Peace Corps

floatinggreenskull

I'm a senior undergraduate in Musicology/Anthropology. I have always intended to apply for PhD programs in ethnomusicology (essentially, the musical side of anthropology) following graduation, and eventually assume a teaching position somewhere.

As I'm writing this, I am currently in the middle of a semester's long study abroad program in an Eastern European country I've lived in briefly once before. I returned because this area has musical traditions I'd like to research further in my grad studies, so I figured it would be worthwhile to seize an opportunity for a better foothold on the language, do an internship, and perform independent ehtnomusicological fieldwork which will go into my senior thesis (to be completed next semester). 

I have always hoped that graduate schools would look upon this thesis and my fieldwork here favourably, as an indication I am capable of undertaking and completing such a project. To be perfectly honest, I am aiming high...the only way I will ever attend grad school is if I can do so for free. Yale, Columbia, Brown, UCLA, and a few others, to give a gist.

However, lately I've been thinking that I simply want to be a useful human being for a bit. Serving two years in the Peace Corps has always been in the back of my mind, and since I will be graduating next semester, it seems like next year would be the perfect time to do so. I could take a break from academic life and gain more worldly experience. You know, sometimes I'm not even 100% sure that teaching ethno in a uni or even going to grad school for it is exactly the right path. Perhaps spending time away doing something like the Peace Corps could also be useful in helping me to figure this out.

The main issue is, I am unsure if I should join PC before or after grad school. Would graduate schools even care if I was a successful PC volunteer, given that it will be unlikely any PC programs will be related to my field of study (aside from the chance to possibly learn more about local musical traditions on the side while I am there)? Would it be better to hit grad school right out of undergrad? Will I be shooting myself in the foot for doing what will probably be completely unrelated volunteer work overseas before I apply? 

What about letters of recommendation? I am confident I could get extremely strong ones now; is it unheard of to have letters of rec written and then stored somewhere until use? I also still need to take the GRE. If I joined the Peace Corps, I'm not sure I'd have time to take it before leaving...

In summary: if I apply now, I will have some undergrad research experience, language training, one possible publication, and travel experience all related to what I want to study in grad school. But, I feel like taking two years off and joining the Peace Corps before applying might be a good idea. Or not? I don't know. 

Any insight would be tremendously helpful and much appreciated. 

Alright so I think there are two different reasons you touch on for joining the Peace Corps:

1) The standard reason people probably do these things: see the world, learn about yourself, give back, etc.

2) Grad school applications

I think that number 1 is a great reason to do Peace Corps and I think that number 2 is a really really bad reason. One of my best friends is with PC in africa right now and loving it. It can be an amazing experience. It will also be a really really difficult experience and you need an internal desire to do it to get through. In general, grad school wants the best researchers. This sort of thing can set you apart between similar candidates but is not going to make them pull your application out of a pile. This sort of thing definitely will not hurt your application though. In summary, If you do it then do it for youself, not for grad school.

Regarding your other questions, if you will get strong LORs now then Im sure they will remember you in 2 years. Just talk to them and let them know your plans and they can decide whether they want to write letters now or feel that they will remember you well in a couple years. Definitely dont go after grad school. If you want an academic job then you will need to use your connections to find a postdoc and at that point, taking time off could be bad. If you want to do something like this then do it now.

You may also want to look into fullbright. They offer year long things abroad. If you are less concerned with integrating into a culture and more concerned with grad school apps (im not implying that you are or that it is bad if you are) then that might be more along the lines of what you want. Some of the countries have opportunities for reasearch abroad and others are more for teaching english. I think it is considered a bit more academic which may make it look better for grad school. Im not saying one is better than the other since they are 2 very different experiences but it may be worth looking at to determine which is more in line with what you want.

I know at least two grad students off the top of my head in a small top-ten department who served in the Peace Corps before applying to grad school, and neither of them even had undergrad degrees in the field they were in grad school for (and it was academic grad school, not professional school). It's not unusual for students to take a couple years between undergrad and grad school, and pretty much every grad student I've ever talked to about grad school advised me to do so. You can tell your recommenders the plan, have them write the letters when you're fresh in their minds, store them with a dossier service, then update your recommenders when you get back from the Peace Corps so they can edit the letters if need be.

I was with Fulbright and another international exchange program overseas for two years before applying to graduate school, and it was both an amazing experience and helped my grad school application! I highly recommend taking some time off after undergrad, because it will give you time to relax, recover from burnout, and assess whether you really want to go to grad school while getting a chance to try out a "real job" in the meantime. If you would like to know more about Fulbright, feel free to PM me.

Peace Corps first. The experience will serve you very well in determining your life path, including your grad path and beyond.

Do it. Be changed by it. Become a better human, and figure out how to better serve the world. You can do it.

Bsharpe and lzs give sage advice on planning ahead for LORs. Maelia's Fulbright suggestion is also def worth looking into.

Good luck.

Thank you all for the replies and thoughtful advice.

I went ahead and applied, and was just notified that I am in consideration for a position in Gambia. Just waiting to see if I am selected for an interview. If I get this position, I'd be departing June 2015...and that seems really quite close!

Committing to two years in West Africa feels super daunting to me right now. I've been reading blogs run by Peace Corps members who have served in that region, and it does look to be one of the more difficult places to be assigned, in regards to living situation. However, I am more daunted by the inevitable periods of loneliness I will encounter, as well as the fact that I am a lone female.

I am also supposed to move into an apartment with someone upon returning to the states in December, so I will need to continue paying the rent for that place while I am abroad. Additionally, I am in need of a job for this coming semester, and now I am worried that no one will hire me due to the fact that I would be leaving for Africa so soon (assuming I am accepted). 

Another (rather superficial) worry of mine is that, if I serve in the Peace Corps and decide to still do grad school when I return, I will be 28-29 upon beginning my PhD...and that feels old! I know, I know...just figured I'd voice ALL of my stupid concerns...

Edited by floatinggreenskull

• 3 months later...

I can't comment specifically regarding pursuing ethnomusicology, but let me briefly add my 2 cents given that I'm currently serving as a Peace Corps Volunteer and have been for over 2 years. 

1) bsharpe269 is correct - serve because you have a desire and a will to - not for the application. 2+ years is a long time - it becomes your life, your day to day, and it can't and shouldn't be compartmentalized/boxed into a resume/application point. If you are doing it for something to put on your application it will be a long and difficult 2 years.

2) I personally can't recommend serving in the Peace Corps enough. It has been the most rewarding, productive and incredible experience of my life, hands down, both professionally and personally. I can attest to the fact that the skills you learn both in the work place and in terms of your personal development as a human being are unrivaled and can be utilized and leveraged in a variety of different ways. You will end up doing so many different things at your work site (this is almost universally the case no matter what project plan or program area you serve in) that inevitably you can spin some of them in effective ways to apply to nearly any grad school program. In short, it can and will be useful on your application, regardless of if you are pursuing ethnomusicology or something else, and despite the fact that the work you will likely do in Peace Corps will not necessarily directly relate to the exact academic field you are looking at. Its a versatile, well rounded experience that is ultimately what you make of it. Just make sure you are committed and invested in being an effective volunteer and are certain you can fulfill the 27 month obligation. 

Edited by MaverickZ