Importance of chem GRE

fancyfeast

Hi all,

I was recently questioning what I wanted to do after graduation from undergrad next May (still no definite answer) and didn't sign up for the chem GRE. How important is this subject test for programs? I know it's not required for some, but how much will I be missing out on without it? I could take the test in April but I feel that's quite late and don't know if there would be a point.

FF

If its not required I wouldn't worry about it unless you were applying to a top program, and then I would consider it.  Even a top 20 or 30 university that says recommended, I wouldn't feel obligated unless I had the time etc.  Are you planning to apply this fall yet?  I'm confused why you would be taking the subject test in April....?  If you are taking it next April and planning to apply for during fall 2015 for starting fall 2016 then you could take it in April or whenever before fall.  If you are applying this fall and considering adding a subject test in april there is no point. Almost all programs make decisions for April 15th and acceptances will be going out long before that.

If its not required I wouldn't worry about it unless you were applying to a top program, and then I would consider it.  Even a top 20 or 30 university that says recommended, I wouldn't feel obligated unless I had the time etc.  Are you planning to apply this fall yet?  I'm confused why you would be taking the subject test in April....?  If you are taking it next April and planning to apply for during fall 2015 for starting fall 2016 then you could take it in April or whenever before fall.  If you are applying this fall and considering adding a subject test in april there is no point. Almost all programs make decisions for April 15th and acceptances will be going out long before that.

I would be applying this fall, and, yeah, I figured April would be too late for this cycle but wasn't sure. I was going to take it this fall, but then I was on the fence about everything (still am) and was looking into alternatives and so I totally missed the deadline (by 24 hours lol). I was kind of looking into the top programs, and some websites mentioned it affects ability to get internal funding from the department as well external funding from the NSF, for example.