Passion lost.

SNPCracklePop

Hello.  I'm in the beginning of my fifth year in my Ph.D. program, and I am just not into research anymore.  I feel like my project is going nowhere, and I find myself reading more about alternative biomed careers than my research topic.  A postdoc position doesn't interest me in the slightest, and too much uncertainty and too few TT jobs in the academic track for my liking.  

However, I still want to finish my program, because I feel so much has been sacrificed to get to this point.  I'm curious, when your interest or passion fades, how do you find the inspiration to push forward?  Thank you for your help!

I'm at the same stage as you in my program, also battling fading interest. I heard/read about various alternative careers over the years, and those opportunities sound much more attractive than the gloomy academia career. I thought about quitting many times throughout the years; I even attempted to leave my program but our program director convinced me to stick around. 

But true reason I'm still here is that there are plenty of resources at my institution for people who want to step away from the ivory tower: workshops, seminars, and career development groups. I would have no access to them once I cease being a student at this school. Maybe your institution is the same way? You could look into on-campus student groups or other opportunities to network or gain some volunteering experience related to the alternative career you interest in. 

Can you treat your research as a regular job? A lot of people aren't passionate about their jobs, so if you're getting paid, perhaps you can treat it that way. Formalise your hours with yourself (9-6 Mon-Fri, or whatever you want/need), and know that you are not obliged to work beyond those times. It can help keep your current research on track while also giving you plenty of time to look into what you think you want to do in the future, or take your mind off your situation by freeing your mind up on the evenings and weekends.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been told by some mentors that when you've reached the point of complete disinterest in your research, you start research alternate careers, and you're advisor and lab mates seem to do nothing but frustrate you, it's a great indication that the time has come to graduate and move on. 

I find this blog post from The Thesis Whisperer to be helpful for some perspective (warning: therein be some salty language, as befits the frustration level I think).

^Of course, that's not to negate that there may be some real reality to attend to here, on the planning front (it might legit be time to get 'er done and move on and, you know, plotting something other than the TT pursuit).

Thanks for checking in with an update - I'm glad that you're doing some seminars and workshops, I too have found those helpful.

I also find Versatile PhD to be a great resource. I went to one of their meet-ups a little while ago and they're great! I also follow a handful of similar accounts on twitter (like @FromPhDtoLife).

Good luck!