Who is getting excited!?

Crucial BBQ

Well, it is that time of year again.  When I received all rejections last year I was actually stoked that I had a second chance to do it all over again, and doing everything right.  Then summer hit and my enthusiasm entered into a lull.  Then September, and I thought to myself Grad school, meh.  It was easy to be excited about graduate school while I was still in school but I found that enthusiasm to wane since graduation.  That feeling has since returned and I am once again eager to participate in the whole process.  

How about you?  Getting excited yet?

I'm finishing up an application (just need to pay the application fee). I am starting to get anxious about results already (the deadline hasn't even passed yet!). Excited, but also nervous.

Has anyone gotten to the point where they don't want to apply anymore? I'm there right now  :(

Uhh...this. I'm starting to wonder if I really want to open myself up to this level of rejection. I'm hoping once the first few applications come together that I'll gain some momentum, but right now I'm dreading it.

Uhh...this. I'm starting to wonder if I really want to open myself up to this level of rejection. I'm hoping once the first few applications come together that I'll gain some momentum, but right now I'm dreading it.

I feel the same. I of course know that I will make this happen and apply to all of these programs but the amount of work that needs to be done is way more than I could have imagined. Some voice in the back of my head keeps asking if I am actually going through with this. I have wanted this for so long and now it is here! I just need one acceptance!

You know, you face a hell of a lot more rejection job hunting.

You know, you face a hell of a lot more rejection job hunting.

Numbers wise yes, but I also haven't ever applied for a job that I was in love with. It's always been a "well I have to make rent, might as well do something I like" situation. I can take that kind of rejection in stride, but grad school rejections feel more personal. 

Well, all it takes is one admit, right?  

Define excited. I am in the "I have no idea what I am doing" phase at the moment. Just have to get these SoPs done, then time to fork over my life savings and submit those applications!

By excited I mean the feeling of euphoria one gets from the anticipation of the favorable outcome of a "big deal" future event, even with the knowledge that the outcome may not be favorable.  You may call it fantasy if you like, but I like to think of it more along the lines of "fingers crossed" with the lean tilting towards I know I have a decent chance. 

It could be nervous excitement, too, I suppose.  

By excited I mean the feeling of euphoria one gets from the anticipation of the favorable outcome of a "big deal" future event, even with the knowledge that the outcome may not be favorable.  You may call it fantasy if you like, but I like to think of it more along the lines of "fingers crossed" with the lean tilting towards I know I have a decent chance. 

It could be nervous excitement, too, I suppose.  

I was being sarcastic! :)

I am with you. This (what some might call) foolish optimism is scary at times!

• 5 weeks later...

I have finally submitted all my applications!! Now I just have to email PI's and communicate with the departments to make sure they have everything they need. BBQ I read your post in the 2015 thread and I think you're a strong applicant for the programs you've applied. best wishes

Thanks yolk!  After going through the admissions cycle last year and contacting program directors to discuss my respective applications and where they went wrong, I do feel that I have a good chance.  

At what point do we migrate to "Waiting it Out"? I'm also done with all of my apps and am definitely feeling the fidgets/nervous excitement...

Last year, for me, it was right after I had hit submit.  I swear I immediately began to log in to my accounts to see if my status had changed...at least ten times per day...for each program. 

Last year, for me, it was right after I had hit submit.  I swear I immediately began to log in to my accounts to see if my status had changed...at least ten times per day...for each program. 

I sense this activity is in my future. Like when December hits. So far, I've gone through all of my schools in the Results and mapped out when I might hear back from my programs.

I keep checking Waiting it Out, but it seems kind of desolate (at least biology-desolate), but I'll keep lurking.

The excitement is starting to sink in! I have one application complete and submitted, plus the NSF GRFP application submitted, and the rest at varying stages. I really want to get them done (not that I have much of a choice, most are due December 1st). The wait is going to kill me, though. I know I won't even have a shot at hearing about interviews until after the new year (and most likely not until February), but I'll probably be obsessively checking e-mail accounts and application systems for updates. Hopefully working on writing up my masters thesis will keep me busy through winter break.

UGH I am too excited and nobody is posting anything here or in the Waiting forum and my anxiety is spiking FAST. I got a couple strange emails from Pittsburgh and Colorado this week that said something along the lines of "your application is currently being reviewed".

I found this time to be the worst, you have no idea what is going to happen but everyone is asking you if you have heard (at least my friends and family were).  there is nothing worse than saying... no word yet.  But after the first one comes in time will start to fly as you prepare and anticipate travel plans etc.  I heard from my first school in December, so just enjoy the upcoming holidays and hold tight! 

We had a gradchat on this site but it was suspended mid interview session, talking to others was helpful since it gave me a group to be paranoid with.

There is an off site chat I am sure you can search GC for those who have posted it.

Here is how to get to and use the off-site gc. 

go to:

http://client00.chat.mibbit.com

In the Connect box select:  Rizon

Nick:  select the nickname you'd like to go by in chat

Channel:  #gradchat

Please remember this chat is NOT monitored or affiliated with this forum.  It is a site that those of us who regularly used the chat on thegradcafe.com prior to it being shut down, created to keep open an avenue for chatting in real time. 

Please be respectful and feel free to join in and ask questions or give advice or seek advice in a real-time chat setting.

Though it is grad-oriented it is not all grad school chat so its a great opportunity to commiserate and/or celebrate with your fellow applicants or graduate students.  There are currently a mix of attending and applying who regularly join the chat.