elective a year). 

Feel free to let me know if you have any other questions about the program and best of luck!