old vs new gre score - which one should I send?

mvn

I wrote the GRE once in 2011 and once last month. I got about the same scores in verbal and quant and exactly the same in AWA (550-790-4.0 and 157-163-4.0). Which of these scores should I send? Or should I send both to show consistency - but they are not consistently great scores so I am not sure..

Thanks!

I'd send the new ones only. 

Your point about showing consistently "not  great" scores is one worth considering. They certainly aren't bad scores! But, it's possible it would reflect poorly that even though you could have studied and improved, you did not (I'm assuming this, I haven't looked at the equivalency tables for your old scores). I wouldn't beat yourself up about this point though - just be aware of how it could be viewed.

I'd send the new ones only. 

Your point about showing consistently "not  great" scores is one worth considering. They certainly aren't bad scores! But, it's possible it would reflect poorly that even though you could have studied and improved, you did not (I'm assuming this, I haven't looked at the equivalency tables for your old scores). I wouldn't beat yourself up about this point though - just be aware of how it could be viewed.

Thanks. I agree with your point about not sending both. I was wondering if getting the same score on the revised GRE is better than getting that score on the old GRE. Do the admissions committee view the new GRE as a tougher platform to score or do they think its easier or neither?

I would imagine neither - however, sending your current scores tells your adcomm, look, this is where I am right now... whereas if they see where you were a few years ago, they might wonder if your skills had dropped in the meantime.  Of course, that's if they even analyze scores that deeply, which frankly I have no idea if they do or don't! And from what many people say on here, they don't!

One prof outright said to me he thinks the GRE is baloney and resents that they are used during the admissions process at all.

I would imagine neither - however, sending your current scores tells your adcomm, look, this is where I am right now... whereas if they see where you were a few years ago, they might wonder if your skills had dropped in the meantime.  Of course, that's if they even analyze scores that deeply, which frankly I have no idea if they do or don't! And from what many people say on here, they don't!

One prof outright said to me he thinks the GRE is baloney and resents that they are used during the admissions process at all.

Alright. I'll settle for sending the new scores. Thanks

Sure. Not sure what my opinion's worth but no problem!

If it helps to know - I retook the GRE after a five year break and got somewhat better scores, so, I decided to send both, to show that a- I had improved, and b- that my brain wasn't going dead despite being out of school for so long.

If my scores were worse, I would have sent my old ones only, and/or retaken the exam.

If they were basically the same, I would've sent my new ones only, and considered retaking depending on the circumstances.