Pens/Pencils which brands do you prefer?

buddyman

I do a lot of writing as I'm sure many of you do as well. I'm curious if you have any pen or even pencil suggestions? I'm planning to invest in a nicer set since I'm tired of cheap ones breaking and the cheap feel of them when writing if that makes sense. My friend recently got a Rotring pen and that thing feels pretty nice to write with(and looks good) and I'm curious if any of you have any prefered pens or pencils you have an attachment to.

Edited by buddyman

Free pens are my favourite pens! 

But more seriously, I don't have specific brand types that I prefer. I do enjoy writing with a rollerball pen more than a ballpoint pen. So, when I have to grade papers (although I generally enjoy teaching and providing feedback, grading is still really tedious!), I make it less of a chore by going out and buying a rollerball pen in some fun colour (usually green or purple since I don't like grading in red and most people write in blue or black).

I do my homework and write in my lab notebook with whatever pen I can find at the moment though, usually a free ballpoint pen from some event or other. Once in awhile, I do have to stock up basic pens and I usually go with "papermate" since it's cheap.

The cheap BIC Round Stic pens are my favorite. They generally write well, don't get clumpy, and show up clearly on paper. I think they end up being something like 10 cents each when you buy the bulk boxes. I lose pens a lot, so it's nice to know that I only lose 10 cents at a time.

Second TakerUK's love of free pens! I also love these babies:

0007251222648_500X500.jpg

They're colorful, so I just feel happier taking serious notes with my green or orange pen. And they have the cushy part near the point, which I appreciate because I have a permanent callous on my right middle finger. 

I like the Pilot G2 gel pens. I also sometimes use ballpoint pens (Pentel fine or medium, different pack but the same pen in proflorax's picture above) depending on whether I care about being able to see the ink on the other side of the page.

I use extra-fine Lamy Safaris. I recently switched from preloaded cartridges to bottle ink, which is cheaper. I have a distinct preference for Blueline notebooks, though anything with good paper is tolerable.

I third the Pilot G2 as my favorite pen - the cartridges are cheap to replace and the rubber grip is pretty plush for what's essentially a cheap gel pen. I've been using the same 5 or 6 ones for the last five years and simply replacing the cartridges.

My parents collect "writing instruments," so I have been given a few really nice pens for various graduations. I have two Cross pens and a Mont Blanc pen. I have one of each, ballpoint, rollerball, and fountain. I use the rollerball most often, but I am quite a fan of all three of them.

As far as cheap pens go, I too like the RSVP pens.

I don't buy fancy pens; my favorites are the Papermate Inkjoy pens (they sell them in black and blue and in funky colors.  I use the fun colors to grade).  My favorite cheapo brand are the BIC Round Stics.  But I'm obsessed with always having access to a pen, which is why I buy inexpensive ones - I have them all over the place.  I have two full pen cups on my desk at work and another one at home.  I lose them pretty often, that's why.

I use Pilot Acroball pens and a variety of mechanical pencils.  I used to use more expensive ones but found that with writing a lot I like being able to switch between different styles to give my hand a break.

The one thing I'm adamant about using are my notebooks.  I use Tops FocusNotes only.

Another fan of Pilot G2s. Black ink for anything "professional/academic", green/purple for lists, orange for crossing things off of my to-do list, other colors as needed. And I buy the multi-color packages. 

Yes I love a nice notebook also with nice paper as well. I'll have to check that out.

When your pens cost $40 each, you tend to keep pretty good track of them  :P

This is kind of my idea of wanting to get a nicer set also. Though I understand how wanting cheap ones also is handy. Lots of interesting suggestions though on the topic, thanks for sharing. I figured many grad students would have a bit more of an obsession with writing instruments then the general public.

Has anyone found cheap dot graphed ruled notebooks? It seems they are only found in expensive moleskin like notebooks and i just want a 1-3 dollar per notebook. 

http://www.jetpens.com/Dot-Grid-Notebooks/ct/1669?&pn=1&sa=price&so=1&ip=24

Jep pens offers a few at a discount when you buy in bulk. Nothing as cheap as 1$ though but a few that are not as expensive as moleskin.

Why would ppl use pen? It feels like a bad compromise between printing and pencil - neither with the neatness of print, nor with the convenience, versatility and speed of pencil. If I need ink, I print, elsewise, I use pencil for almost everything except signatures.

Pen is good for lab books: you never want to erase anything. When you erase with pen, its just one mark through the center, so you can still read it incase it was a good idea. It doesnt fade as fast as pencil.

I personally use pencil because my habits were formed in physics and math and not the lab. There is a divide: physicists and mathematicians tend to use pencil where as everyone else tends to use pen.