MSW @

daisydukes

I am applying to CSU Chico, Long Beach, Sacramento, San Jose & San Diego. 

I have a 3.2 GPA with about 1 year and 2 months paid experience, 450 hours of an internship, and various community service at YMCA, Homeless shelters, etc. 

Do you think this is enough to get accepted? 

It's always difficult to answer this question, since there are so many factors that the committee looks at. It's really case by case. You should really shoot for writing a stellar statement of purpose; emphasize your skills and really tailor it to the program's specific mission and values, they want to see you are a good fit after all. You should also pick people to write your reference letters who can really attest to your abilities as a future social worker. 

I know there are programs that highly recommend you to take the GRE if your GPA falls short of 3.3  (UCLA, for example). Others are  3.0. I think you have a good start! Be confident, showcase your skills and experience and your professional goals. There's not much to do at this point but try and see where it goes! 

I know from personal experienced that CSULB is very competitive. They receive an immense amount of applicants. 

I'll be applying to CSULB, CSUDH, CSUN, CSUF and UCLA.  I am reapplying to CSUDH and CSULB. Did it 2 years ago so crossing my fingers! 

I also applied to USC and was accepted, though I declined admission. I couldn't justify the tag price. Not for a SW degree. 

My GPA is short of a 3.0 and I have about 4 or 5 years of social service experience (I had about 2 and a half when I applied), so you see, it really depends on the program. 

Give it your best and best of luck to you ! 

Edited by saidypoo

For the statement of purpose, I wrote about how I was going to apply last year but didn't, and gave reasons as to why I didn't. Also, I wrote reasons as to why I feel like im ready to apply now, and added in a personal experience that contributed to my decision. Do you think that is good?

For the statement of purpose, I wrote about how I was going to apply last year but didn't, and gave reasons as to why I didn't. Also, I wrote reasons as to why I feel like im ready to apply now, and added in a personal experience that contributed to my decision. Do you think that is good?

Personally, I wouldn't focus on telling them the reasons why you didn't apply before, you never know how that might come off. I would, instead, list the reasons why you are ready now, always focus on the positive. Remember they want to see that you have the skills, abilities, and emotional maturity to make it in the program. You can, perhaps, briefly mention that you feel more ready than ever (this will infer that you weren't ready before for whatever reason) if you really want to mention that. But again, you don't want to focus too much on that. Rather, showcase how prepared you are now to succeed in the program. 

Thanks! 

Isn't the personal statement an opportunity to showcase your skills and abilities? It asks questions such as describe your experience working with diverse populations, and describe experiences working in a low income community that you feel will enhance your ability to succeed in the MSW program. 

Exactly. No need to talk about why you weren't ready before. As I mentioned before, you should focus on your skills, experience and readiness all the while tailoring just enough so it's compatible with the program you plan to attend. If you're applying for a clinical program and you're emphasizing how you'd like to do macro work, then they're gunna see you're not a very good fit. Alas, I would attend some informational sessions to get a better feel if you haven't already. Good luck.

Exactly. No need to talk about why you weren't ready before. As I mentioned before, you should focus on your skills, experience and readiness all the while tailoring just enough so it's compatible with the program you plan to attend. If you're applying for a clinical program and you're emphasizing how you'd like to do macro work, then they're gunna see you're not a very good fit. Alas, I would attend some informational sessions to get a better feel if you haven't already. Good luck.

Do you know if i can count a job I just got this month as experience on my application? 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I am applying to CSU Chico, Long Beach, Sacramento, San Jose & San Diego. 

I have a 3.2 GPA with about 1 year and 2 months paid experience, 450 hours of an internship, and various community service at YMCA, Homeless shelters, etc. 

Do you think this is enough to get accepted? 

Have you heard back from Chico yet daisydukes?

Thanks! I turn in the CSU mentor app on 11/26 and I turned in the packet on 1/7.

Oh wow, that was really fast. Did they notify you by email? What program did you apply for LB? I applied for the advanced standing program. 

Thanks! I turn in the CSU mentor app on 11/26 and I turned in the packet on 1/7.

Oh wow, that was really fast. Did they notify you by email? What program did you apply for LB? I applied for the advanced standing program. 

I too was shocked by how fast I heard back. I applied to the advanced standing program with a concentration in child and family wellbeing. I first received a call from Lisa the director of admissions about whether I had went to an informational session. On the very next day I received an email stating I was recommend for admissions into the advanced standing program. I had 10 days to send them my acceptance checklist, which I did to save my space. About one week after 1/29 I received another email stating I was admitted into CSULB and the accept and decline buttons appeared. As of now I'm just waiting to receive a finacial aid package, although Lisa already informed me that I would have to pay $3,500 out of pocket for the summer bridge program. I hope to know more info before I attend the mandatory orientation on March 21.

I too was shocked by how fast I heard back. I applied to the advanced standing program with a concentration in child and family wellbeing. I first received a call from Lisa the director of admissions about whether I had went to an informational session. On the very next day I received an email stating I was recommend for admissions into the advanced standing program. I had 10 days to send them my acceptance checklist, which I did to save my space. About one week after 1/29 I received another email stating I was admitted into CSULB and the accept and decline buttons appeared. As of now I'm just waiting to receive a finacial aid package, although Lisa already informed me that I would have to pay $3,500 out of pocket for the summer bridge program. I hope to know more info before I attend the mandatory orientation on March 21.

Congrats tlove11!!! CSULB is/was my first choice but I'm pending and I was accepted to CSUDH.

Congrats tlove11!!! CSULB is/was my first choice but I'm pending and I was accepted to CSUDH.

Thanks! I'm not sure I have a first choice. I just want to get my MSW and not have to go to much in debt.

Oh wow, I just sent in my application. I should have applied earlier, the spots are probably all filled up :/ 

Oh wow, I just sent in my application. I should have applied earlier, the spots are probably all filled up :/ 

You still have a chance, stay positive. Who knows, you may hear back next week with a decision.

Thanks! I'm not sure I have a first choice. I just want to get my MSW and not have to go to much in debt.

I totally understand the debt part too well, which is why I prefer a CSU or private or going out of state. But CSULB has the added bonus that majority of their courses are the additional hours for licensing. So it's a win-win when taking classes there.

• 2 weeks later...

I applied to the 2-year program

I noticed you mentioned CSULB being your first choice. It's mine too but I just got into CSUDH. I have about a week to accept. Do you if we can accept but withdraw later in case we're accepted elsewhere or is that really poor decorum? I'm kinda lost there.