Chemistry Applications Fall 2015

ChemiKyle

See, I find the rankings themselves pretty useless and arbitrary, but just having a list of schools can be a useful starting point. Of course, you'd need to figure out which of theses schools actually has things you're interested in. I'd still suggest looking at who else attends the conferences of people you're interested in or who cites them, which I personally found to be much more useful in compiling my list.

Also, I'm not sure why you don't think you have a chance of top schools. They're tough for anyone to get into, of course, but from what you mentioned, I wouldn't totally rule them out. Especially since your PI knows some of them personally - that can be a great connection if you leverage it properly. 

As of now, I have Northwestern, U. Wisconsin, Ohio State, MIT and Harvard. There are a few others that I'm debating between to apply to, like Princeton, Michigan, Columbia and UI-UC. Looks like we have a bunch in common!

Not surprising given your profile is like a (much) shinier version of mine; we're probably even looking at similar PIs!

I'm surprised you don't have Stanford on there, they seemed like their faculty was really focused on bio relevant stuff, same for many other CA schools.

Fancyfeast,

I'd agree with everything Hijojo said.

Re: cGRE, if they don't require it explicitly don't worry about it, if you look through the admission results on this site there are even examples of people getting in to places that required them having never taken them.

When I was making my lists I regarded rank as virtually meaningless, the only thing they're good for is a general idea of how an institutions facilities might be, it's vastly more important that you like your research and get along with your PI; the general rule I've heard is that if a school has 3+ people whose research you'd be excited about you should apply there.

Regarding your paper, you can list it as in preparation on your resume, I'm doing that with one of mine.

Try looking into people who commonly collaborate with those your PI suggests too, that'll help you expand your potentials and in the event you don't get acceptance to X University where Prof. Really-Exciting is you could still get a chance to work with them if you're at University of Y with Really-Exciting's collaborator.

Not surprising given your profile is like a (much) shinier version of mine; we're probably even looking at similar PIs!

I'm surprised you don't have Stanford on there, they seemed like their faculty was really focused on bio relevant stuff, same for many other CA schools.

Thanks! I wish I had you're GPA though...I'm debating about applying out there. I'm born and raised in the northeast, so It'd be a big lifestyle adjustment for me to go live out there. Have you started applying yet? I've decided to take a small break after my rough October....working on the NSF GRFP app and studying for the CHEM GRE really ran me into the ground.

Edited by TheNewDoctor

I am a little bit in dillema now. Is it beneficial to submit your application early?

My SOP is pretty much fix now, but I am hesitating because I feel I need to buy more time incase I need to revise my SOP.

My last year senior submitted his application by November and he said he had been contacted by UC Irvine for admission before Christmas!

I am a little bit in dillema now. Is it beneficial to submit your application early?

My SOP is pretty much fix now, but I am hesitating because I feel I need to buy more time incase I need to revise my SOP.

My last year senior submitted his application by November and he said he had been contacted by UC Irvine for admission before Christmas!

Hey Maxtini, if you feel confident with all of your material, I would go ahead and submit. I've been told by multiple professors that submitting early is a good idea, especially for the programs that you are really interested in. Best of luck!

That it's done and you don't have to worry about the damn thing anymore?

I can say that after I submitted having a little bit of a buffer zone helped make sure that everything got in. I spoke with some of the secretaries and a few glitches popped up along the way, but everything was able to be smoothed out prior to the official due date.

Thanks! I wish I had you're GPA though...I'm debating about applying out there. I'm born and raised in the northeast, so It'd be a big lifestyle adjustment for me to go live out there. Have you started applying yet? I've decided to take a small break after my rough October....working on the NSF GRFP app and studying for the CHEM GRE really ran me into the ground.

Haha, I probably just got lucky on a few exams. I think having above a 3.5 shows you can balance coursework with everything else, anything above is a minor improvement. I've heard some people say a 4.0 may even look bad if it seems you favored minor grade improvements over research; it's like the hook effect in fluorescence. That may have been wrt grad GPA though.

I submitted 2 apps at the end of September and tried to focus on c/GRE prep, but I'd been looking into those schools since my sophomore year. The apps were also very simple (unlike Berkeley's) so most of the material was available from my previous scholarship and REU apps. I think mid-November could still be considered early even for December 15 deadlines so it's probably fine to avoid burning out completely by jumping straight back into your apps after those.

I am a little bit in dillema now. Is it beneficial to submit your application early?!

If you've had your PI and maybe grad admissions director look over it and they think it's good, go ahead; if the school looks at them as soon as they come in it'll definitely make you stand out. Worst case scenario they don't and you're viewed on equal footing with everyone else. I did and got invited to visit (unsure of whether or not that was app-related, however)!

Back with more questions for you guys :D

Current school list is very top heavy and I feel like I'm going to get in nowhere and won't know what to do. I'd really, really, really like to go to a one of these programs because I honestly do think I'm capable, but I know I'm probably just "above average" in terms of how I appear on paper and likely will not make the cut at many of these schools :/

MIT (this one makes me lol each time I write it out/say it), UCLA, UC-Berkeley, Scripps, Georgia Tech, IU, Michigan, UW-Madison, Boston, UCSF, Carnegie Mellon...

Does anyone have an comments regarding my current list/Can anyone think of any schools? I think I said this just like three posts ago haha, but I'm interested in biomimetic materials/materials in general :)

Thanks!

Did anyone else get the ~400 emails from Rutgers?

Finally narrowed my list down... I'll be applying to Harvard, Michigan, Northwestern, UI-UC, Ohio State, MIT and Wisconsin. I'm really turned off by the fact that I'll be paying around $700 once the whole thing is said and done. 

This is one of the extremely few times that I'm glad to be low-income since almost every school has a somewhat painless fee-waiver process (aside from MIT, who for some reason consider their fee all-important).

Does anyone have an comments regarding my current list/Can anyone think of any schools?

Perhaps look into Stanford and Caltech, they have a ton of bio-related chemistry. Harvard was spoken of as a mecca by a chemical biologist who graduated from my lab last year, but I've heard terrible things about the culture of Harvard - premed level competitiveness - YMMV.
Your app profile is far more impressive than mine, quit worrying about rank! As long as you meet whatever cutoff they may have for your GPA and arbitrary tests (which you definitely will) your app should be looked at and from there it's based on your letters and research more than the rest.

Edited by ChemiKyle

You're so helpful, ChemiKyle :) I actually loved Harvard's program - according to my PI, their Wyss Institute is probably the best place for materials research in the US, but I don't have the Chem GRE, unfortunately. 

And you know I actually read your profile a while ago when this thread first started and I was really, really intimidated! There's a lot of people on this forum that are really strong applicants, actually, so I'm hoping there's some selection bias and that we all have really good chances of getting into our top choices lol.

You're so helpful, ChemiKyle :) I actually loved Harvard's program - according to my PI, their Wyss Institute is probably the best place for materials research in the US, but I don't have the Chem GRE, unfortunately. 

And you know I actually read your profile a while ago when this thread first started and I was really, really intimidated! There's a lot of people on this forum that are really strong applicants, actually, so I'm hoping there's some selection bias and that we all have really good chances of getting into our top choices lol.

Haha thanks, I try. Try applying anyway, you can send them an email asking if it's absolutely necessary, and if so tell them you'd be willing to take it in April.

We have roughly the same profile; your GPA and GRE scores far outshine mine, for whatever those are worth. I also bake fish way better than eggs but I'm not sure how adcoms evaluate cooking skills, though a girl I knew who made quality stew is now at Caltech.

Hello everyone,

I have a few questions about my applications and I'd love to get your advice.  My stats:

Undergrad Institution: Top US Liberal Arts College

Major(s): Chemistry
GPA undergraduate: 3.44

Research Interest: Biochemistry

GRE Scores: V: 165 (95%) Q: 161 (80%)  W: pending
Chemistry: 790 (75%)
Research Experience: 1 year as a full time RA in a UC Berkeley microbiology lab, 1 REU (summer) in bioinorganic lab, 1 summer and 1 senior research project (1 year) in biochemistry lab, 1 summer in physical chemistry lab

Publications: 2 submitted, 1 as a shared-first-author, 1 as a second author. Possibly 1-2 more to be submitted as third author.

Presentations: 1 Poster Presentation at National Conference, several other presentations including REU research and senior project presentations
Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Dean's List, Scholarships (NSF STEM scholarship)
Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Research tech at UC Berkeley currently. Past: Tutor (Chemistry), TA (Chemistry)

Applying: UC Berkeley, University of Washington, UT Austin, UCSF, CU Boulder, UC Davis

I have three questions:

1. Do I retake the general GRE in order to boost my quantitative score (161, 80%)? I am confident I can do better than that, but if I retake it now, some of the scores may not arrive until after my application is due (of course, they would already have my first set of scores).  I'm worried about how it might come off to send a second round of scores like that, but I'm also worried that my quantitative score is too low.  Thoughts?
  2. My GPA is a little low, and it is particularly low because of a bad grade I got my first semester of organic chemistry. In order to compensate, I took a challenging advanced organic chemistry class later and did quite well.  Should I address that point in my personal statement at all? 
  3. A couple of my PIs have suggested I send four letters of recommendation, and submit the last as "supplementary".  Has anyone else done this?

I'd really appreciate any suggestions or thoughts you have. Good luck everyone!

-dllll

Hello everyone,

I have a few questions about my applications and I'd love to get your advice.  My stats:

Research Experience: 1 year as a full time RA in a UC Berkeley microbiology lab, 1 REU (summer) in bioinorganic lab, 1 summer and 1 senior research project (1 year) in biochemistry lab, 1 summer in physical chemistry lab

Publications: 2 submitted, 1 as a shared-first-author, 1 as a second author. Possibly 1-2 more to be submitted as third author.

Presentations: 1 Poster Presentation at National Conference, several other presentations including REU research and senior project presentations

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Research tech at UC Berkeley currently. Past: Tutor (Chemistry), TA (Chemistry)

Applying: UC Berkeley, University of Washington, UT Austin, UCSF, CU Boulder, UC Davis

I have three questions:

1. Do I retake the general GRE in order to boost my quantitative score (161, 80%)? I am confident I can do better than that, but if I retake it now, some of the scores may not arrive until after my application is due (of course, they would already have my first set of scores).  I'm worried about how it might come off to send a second round of scores like that, but I'm also worried that my quantitative score is too low.  Thoughts?
  2. My GPA is a little low, and it is particularly low because of a bad grade I got my first semester of organic chemistry. In order to compensate, I took a challenging advanced organic chemistry class later and did quite well.  Should I address that point in my personal statement at all? 
  3. A couple of my PIs have suggested I send four letters of recommendation, and submit the last as "supplementary".  Has anyone else done this?

-dllll

- My advice: I would say, in my own opinion, that you should not need to retake any tests. You have an awesome verbal (kind of rare in chemistry, I think it is a nice little extra) and your quant is great, 80% is not bad at all. Some students can get in the 90's, but really not that many. I like to think that for every student listing outstanding credentials on this website, there is probably 30 that have just average scores and are wondering if they stand a chance. The pool of applicants for any school will be incredibly diverse, you just want to be towards the top. Also, you have a great Chem GRE score to supplement your application. The list of schools isnt too over ambitious and I think you will be very competative as an applicant. The GRE is like 200$, do you really want to pay that just to increase a few points? (Personally, I am done giving ETS any more money) I don't think these schools will look at your application and discard it because you don't have above the 90th percentile in quant. Also, your research experience is great. As for the GPA, it might be wise to address it in the SOP. It is a difficult task to try and discuss the reasons why you did poorly in a class for an SOP without coming across as desparate, but it might be worth it. If a school has a cutoff for GPA and you do not make it then it wont even matter, but I would personally give it a sentence of two.....If you have a 4th LOR that is outstanding, why not send it? I have never heard a student sending more than 3, I know personally that I dont know 4 professors/mentors/whom ever that could actually vouch on my skills and ability to grow in this field. I would not send a 4th if it is just a teacher, I cannot imagine they will care to read another SOP from a professor that gave you an A. If it was an advisor, that would be different; you are looking for someone that is familiar with you as a student, person, and budding young scientist who can grow into a mature adult capable of handling and exceling in the graduate life.

So, I do not think you are in any danger. Your application looks great and I think right on track for the schools you are applying to. I would'nt worry too much about the quant score, it is still better than 80% of the people (supposedly intelligent students seeking a higher education) that took the test. Why not spend the money that you would on another GRE and apply to 2-3 more schools, just to be certain. Biochem is everywhere, I would personally add 1 more great school and maybe a backup that interested me (not sure if you have one listed), cant be too safe.

Regards,

Hello everyone,

I have three questions:

-dllll

You could apply to more prestigious programs as well, if you're interested in PIs elsewhere. You have an impressive record!

Hello everyone,

I have three questions:

-dllll

Your stats look good! This late into the application process I wouldn't worry about retaking the GRE but rather that you submit your applications earlier. Also, please post your stats in your signature or profile to help everyone reading this thread

Undergrad Institution: U.S. University
Major(s): Chemistry
GPA undergraduate: 3.81/4.00

Research Interest: Physical Chemistry, Materials Chemistry

GRE Scores: V: 150 Q: 168  W: 3.5
Chemistry: Grades didn't come out yet
Research Experience: 1year senior research physical chemistry, 1 semester organic chemistry lab, summer intern international abroad

Publications: none

Presentations: 1 poster, presentation in undergrad chemistry department
Awards/Honors/Recognitions: magna cum laude, highest honor undergrad research assistant phi beta kappa
Pertinent Activities or Jobs: TA for General Chemistry for one year during Sophomore, now working at Physical chemistry lab after graduation
Applying to Where: Harvard, Stanford, Yale, Princeton, U-Chicago, Cornell, Columbia, MIT, Cal-Tech, Northwestern, UIUC, U Michigan Ann arbor, Wisconsin Madison, Johns Hopkins

Status : International Student graduated from U.S. University

Any suggestion for Safety schools? 

and do you guys think it is worth to get my last LOR from a Doctor while I was doing summer intern outside of U.S? Since it was Summer intern, it was pretty short though, but I'm sure he will write me a good one.

Other two LORs are from distinguished professors in my undergrad University.

Edited by asdfasdasdf

Undergrad Institution: U.S. University

Major(s): Chemistry

GPA undergraduate: 3.81/4.00

Research Interest: Physical Chemistry, Materials Chemistry

GRE Scores: V: 150 Q: 168  W: 3.5

Chemistry: Grades didn't come out yet

Research Experience: 1year senior research physical chemistry, 1 semester organic chemistry lab, summer intern international abroad

Publications: none

Presentations: 1 poster, presentation in undergrad chemistry department

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: magna cum laude, highest honor undergrad research assistant phi beta kappa

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: TA for General Chemistry for one year during Sophomore, now working at Physical chemistry lab after graduation

Applying to Where: Harvard, Stanford, Yale, Princeton, U-Chicago, Cornell, Columbia, MIT, Cal-Tech, Northwestern, UIUC, U Michigan Ann arbor, Wisconsin Madison, Johns Hopkins

Status : International Student graduated from U.S. University

and do you guys think it is worth to get my last LOR from a Doctor while I was doing summer intern outside of U.S? Since it was Summer intern, it was pretty short though, but I'm sure he will write me a good one.

Which program are you applying to (i.e. what type of chemistry)?

I'd definitely recommend having a recommendation letter from your internship.

Fiiiiiiiinally submitted my first application! Hoping to get a couple more out by Monday. So close to being done!

I agree with ghostar, definitely have a LOR from the summer internship; research-related LORs are just about always better for grad admissions.

I always think it's difficult to suggest safety schools for people - it's such an individual process and really depends on what your specific research interests are. I know you said materials and physical chemistry, but without knowing exactly what you'd like to do in those fields, it's difficult (plus, I'm not super familiar with fields that aren't mine or closely related to it). I think I mentioned this upthread, but try taking a look at the journals and conferences your POIs from other schools publish in/attend; that should help you see who's doing similar research you might like and would probably be more useful.

Oh, also, it'd be helpful if you put your stats in your profile and/or signature - that makes it much easier for people to track as results come in.

Edited by Hijojo

Which program are you applying to (i.e. what type of chemistry)?

I'd definitely recommend having a recommendation letter from your internship.

Ugh, I can't read, just saw that your interests are in physical chemistry & materials. Never mind my question :P