Who is getting excited!?

Crucial BBQ

I'm excited. I turned in all 7 apps this weekend. Told my bf that things would get really fun now that I have to sit around and wait. :rolleyes:

Ah, waiting can be both terrifying and exciting. I believe I heard back about my first three interviews within a week of applying, then it was radio silence until January. Good luck! Getting the interviews are the hard part!

COME ON DECEMBER 1st! I'm gettin' angsty.

I haven't even finished my applications, but it's already started. I missed a phone call yesterday from Maryland, and was nearly panicking before I remembered I didn't apply to any Maryland schools. I guess I'm going to have to bury myself in lab work to get through this. 

Ugh.  Looking at my transcript (from the university I earned my BS) is quite depression.  Feeling *why bother*

I feel yuh. I almost had a mental breakdown when I was reading over mine. 

I have submitted all my apps but one recommender still has not submitted my LOR to any of the schools I applied to.... Its driving me nuts and I'm trying to figure out how to nicely yell at him to submit before Monday at midnight :wacko:

I have submitted all my apps but one recommender still has not submitted my LOR to any of the schools I applied to.... Its driving me nuts and I'm trying to figure out how to nicely yell at him to submit before Monday at midnight :wacko:

I think most apps have "reminder emails" that you can send just as a heads-up. If they've committed to submitting before the deadline, then they should come through eventually. For my master's I had one professor wait until past 11:00 pm the night of the deadline. Nearly gave me a heart attack, and then I went and asked him for recommendations again this time around. He's the last to submit again, but we've been communicating about it, so I'm not worried. If they agreed to write the letter, then they want you to succeed. Just send a little reminder. They're busy, and it's a holiday weekend. It might have slipped their mind, or they're planning on submitting them on Monday. 

Oh man, I feel like I'm the only one out there still working on mine. I have been making slow progress throughout the summer and semester but I still have some essay editing and all that I want to do before hitting submit.

Did you guys have your current PI edit all of your personal statements or just one? Mine read the longest of my statements (one of my schools requires 2 seperate essays so he edited those) and then I have condensed them on my own for the other schools. He is a great writer and I am so used to having him edit my conference abstracts and posters and everything that Im a bit nervous to put the other 9 together without him looking over them! I just need the confidence to hit submit... once I hit submit on one then im sure the others will be easier!

Edited by bsharpe269

Did you guys have your current PI edit all of your personal statements or just one? Mine read the longest of my statements (one of my schools requires 2 seperate essays so he edited those) and then I have condensed them on my own for the other schools. He is a great writer and I am so used to having him edit my conference abstracts and posters and everything that Im a bit nervous to put the other 9 together without him looking over them! I just need the confidence to hit submit... once I hit submit on one then im sure the others will be easier!

I did not have my PI edit my SOP -- she not on our admissions committee and it's been ~40 years since she applied to grad school. I sent my SOP (just one) to my university's writing center and got advice on flow/structure/etc. I did the same thing you did, except in reverse -- I had a main SOP, and then I broke my SOP into two pieces and expanded upon those (for the few schools that requested two essays). All of my SOPs were basically the same, except I had a couple paragraphs that I changed for each school (what I like about the program, who I'd like to work with based on my interests).

I think you should hit submit and join the party! If you'd like, you can send it my way and I'll give you feedback. I'm a fairly nitpicky writer.

Oh man, I feel like I'm the only one out there still working on mine. I have been making slow progress throughout the summer and semester but I still have some essay editing and all that I want to do before hitting submit.

You're not the only one! I guess I have finished all of my December 1st applications, but UNC is December 2nd, and I'm still working on my two statements for the application. After that, I still have 3 more to do (possibly 4 if I get some positive feedback from a POI at Yale). I've got a lot to do this last week of class, but after December 9th, I'll have a lot more time on my hands and I can bang out the last few!

Well, it's worthwhile to spend the time editing and getting a nice, tailored SOP, right?  Don't be like me and paste the essay intended for the wrong department in the statement of purpose box, then realize it after submitting. 

You're not the only one! I guess I have finished all of my December 1st applications, but UNC is December 2nd, and I'm still working on my two statements for the application. After that, I still have 3 more to do (possibly 4 if I get some positive feedback from a POI at Yale). I've got a lot to do this last week of class, but after December 9th, I'll have a lot more time on my hands and I can bang out the last few!

Same here! All Dec. 1st are done, but I also have UNC on the 2nd, one on the 3rd, and then Dec. 15th, Jan 1st, and Jan. 15th applications. I feel like I'm running out of steam here, but I'm only just over halfway done. Hopefully I can finish up this week with all of them. I'm sick of having them over my head. At least after everything is submitted the hard part will be over, and we'll just have to wait and see what happens. 

Same here! All Dec. 1st are done, but I also have UNC on the 2nd, one on the 3rd, and then Dec. 15th, Jan 1st, and Jan. 15th applications. I feel like I'm running out of steam here, but I'm only just over halfway done. Hopefully I can finish up this week with all of them. I'm sick of having them over my head. At least after everything is submitted the hard part will be over, and we'll just have to wait and see what happens. 

I got UNC finished up last night, so I can breathe for a little while. I think my remaining applications will be easier, though. The four schools I have applied to so far had really different SOP requirements. U of Washington wanted a pretty standard SOP, while UNC and WUSTL each had two separate statements, and the requirements for each were very specific and unique to those schools. Indiana had a fairly general SOP, but I was limited to 500 words instead of 2 - 3 pages. The schools I have left follow the format of U of Washington with some minor differences, so I can pretty much work off of that statement and tailor it for each program.

I will be glad to be done with them! I'm getting tired of writing SOPs and I really just want to get to the anxious waiting part of applications.

So...when programs say that they have a deadline of X, does that mean applications are due ON X by 11:59pm, or does that mean applications are due by X-1 at 11:59pm ?

Today is December 1st, and many programs have deadlines of December 1st. Are applications due tonight at midnight or were they due last night at midnight?

Are they looking at my stuff today?

I got UNC finished up last night, so I can breathe for a little while. I think my remaining applications will be easier, though. The four schools I have applied to so far had really different SOP requirements. U of Washington wanted a pretty standard SOP, while UNC and WUSTL each had two separate statements, and the requirements for each were very specific and unique to those schools. Indiana had a fairly general SOP, but I was limited to 500 words instead of 2 - 3 pages. The schools I have left follow the format of U of Washington with some minor differences, so I can pretty much work off of that statement and tailor it for each program.

I will be glad to be done with them! I'm getting tired of writing SOPs and I really just want to get to the anxious waiting part of applications.

I hate 500 word limits. I have had a few for schools I'm really interested in, and I ended up hating my statement by the end of it. My long 2-3 page essay is about 1800 words, and cutting it down was horrible. I think I sounded like a robot by the end of it, and I hate that I'm going to be judged based on 500 words. Maybe the word count is indicative of how important the program thinks the essay is so the 500 word ones won't hurt me too badly.

So...when programs say that they have a deadline of X, does that mean applications are due ON X by 11:59pm, or does that mean applications are due by X-1 at 11:59pm ?

Today is December 1st, and many programs have deadlines of December 1st. Are applications due tonight at midnight or were they due last night at midnight?

I'm pretty sure the deadline means 11:59pm tonight. A few programs have explicitly said this, so I assume it's the case for everyone else. So I guess we have to wait a few more hours, and that's assuming they start reviewing them immediately. I'm not going to really start refreshing my e-mail every minute until next week I think. I still have a few later deadline applications to finish anyways.

Most of my December 1st applications are due at 11:59 tonight. As great as it would be if they look at them right away, I bet a lot of schools will wait until after finals and Christmas. Who knows I guess... I hope I hear back from some of them soon!

FREAKING OUT GUYS. Why can't they just tell me right away if I got interviews? ;)

On a side note, I don't own any business casual clothes for interviewing...what are you fellow ladies going to wear?

I have been bothered by the "business casual" thing too. I bought some slacks and a pair of black oxfords, but I'm stressing about shirts. I loathe button downs. They are never long enough for my torso (and I'm only 5'7). So I've been looking at other blouses, and I figure if I can buy 2-3, I would be set.

I just bought this: http://www.loft.com/petite-pleated-mixed-media-tee/356924 (except not in petite sizing) from LOFT as they are having a 50% off EVERYTHING sale today (Cyber Monday) and it made the shirt only $22...which is more than I'd ordinarily spend on a shirt (I'm thrifty), but I know it'll get a few uses.

I don't want to wear a dress because I don't want to deal with the "is it modest enough?" crap. Plus it'll be winter during interviews...

Don't be surprised if you hear for some schools (esp the December 1st deadlines) before the holidays.  I know some of my classmates who submitted early heard back within a day of the deadline passing.  So..... as of tomorrow, it can be at any time.

I'd be happy to answer some questions about lady scientists for interviews.  I believe I answered pasteltomato once this season thus far but if you have more specific questions I'd be happy to help.

In general, interview day was a suit day (pants, blouse, heels, and a matching suit jacket).  The other days were any kind of dressier pant (not jeans or khakis) with a sensible heel or flat and a blouse/sweater, or oxford.   I also always had a pair of jeans and boots with me for travel days as well as for graduate student only events such as tours of the city or such. 

I can post more if necessary.

I have been bothered by the "business casual" thing too. I bought some slacks and a pair of black oxfords, but I'm stressing about shirts. I loathe button downs. They are never long enough for my torso (and I'm only 5'7). So I've been looking at other blouses, and I figure if I can buy 2-3, I would be set.

I just bought this: http://www.loft.com/petite-pleated-mixed-media-tee/356924 (except not in petite sizing) from LOFT as they are having a 50% off EVERYTHING sale today (Cyber Monday) and it made the shirt only $22...which is more than I'd ordinarily spend on a shirt (I'm thrifty), but I know it'll get a few uses.

I don't want to wear a dress because I don't want to deal with the "is it modest enough?" crap. Plus it'll be winter during interviews...

I know man, I'm 5'10! Everything is too short for me and most "modest" style dresses are still too small. Awesome, thanks for the tip! I'll try to order some blouses from them today. 

I guess I'll have to get some slacks as well. Do you think nicer boots would be ok?

You would think I would learn how to dress nicely by this point! I've only ever worked in Seattle and SF (very casual cities, I could come to work in a neon onesie or sparkle pants and no one would bat an eye) and am just completely clueless. 

I'd be happy to answer some questions about lady scientists for interviews.  I believe I answered pasteltomato once this season thus far but if you have more specific questions I'd be happy to help.

In general, interview day was a suit day (pants, blouse, heels, and a matching suit jacket).  The other days were any kind of dressier pant (not jeans or khakis) with a sensible heel or flat and a blouse/sweater, or oxford.   I also always had a pair of jeans and boots with me for travel days as well as for graduate student only events such as tours of the city or such. 

This is really helpful. Thank you! Now us ladies have some idea of what to buy/pack for interview weekends!

Don't be surprised if you hear for some schools (esp the December 1st deadlines) before the holidays.  I know some of my classmates who submitted early heard back within a day of the deadline passing.  So..... as of tomorrow, it can be at any time.

I can post more if necessary.

Thanks! Just out of curiosity, did you interview more on the west coast or east? I'm only looking at west coast schools and hoping I can get away with dark jeans for the other days. 

Also, were there many women in heels? I'm already quite tall and don't enjoy towering over people at 6 ft+ in heels..