Applicants with a <3.0 uGPA, how did you get into masters programs and what schools did you apply to?

jetvermillion

I've read many cases where someone explains that they got into a top phd program with a <3.0 undergrad GPA AFTER getting a high gpa at a masters program. But they never explain how they accomplished that transition from undergrad to masters program in the first place.

I'm asking because I'm going to be applying to masters programs in biomedical engineering, but have a really poor undergrad gpa. So I'd like to ask how people have achieved this. I have a number of schools in mind already, but want to know what are my chances of getting into them (should i even bother with tier 1 schools or shoot for tier 2 and below..)

My background:

Major: Neurobiology

GPA: 2.1 major, 2.5 overall at a top 20 US university (probably irrelevant with that GPA) - I was essentially a straight C student. I did have As in several major classes, but that's probably trivial amongst the sea of...Cs

Research experience: 2.5  years full time in a research lab, with ~ 6 publications, many conference presentations

Will be taking the GRE soon

Would anyone be able to share their experience? It'd be greatly appreciated

Edited by jetvermillion

A major GPA of 2.1 is going to be a tough sell, but possibly doable if you show a strong fit, have strong LORs and a strong SOP.  Your research, publications, and conferences are going to be a huge plus in your favor but you still are going to have your work cut out for you conniving the adcoms that you are prepared.  You definitely need to explain your GPA in your SOP.  Avoid any sob stories even if they are true.  Just be honest about your grades, own up to them, and offer a few examples of how/why those grades are in your past and do not reflect who you are now. 

Master's programs are generally more lenient than Ph.D. programs.  

Edit:  you are going to have to score high on the GRE and might want to also consider a subject test. 

Edited by Crucial BBQ

I agree that your publications and conference experiences will really help you out. I don't know how much emphasis to put on your GPA in your SOP... many people have given advice on either not mentioning it or just lightly touching upon it and instead focusing on your strengths. In my own SOP for my masters program, I wrote one sentence on it. However, I had a different mix of grades than you do... my major GPA was 3.9 while my overall was around 2.65 (had to combine my GPAs from several different schools... quite a daunting task). Since your major GPA is quite a bit lower, you may want to elaborate a bit more, but focus on how you have improved or are addressing any issues that caused those low grades. If those A's are from some of your most recent coursework, you can make a good case for how you are improving.

Something the grad coordinator told me this year was that my LORs made a big impression on the admissions committee. You should probably try to get a LOR from the PI in your research lab so he/she can comment on your ability and potential for research. Anyone else who can sing your praises and highlight your good qualities would be a great choice. It would also be useful if one of your LOR writers could say something along the lines of, "the student may have received a C in Class X, but is proficient in all of the techniques taught in the class." In other words, you may have gotten a poor grade, but you learned something and can apply it to research.

Thanks for the replies, great points and tips. My LOR and SOP will definitely be key. I've secured two recs from professors in my lab, but the 3rd rec will be key. ideally it will be someone unaffiliated with my research group so it doesn't look like we're just sticking up for each other.

edit: what tier do think i should apply to? top 30 or below, or unranked, or all?

Edited by jetvermillion

Thanks for the replies, great points and tips. My LOR and SOP will definitely be key. I've secured two recs from professors in my lab, but the 3rd rec will be key. ideally it will be someone unaffiliated with my research group so it doesn't look like we're just sticking up for each other.

edit: what tier do think i should apply to? top 30 or below, or unranked, or all?

First off, yes, I find it extremely annoying that those with sub 3.0 GPAs do not bother to really tell their story.  

For the rankings, and some may disagree with me, but there really are no "best" programs.  Some might be worst than others, sure, but unless you want to go to into academia "real" employers really do not care where you went or how prestigious your mentor's name may be.  Only high school kids and undergrads care about rankings; the rest of the world does not give a hoot.  

Apply to where you think you will fit in the best, rankings and prestige be damned.