Mid-range (Safety-esque Masters Programs Religious Studies)

Chelsea0913

Hi guys.

We know the big name schools in religious studies- but I was wondering if anyone had advice regarding a masters in compartivie religions or psychology and/of religion? Rice seems legitimate, but it's hard to even know what a safey school could be on a masters level that's still great and interesting and challenging and all that. Any thoughts?

Thank you!

Denver has an interesting program I briefly considered (applying for Comm there instead).

What regional area and/or which religion(s) do you want to focus on?

Edited by jujubea

Hey, thanks for the response! Denver does seem pretty good. I don't have a regional preference, and i'm looking to study comparative religions, with less focus on christianity and moreso on eastern traditions and judaism. i'd like to combine psychology and counseling if possible. 

I hope you're applying to UCSB. They have a spectacular program for what you're looking into.

Eastern traditions, Judaism, relevant languages, and even a Cog Sci emphasis. Some seriously cool research coming out of their PhD students right now.

Oh - and bonus - since it looks like you're starting with MA first, they have a MA/PhD combined program, meaning you can streamline right on towards your PhD without reapplying. But they also offer a terminal Master's, if that's what you're looking for. 

Their programs fits my needs and interests so perfectly, it's the only Religious Studies program I'm applying to. Unfortunately, they have a less than ideal funding situation from what I understand, so it's pretty unlikely I'd get my financial needs met there in the end :/ 

Edited by jujubea