What's considered an okay GPA for the top 20 programs?

TheLuckyOne

Hi guys, I am panicking now in my application season, because I am really worried about my GPA. I didn't do well in some theory classes, and that completely dropped my GPA. My GREs are all in the top 10% percentile, but I am really afraid that my GPA might ruin all of my chances. To put it simply, to qualify for the top 20 programs, about what level should my GPA be, generally? Thank you so much!

There isn't usually a minimum GPA. However, for folks who look over your transcripts (not everyone does, but some pick them apart), there might be concerns that it's sociology classes - and specifically theory, which you'll have to take in grad school - that's negatively affecting it. 

Are the theory classes which you struggled in within your discipline?  If so, that will hurt you.  But if you took (for example) philosophy theory classes or political science theory classes and those hurt you, that won't matter as much.

• 3 weeks later...

FWIW, I had a 3.4 (non-sociology major, top 15 UG), and I got into a few top 20 programs.  My GREs were similar to yours.  So, a lower GPA alone isn't going to take you out of contention if your application is otherwise strong.