MSW @

daisydukes

I noticed you mentioned CSULB being your first choice. It's mine too but I just got into CSUDH. I have about a week to accept. Do you if we can accept but withdraw later in case we're accepted elsewhere or is that really poor decorum? I'm kinda lost there. 

I'm not sure. I thought of that as well based off CSULB has more course going towards getting your license in the future. But at this point I'm just sticking to the program who has accepted me at this point. We'll all be interning, and possibly working together in the future.

I'm not sure. I thought of that as well based off CSULB has more course going towards getting your license in the future. But at this point I'm just sticking to the program who has accepted me at this point. We'll all be interning, and possibly working together in the future.

I had a question about this, as I've seen it mentioned more than once in this board. Maybe I missed something on the CSULB website, but are you talking about the pre-licensing workshops that they offer or the actual MSW courses themselves? I haven't seen anything in their curriculum about MSW courses counting towards the continuing education credits for licensing, only the stuff on the pre-licensing workshops and with that, you have to pay in addition to tuition but you do get a discount if you're a student at CSULB. However, anyone can take these workshops that signs up and pays for them. 

Also, as far as I know, all accredited MSW programs, especially the CSU's follow pretty much the same curriculum, same books, give or take. Though it would be awesome to knock out some of the licensing courses as part of the program.

Edited by Cali_Coast

I had a question about this, as I've seen it mentioned more than once in this board. Maybe I missed something on the CSULB website, but are you talking about the pre-licensing workshops that they offer or the actual MSW courses themselves? I haven't seen anything in their curriculum about MSW courses counting towards the continuing education credits for licensing, only the stuff on the pre-licensing workshops and with that, you have to pay in addition to tuition but you do get a discount if you're a student at CSULB. However, anyone can take these workshops that signs up and pays for them. 

Also, as far as I know, all accredited MSW programs, especially the CSU's follow pretty much the same curriculum, same books, give or take. Though it would be awesome to knock out some of the licensing courses as part of the program.

Yes i meant for the pre-licensing workshops. They have MSW courses that count as the workshop courses in the continued education program. So it's taking your mandatory courses and workshop courses together. The most you'll have to come out of pocket would be for two pre-licensing courses through through the extended workshop. CSULB has the most courses to offer that cover all the courses required, that's what drawn me to program initially.

Yes i meant for the pre-licensing workshops. They have MSW courses that count as the workshop courses in the continued education program. So it's taking your mandatory courses and workshop courses together. The most you'll have to come out of pocket would be for two pre-licensing courses through through the extended workshop. CSULB has the most courses to offer that cover all the courses required, that's what drawn me to program initially.

That's pretty cool. I had heard it mentioned before but didn't see that much about it in terms of their website. I understand a little more now why their program is seen in such high regard with many having it as their first choice. SDSU only has 2 classes that will count towards pre-licensing coursework, that I know of but the other three aren't too bad for paying out of pocket. CSULB was definitely a contender for me but it came down to too many MSW programs within L.A. in competition (fieldwork wise). 

I applied and recently attended a group interview.

I also applied to CSUN around the beginning of January and just completed my group interview as well.

They contacted me the first week in February for my interview.

I'll tell you about the group interview because I'm sure you want to know :)

6-8 people, I had 8.

Every one introduces themselves

Everyone is then given a question pertaining the social work (not a personal question) and has to answer it on the spot

Complete a group activity

Then answer a 'why have you chosen social work' type of question

Everything is completed in the group environment

Hope that helps!

I also applied to CSUN around the beginning of January and just completed my group interview as well.

6-8 people, I had 8.

Everyone is then given a question pertaining the social work (not a personal question) and has to answer it on the spot

Hope that helps!

Ok cool. Thank you.

When did you submit your application for CSUN and how long until the notified you for the group interview?

I mailed my application on Jan 10th, the post office attendant told me that they would receive it that Monday. I was notified of the group interview on Feb 2nd. I attended my interview 2 weeks later. I have not heard back from them yet.

6-8 people, I had 8.

Hope that helps!

6-8 people, I had 8.

Hope that helps!

Have you heard back from CSUN? when did you attend your interview?

That's pretty cool. I had heard it mentioned before but didn't see that much about it in terms of their website. I understand a little more now why their program is seen in such high regard with many having it as their first choice. SDSU only has 2 classes that will count towards pre-licensing coursework, that I know of but the other three aren't too bad for paying out of pocket. CSULB was definitely a contender for me but it came down to too many MSW programs within L.A. in competition (fieldwork wise). 

Do you know if  SDSU requires advanced standing students to take the qualifying exam? If so when?

Do you know if  SDSU requires advanced standing students to take the qualifying exam? If so when?

I don't believe they do, just because technically you've already proven you can do the work just by having your BSW and now doing the Master's in 1 year versus 2. 

As I been scrolling through these posts, I see that being on the CSULB "pending" list means that we won't hear back for a while correct? and is the two-year program full technically? 

This is something I'd like to know too! Also, is it supposed to say anywhere that we are "pending?"  I just check the applicant self-service to see if it has updated.

Edited by tamburger

I wonder what they look at CSULB? at my job we have a first year intern from the program and he said he did not have a lot of social work experience, but he had advised me on the personal statement and "pulling heartstrings" is good so I am guessing the people in the program have good personal stories in addition, to academics. I received a "pending" email February 10th. 

I wonder what they look at CSULB? at my job we have a first year intern from the program and he said he did not have a lot of social work experience, but he had advised me on the personal statement and "pulling heartstrings" is good so I am guessing the people in the program have good personal stories in addition, to academics. I received a "pending" email February 10th. 

That's a good sign that you heard back, even if it is a pending update! My app is still stuck on the dreaded "Your application has been reviewed and has been forwarded to the academic department for their review..."

My grades aren't the best, and I only have some related experience, so I feel like I'm just a wildcard at this point. Are you working at a social work agency Dona_Junta?

That's a good sign that you heard back, even if it is a pending update! My app is still stuck on the dreaded "Your application has been reviewed and has been forwarded to the academic department for their review..."

My grades aren't the best, and I only have some related experience, so I feel like I'm just a wildcard at this point. Are you working at a social work agency Dona_Junta?

Yes, I am a case manager at a homeless veteran agency. I have been doing it almost two years. There are two women at the agency that were graduates of the CSULB program (about six years ago) but they are older and had 15+ years in social services one as a director of a non-profit and the other case management, counseling,so I am thinking maybe they do go by the most  experienced at times. However, one of our interns is a first year at CSULB and he had little SW experience. He was in the military and came from a disadvantaged background so maybe that helped him along with good academics. I would like more insight on other candidates though.