Yale Environmental and Chemical Engineering

Aphotic

Hi,

Was anyone accepted to this program? Is anyone considering applying this year?

What do you think of my chances?

University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire. Materials Science major.
Undergrad GPA: 3.98 (4.0 major)
Research Exp: 4 years undergraduate (one summer in France via NSF international REU)
Pubs: One first author in materials letters. Another in progress with mentor from France.
LOR: Extremely good letters from 5+ faculty
GRE: 162 V, 161 Q (what I'm worried most about; AW still processing)
Awards: Barry Goldwater Scholarship, NSF REU, McNair Scholar

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

I'd say you have a pretty strong chance based on the info posted. I plan to apply as well with an environmental background. Are you applying for PhD or Master's? Also, what do you want to research?

From my understanding, admitted students are accepted with full funding for at least the first year while they find a lab to work in. That makes the admissions process a bit different than some other programs since decisions are made by the full committee rather than by the professor that you would work with.

You shouldn't tell us you won Goldwater. A simple search with your home institution reveals your name. Unless you don't care about your anonymity.

On topic: Yale doesn't have a very highly ranked chemE program, so I'm sure they'd love to have you.

You shouldn't tell us you won Goldwater. A simple search with your home institution reveals your name. Unless you don't care about your anonymity.

On topic: Yale doesn't have a very highly ranked chemE program, so I'm sure they'd love to have you.

If you're referring to the US News rankings, their Environmental Engineering program is top 25 and it's the same department. I wouldn't put too much stock into those numbers anyway. Yale and other small programs tend to get undervalued (number of students does factor into their ranking). When you look at some of the professors' outputs, they are comparable to other top tier schools.

• 1 month later...

Current student here.

Your numbers and credentials look solid. You certainly have a great shot. That being said, the process is sometimes kind of random, and it may come down to your research interests and whether there is a current professor who really wants to have you in his/her lab.

That being said, good luck!