59 members have voted

1. 1. Commuting to Graduate School

• Less than 5 miles
    • 6-14 miles
    • 15-29 miles
    • 30-44 miles
    • 45-59 miles
    • More than 60 miles

I would make it a point to live as close to campus as possible, even at risk of it being expensive. Given that I commuted during undergrad where each way was upwards of an hour or more, and very draining, I do not want to repeat that. While most people can use that time to read, I am not able to because I get distracted and worn out by the ride.

I am living in a suburb near Chicago, and I am taking Metra every morning and I am using Zone F monthly tix (for those who live near you should know what I am talking about). It takes somewhere between 55-70 minutes one way plus another 10 minutes of driving.

I would make it a point to live as close to campus as possible, even at risk of it being expensive. Given that I commuted during undergrad where each way was upwards of an hour or more, and very draining, I do not want to repeat that. While most people can use that time to read, I am not able to because I get distracted and worn out by the ride.

Use the time to catch up your Zzzzzz

For me it's not so much the distance as the means of transportation. I can't do anything on the bus - can't read, can't sleep, I just sit there and watch traffic pass by. But if it's a train, express or suburban, I don't mind commuting up to 35-40 minutes each way. I don't mind living further away if it's near the train station and there are enough trains that come by at reasonable intervals and get me wherever I need to go. In fact, I'd prefer a place that's further away but is a better value for my money than a place that's within walking distance from campus but is smaller and more expensive.

I've never lived more than 3.5 miles from school... I'm a fan of living close. Right now, I live 1 mile away and I love it because I can walk or bike to campus easily.

It all depends. With the current economy, I think it is a better choice to stick with your parents if you can.

I used to commute 3 hours a day and I felt that that significantly limited everything else in my life. I made slower research progress because I could only do experiments that fit into my schedule. I also spent enormous amounts of time at work because I never had the luxury of starting something, and coming back later to take aliquots or data points or whatever. If you work in a lab, I would be cautious about having anythign more than a half hour commute as you so frequently need to come back in in the middle of the night.

It all depends. With the current economy, I think it is a better choice to stick with your parents if you can.

How exactly would that help? I'd have to go to a lower quality program approximately 1900 miles from where I currently am in order to live with my parents. The reason for the short commute is to be able to spend more time on research, studying, relaxing, or whatever and less time in a car/bus/train just trying to get from one place to the next.

It took me years to understand the value of good public transportation. Few cities in Texas offer anything above a sporadic bus service. Even at Texas A&M, the campus buses leave much to be desired. Things are spread out and sprawling. I have friends who live 20 miles away from campus just so that they can still have that country feel. Even though my house is city limits and barely 10 miles from camps, the nearest campus bus stop is 2 miles from me. When I have traveled for work, though, I often revel in subways and the like. I interned in DC while in grad school and loved the Metro. And now that I find myself moving to Georgia, my main concern is dropping down to 1 car and finding a place to live that is on a bus route. I understand the bus system in Athens is actually pretty decent and will allow me to do this.

How exactly would that help? I'd have to go to a lower quality program approximately 1900 miles from where I currently am in order to live with my parents. The reason for the short commute is to be able to spend more time on research, studying, relaxing, or whatever and less time in a car/bus/train just trying to get from one place to the next.

:D That why I said "It all depends". In my case my family lives in Chicago. So here is how that cost breaks in:

If on campus:

$800 / month with utilities (conservative estimate)

$250 / month with food (that is with tons of ramen)

TOTAL $1050

Now in my case:

180 minutes total time per day to reach campus from home and going back (car + train + bus)

22 working day in a month

$150 / month for the train ticket

$30 / month for gas required to drive from home to train station (3 miles one way)

$20 / month for train station parking

$0 rent

$0 utilities

$0 food

TOTAL $200

Saved $800 a month, spending 66 hours a month on commute = $12.12 / hour of savings , and that is after tax savings.

If you are CS major or something that uses computer a lot, you can buy a netbook and do stuff on the train. That will cut your work shorter.

Obviously if your parents does not live near a big city that the above does not apply.

newage2012 said:

$800 / month with utilities (conservative estimate)

$250 / month with food (that is with tons of ramen)

TOTAL $1050

This is entirely dependent on where you live. I spend about $150/month on food and I never eat ramen. I eat healthy food that I prepare myself, some frozen dinners, and my favorite cereal (Raisin Bran with milk) all the time on that budget and, often don't even spend the whole $150. My rent with utilities is a flat $450/month.

Then again, even if I did live at home, I would give my mom money for rent, utilities, and food because, if you're getting a stipend, it's the right thing to do.

• 4 weeks later...

I would just make sure I could get there in an hour or less without a car. Don't live anywhere where you can't get to campus without your car. As a grad student, if your car breaks, you may not be able to afford to fix it. More power to you if you can hit up your parents, but if not, then just make sure you're on a bus line or you've got a bike or some alternative means.

Living with parents is cost effective. I'm a compulsive saver, and did my master's living at home and it's just ming boggling how much I've been able to save through undergrad to now, especially since my parents charge very reasonable rates. My commute then was 30 minutes as an undergrad and 40 as a grad. I am moving for a PhD out of state, though, and just got my own place. I had to get a place on the busline (can't drive) and clocked it at 20-30 minutes with a transfer. I like easy library access, and being able to go in and meet with people if I need to but also putting enough distance between myself and the undergraduate population as possible. In the immediate 1-2 block radius I have two supermarkets, public library, bookstore, bus stop, some decent restaurants if I'm feeling spendy and an excellent discount record store.

Normally I try to avoid transfers like the plague, since they can kill your time, but I loved the neighborhood so much I couldn't pass it up.

I was commuting last year for my MA but then I had a serious car accident and lost my drivers licence... my husband chauffeured me back and forth for the rest of the year but in September - doing my PhD at the same uni - I'll have to have a place there. I guess. I don't really WANT one ... but there is a residency requirement - and even when I get my licence back (4 - 6 weeks now WOO HOO!!!) - I don't think hubby could handle the stress of having me on the road that much any more.

He'll join me around the end of October ... until then will come home just on weekends.