Lincoln, NE

sam3135

Congrats on your acceptance! A couple of questions to try and help you:

1) Will your program be at City Campus or East Campus?

2) How many beds/baths do you need?

3) Do you have a car or will you be using the bus system?

4) What's your budget?

Thanks!

1. City Campus. My building will be right next to the football stadium.

2. I'm debating on just a 1br/b place (I'm not married or with kids) or teaming up with another grad student for a nice 2br place.

3. I have a car, but I'd love to have a very short commute (or even be able to walk/bike).

4. I have a stipend, and even though it isn't great I can probably afford somewhere between $300-500 for a place.

Here are a couple of recommendations for one bedrooms:

The Links: very nice place, and it offers a shuttle to an from campus. For $535 you can get a great 1 bedroom with a washer and dryer included. The complex is newer (within the last 10 years) and sets on a golf course. It also has all the frills like a pool, gym, etc. Here is a link:

http://www.lindseymanagement.com/cgi-bin/detail.cgi?type=apt&id=289

Fountain Glen: they have both studios and 1 bedrooms in your price range, and I know several people who have lived there and liked it.

http://www.rentcip.com/Residential/Lincoln/FountainGlen.aspx

Ridge Hollow: I actually lived at a sister property of theirs, but I like this one better because of location.

http://www.perryreid.com/ridgehollow/lincoln-ne-apartments.asp

Chateau: These complexes are consistently voted Lincoln's best by their residents.

http://www.chateaudev.com/

These are all "complexes" rather than just apartment buildings. If you are looking to save some money and not worry about the extra amenities, I would recommend checking out craigslist for additional options. Also, rooming up with another grad student will also open your options up substantially as you can get a really nice 2 bedroom for $700-$750.

A couple of neighborhoods to stay away from:

I would stay away from places in the North Bottoms, right by campus. This neighborhood, while they are trying to revitalize it, is rundown, old, and swarming with party-loving undergrads.

I would also steer you away from anywhere within several blocks from 13th and F. We don't have a lot of crime in Lincoln, but if something is going to go down, this is where it will be.

I would also stay away from 23rd to 27th street between Vine and Holdrege...another sketchy area.

A couple of neighborhoods to stay away from:

I would stay away from places in the North Bottoms, right by campus. This neighborhood, while they are trying to revitalize it, is rundown, old, and swarming with party-loving undergrads.

I would also steer you away from anywhere within several blocks from 13th and F. We don't have a lot of crime in Lincoln, but if something is going to go down, this is where it will be.

I would also stay away from 23rd to 27th street between Vine and Holdrege...another sketchy area.

Sorry to butt in, but are there any 'must-avoid' areas like these around the East Campus? Or are they all generally okay, as you said earlier in the thread?

Sorry to butt in, but are there any 'must-avoid' areas like these around the East Campus? Or are they all generally okay, as you said earlier in the thread?

Not really...the area around East Campus isn't really a "crime" area like the other areas I mentioned. There are some apartments around like 46th and Dudley/Orchard Streets that can be kind of sketchy. If given the choice, I would also try to stay away from any of the neighborhoods directly west of East Campus (from 27th to 33rd between Clinton and Leighton).

I would look out for super old houses that aren't going to hold in any heat/cool and make sure that your place has designated parking! The streets in the entire area are always lined with cars and parking can be a huge hassle. Try to get a place with at least a driveway that is yours to park in.

Wow thanks ILuvPysch2013!! I just visted Lincoln the past weekend for the first time and really enjoyed my time there until the tornado sirens went off...is that normal? I was hearing a lot of mixed responses to this. people were saying it is normal and it can happen (tornado wiping out Lincoln) but other people were laughing at it and making jokes saying "Lincoln can never get hit, why are sirens going off?!?" Anyways, being from the coasts makes me very uneducated in tornadoes, although I have been researching on my own in the matter. Thanks!

Things I would add to this conversation, as I've lived in Lincoln for the past five years as an undergrad and then as a not undergrad for a year: based on personal experience, I've never, ever felt in any kind or level of danger anywhere in the city. I live a few blocks from 13th & F, actually, and my block is directly next to a nice little park and a few blocks from a grocery store. I'd actually suggest living in the area directly south of the capital! Rents are cheap, and you're within easy biking/walking distance of downtown, which is basically the only part of Lincoln that I care about.

Not to be too harsh on previous posters, but "sketchy" to most people in Lincoln means "poor people and/or minorities are clustered in this area." The vast majority of my friends live somewhere in the area south of the capital, and I've heard exactly one bad story about a particular person's living arrangement but it mostly had to do with an upstairs neighborhood who was a jerk. I should say that I did have a bad experience at a particular building, too, but it was at bottom of the market, month-to-month rental place and basically everyone there was cool except for the guy who lived directly across from me. My current place is quiet and well-maintained and about $365 a month; never had any problems at all in 9 months of living here.

That said: yeah, don't live in the North Bottoms. Lots of shitty, old houses that are rented out as party houses basically. And try to find someplace with designated parking, if you have a car.

Generally: Lincoln is cheap, quiet, and there's not a lot to do unless you're a sports person (I'm not.). Places worth checking out in my opinion are basically the Coffee House, the Mill (another, less good coffee place in my opinion), Jake's Cigar Bar (great beer selection and you can smoke inside!)....Yia's Yia's (good pizza and good bottled beer selection), Duffy's is okay (get a fishbowl with your grad school pal's!), and I personally like O'Rourke's for the free popcorn and cheap pitchers. The Bourbon Theatre has decent music in-house on a, like, quarterly basis (you can tell if a band you've heard of is in town because there will be a line stretching around the block). Oh, and if you like Independent Cinema at all, there's the Ross Theatre, which is part of campus.

And as far as Tornadoes: tornadoes hit the actual town I think like four or five years ago? It's mostly a concern during the summer, obviously, and it's very rare but it's certainly possible. You're probably more liking to get hit by a city bus than you are to die by tornado, though, so I wouldn't sweat it much.

Wow, this is quite offensive. Trust me, I am the last person in the world who would stereotype people based on their SES or ethnicity; in fact, it is my area of specialty in research.

Let me clarify "sketchy": drug deals, muggings, stabbings, and break-ins. These are the kinds of events that I have known to happen in these areas. That being said, Lincoln is a safe place to live and these events are in no way "common". Living here my whole life, I am comfortable in saying that if these things are going to happen, the areas I mentioned are generally where they occur.

Dienekes is right about the tornadoes: not a major concern outside summer, but still something to be aware of.

Sorry, I didn't mean to call you out exactly; I just get really tired of telling people where I live in town and they act like I must be in constant danger of getting mugged or something. Certainly, it's true that the area directly around 13th & F is a high crime area for Lincoln, Nebraska. I guess I'd like to see some kind of comparison of crime statistics, but the point really isn't as important to me as just stressing that the near south area is a perfectly fine and in fact great place to live! Convenient to campus and downtown, cheap rents, and honestly there are a lot of beautiful older buildings in the area; I just don't want "well there's this one bad block" to scare people away from the area.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Wow, the info in this thread is very helpful. Thanks everyone.

(1) I will be moving sometime from the beginning of July to early August. I have been monitoring Craigslist ads and surprisingly have not seen many decent postings for yearly leases. Most are looking for people to sublet their rooms to in the summer. Does that mean it's already kinda late for year-long leases? Other than Craigslist, are there other classified Web sites?

I am looking to room with 1 to 3 people starting in August and am looking at $300-$500 price range.

(2) Is there a certain date where the majority of leases end in Lincoln? In the city where I am living now, Aug. 14 is the move-out date and Aug. 15 is the move-in date for most of the leases. So there are many homeless people on the night of the 14. If there is such a date, I would definitely like to find a place before that. And there will be many sales around that time so that I will make sure I will be in Loncoln to get mattresses, tables, desks, etc.

Thanks.

Hi boysh!

I've lived in Lincoln for 5 years, and can tell you that a lot of places have not exactly grasped the digital revolution yet. I've always had the most luck just driving around town and looking for "For Rent" signs, but that may not be an option for you right now.

I currently rent a downtown studio apartment from Nebraska Real Estate Solutions, Inc. (http://www.nebraskaris.com/), and it's $320/month + utilities, and witihin 10 minutes (walking) of the downtown campus. They have a lot of other properties scattered around town that you could get more information on, although if you wanted roommates you'd have to maybe post an ad on Craigslist searching for one.

If you do find a couple roommates, another place I've had a lot of good experience with is Chateau Development (http://www.chateaudev.com/). It's a large complex/area near 56th and Vine Streets (about 15 minutes drive to city campus, and less than 5 minutes to east campus); they have apartments and townhomes ranging from 1-3 bedrooms and are very reasonably priced.

Since it's a college town, a lot of places offer 9 month leases, so leases end all year long. A lot of places (Nebraska RIS, for example) only allow people to reserve a place 30 days in advance, so you'll find a few more openings for August pop up in early July. Hope this helps, and good luck with the move!

• 2 weeks later...

HEY ALL!!

As has already been stated, GREAT forum.

I am in the same boat as several people who have already posted. I am starting a Psychology Ph.d this Fall 2012, and am looking to move to Lincoln mid-July.

I'm a 23yr chill guy, moving from the east coast (went to school at the University of Maryland, but live in New Jersey). I am also a little skittish about the 'moving to the mid-west from a more city-lifestyle', but everyone I have spoken to has been very nice, so that's great!

QUESTIONS:

Is craiglist an acceptable place to be looking? I had never used it before, but it seems to have A LOT of traffic and I have been getting a lot of replies. (this is me if anyone is interested in seeing the post btw: http://lincoln.craig...3032467426.html)

If anyone is looking for a potential roommate let me know!! As I wrote on my post, I want to live in a cool environment where I not just tolerate the presence of the people I live with, BUT actually enjoy it and consider them friends. (too much to ask for? hope not!) I'm willing to skype/facebook or whatever to see if it would work out!

Juan

• 8 months later...

Bump! 

Considering an offer of admission to UNL Ag Econ! Ok so I've read all the past threads and I get it. I did my undergrad in Eugene, OR. Nothing but a college town, so I know how hard it can be to find a place in the late summer. OK so lets get past that stuff and talk specifics.

I have a 6 year old Labrador. I've raised him since he was only 7 weeks old so please don't even bother recommending adoption. But after living in SF and now Las Vegas, I'm hoping I can find a YARD!  A small 1-2 bedroom bungalow/house with a small fenced yard would be incredible. I'm guessing around $600-$700/month. 

So, am I dreaming here or is that a reasonable thing to find in Lincoln? I have a car so I don't need to be right on top of campus. I think my department is housed in the East Campus, so while I can commute to class, hopefully it wouldn't be more than 15 minutes commute.

Any suggestions?

Bump! 

Considering an offer of admission to UNL Ag Econ! Ok so I've read all the past threads and I get it. I did my undergrad in Eugene, OR. Nothing but a college town, so I know how hard it can be to find a place in the late summer. OK so lets get past that stuff and talk specifics.

I have a 6 year old Labrador. I've raised him since he was only 7 weeks old so please don't even bother recommending adoption. But after living in SF and now Las Vegas, I'm hoping I can find a YARD!  A small 1-2 bedroom bungalow/house with a small fenced yard would be incredible. I'm guessing around $600-$700/month. 

So, am I dreaming here or is that a reasonable thing to find in Lincoln? I have a car so I don't need to be right on top of campus. I think my department is housed in the East Campus, so while I can commute to class, hopefully it wouldn't be more than 15 minutes commute.

Any suggestions?

Congrats on your offer! There are a lot of rentals like what you are describing. I agree with the other poster: check out craigslist. With Ag Econ, will you be on East Campus then? If so, even better. There are tons of small houses within a mile each direction. If you are on city campus, you may need to search a little farther out, but still possible. Hope this helps!

• 1 month later...

I am finding it hard to rent sight unseen for Lincoln NE this fall 2013. I am a non-traditional, 33year old married student, with a dog. My wife will be attending grad school out of state in Fargo ND though, so it will be just me and the dog. I don't want to be near loud partying undergraduates, but i don't want to be really far from the school either. Does anyone reside there now? Could you give me a heads up for neighborhoods to avoid and ones that are good for quiet?

I am told to avoid North Bottoms because it is a loud. partying undergraduate atmosphere.

Any advice would be appriciated.

I am looking for 400-600 in rent, and my dog is 45 pounds, and a shepard mix.

• 10 months later...

I applied, but won't know until March. I've been there many times if you have questions though.

Hi! Thanks for your reply. I hope you get in!

I see your from Seattle? I applied to UW but i havent gotten any word from them yet. Have you applied there, too?

Hi maiwalker,

Just popped into this thread and noticed that you're from Manila- I'm a current UNL student who's also from there. :) Feel free to ask questions about Lincoln/UNL, although I'm not a psych major.

Hi, Mallorn! Nice to hear from you! Sent you PM!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I am an international student and I might go to UNL this fall. Currently waiting for funding decision.

Thanks for everyone who contributed to this thread, very useful info for newbies!

Edited by fannek

Hi guys,

I am an international student and I might go to UNL this fall. Currently waiting for funding decision.

Thanks for everyone who contributed to this thread, very useful info for newbies!

Hi, fannek!  I, too, might go to UNL.  Still waiting for funding decision to come around April or May.  The problem is, the deadline for acceptance is April 1.  Is that your case, too?

Hi, fannek!  I, too, might go to UNL.  Still waiting for funding decision to come around April or May.  The problem is, the deadline for acceptance is April 1.  Is that your case, too?

In my case I will get news hopefully this week (department of Agricultural Economics is gonna meet on Thursday to talk about funding).

Good luck to all of us!