Canadian MA applicants - Fall 2015

bigbluemonster

Dunno if this is appropriate or not [u.S. applicant applying for MA to Canadian school] but still waiting to hear back from Simon Fraser University in Burnaby B.C.

Their criminology program has a lot of what I'm looking for in terms of crime mapping and such, can't wait to hear if I was accepted or rejected. 

I hope you hear some positive news, good luck! :)

Accepted at Simon Fraser University with a guaranteed 34k for their 2 year program. It requires I be a a graduate assistant I think, but it's a stellar deal given that their tuition is only 7k a year. 

If Texas and Cincinnati can't compete with that, I will be getting my student visa and enjoying your guys' country by the Fall.

Edited by Sword_Saint

10K a year does not go far in Vancouver though, keep that in mind. 

Thank you for bringing that up, when I looked at housing in the Burnaby area it was pretty affordable (many options within the 400-700 dollar range) but I haven't looked into some of the other expenses. I will be spending two months during the summers back home working on funded research and I will apply for other scholarships for my second year. The package from SFU then being for about 10 months of the year and not 12.

The high expenses in Vancouver, are you attributing them to gasoline costs, food costs, utilities or something else?

Everything is expensive in Vancouver, everything. 

Luckily, SFU is located in the suburbs, so there are some options for cheaper rent. Look at places like New Westminster and Coquitlam as well which can be a bit more affordable. If you are near the skytrain, it wouldn't be that much of a longer commute than Burnaby depending of course on where in Burnaby (it's quite a large municipality). I would highly recommend living off the hill, I have never studied at SFU but I heard it's pretty depressing if you are always up there. 

Food prices are ridiculous, especially produce and dairy. However, not sure how much different than Alaska it is due to its remoteness so it might not be that much different than what you are used to. 

Communications services are often quite expensive in Canada due to the private sector's lack of competition, so cell phone bills and internet can be pricey. Bring an unlocked phone and get a monthly contract. 

Gas is ridiculous. Even with the reduction since the price of oil went down you are looking at about $1.20 a litre, which is approx. $4.50 for a gallon in reference. Insurance can be pricey as well. Honestly, I would highly recommend not having a car in Vancouver. The public transportation is good enough to forego it and it will save you a lot of money. 

Utilities, such as heating and electricity really aren't that bad; BC has a pretty solid energy sector. 

Edited by victorydance

Everything is expensive in Vancouver, everything. 

Luckily, SFU is located in the suburbs, so there are some options for cheaper rent. Look at places like New Westminster and Coquitlam as well which can be a bit more affordable. If you are near the skytrain, it wouldn't be that much of a longer commute than Burnaby depending of course on where in Burnaby (it's quite a large municipality). I would highly recommend living off the hill, I have never studied at SFU but I heard it's pretty depressing if you are always up there. 

Food prices are ridiculous, especially produce and dairy. However, not sure how much different than Alaska it is due to its remoteness so it might not be that much different than what you are used to. 

Communications services are often quite expensive in Canada due to the private sector's lack of competition, so cell phone bills and internet can be pricey. Bring an unlocked phone and get a monthly contract. 

Gas is ridiculous. Even with the reduction since the price of oil went down you are looking at about $1.20 a litre, which is approx. $4.50 for a gallon in reference. Insurance can be pricey as well. Honestly, I would highly recommend not having a car in Vancouver. The public transportation is good enough to forego it and it will save you a lot of money. 

Utilities, such as heating and electricity really aren't that bad; BC has a pretty solid energy sector. 

Thank you for the useful information! Yeah, food prices [and gasoline surprisingly] are pretty high in Alaska, as is the cost of housing in general. The tip about transportation is useful, I am considering bringing my car with me but planned on biking everywhere for the most part; just using my car to get groceries and such. 

I'll check out the city page for Vancouver and go from there.

• 1 month later...

I would like to ask several things for you guys . I'm planning to apply for M.A.Sc to Waterloo of U, McMaster, or else schools.

The first is, if i got a full funding, can i live without any support from my parents?

and is it possible to admit these graduate school on my experience and scores?

My GPA is 3.6/4.5 and i have one publishment(domestic conference paper)

If you guys are admitted to canada university, please help me!