Chemistry Applications Fall 2015

ChemiKyle

Alright guys we have good news and bad news.

The good news: Admitted to Berkeley! Yay!

The bad news: I just looked at my submitted apps and I feel so, so stupid but I just noticed that my UCSF application was marked as complete (like checkmarks by each portion of the app) but apparently I didn't truly complete the application because I uploaded my transcript last thing (remember this very clearly) but I didn't press "Save" on that page so it didn't upload :( The deadline was December 1st and I submitted like a week before then :( ugh so sad because UCSF was really one of my top choices... Such a stupid mistake! Do you think I should bother contacting the program or not? They were really my first choice, even over the schools I applied to with better names just because I really liked a lot of the groups there.

Congrats on your Berkeley acceptance! Sorry to hear about the UCSF situation :( It's weird that your application was considered complete without the transcript and was allowed to be submitted as is.. Did you find this out when you logged onto the website to check the status of your application or something? I would definitely recommend contacting the program coordinators. The UCSF staff are some of the nicest I've interacted with (at least for CCB, which I applied to). I hope they would be understanding of your situation! Edited by ghostar

Congrats on your Berkeley acceptance! Sorry to hear about the UCSF situation :( It's weird that your application was considered complete without the transcript and was allowed to be submitted as is.. Did you find this out when you logged onto the website to check the status of your application or something? I would definitely recommend contacting the program coordinators. The UCSF staff are some of the nicest I've interacted with (at least for CCB, which I applied to). I hope they would be understanding of your situation!

Thank you!

Yeah it's really weird, but also still my fault because in bold letters in the education section it said you had to press "Save" at the bottom of the page for the file to fully upload. I was curious today because I heard some schools post info on the application itself so I was revisiting and while looking through the app I saw a little red X by "Transcript" on the "Check Application" tab. :( Cue "Dobby is a bad elf"-like freak out but then I got my acceptance via phone call so I perked up a bit. I think I will just email them and see. I suppose it can't hurt at this point.

I am a bit confused and would like some input:

I applied to both the Chemistry and Biochemistry programs at UT Austin, and have gotten two emails. One email was an official interview invitation from the Biochemistry program. The second one was an email from one of my top-choice PIs regarding my application to the Chemistry program, though he is also in the Biochemistry program. He said that my application had been directed to him since I had listed interests relevant to his lab and I'd specifically listed his name in my letter. In the email he went into greater detail about his research, and then said that he hopes the information will help me make my decision and that he hopes I join his group in the fall. But I have not received any official letter from the Department. What does this mean? I am confused. Thoughts?

That means your application has been favorably reviewed~ it's just a matter of time before your got the departmental (Chemistry) or university approval. But since you also applied to biochemistry, which offer official interview invitation, maybe you should ask your PI for clarification.

Me too, I'm pretty obsessed. I feel like everyone has heard back from Northwestern but me! Which totally isn't true. :D

Just try to relax as much as possible, it's no longer in your hands.

Haha I feel the exact same way! Northwestern is my top choice and I'm checking my email/the admission decision page every hour or so...I need to stop.

Congratulations to everyone else by the way for their acceptances thus far!

I actually was accepted to Northwestern earlier today. I was sent a generic email with the offer letter ($30k/year + tuition and health insurance) and a couple other documents. Hopefully I will be able to calm down a bit and stop worrying about all my other applications now (probably not). Good luck to everyone else who applied!

Hello everyone, I've been occasionally reading this forum for a while and finally felt that it was time to post something :)

I also got the official acceptance letter from Northwestern today. However,  a professor contacted me a few days back telling me that I was accepted, so it was expected. Either way, awesome christmas present! I'm super excited! 

Congratulations to everyone else who's gotten early admissions!

Edited by Svann

I decided what I consider last second (late October) to apply to grad school this year. With my advisor trying to get me to finish up my project and school on top of applications I submitted most of my apps the day they were due except for one or two that I managed to finish a whole week (!) before the deadline.

If I don't get in to any other school and for some reason I hate Berkeley I will apply like in September on the day the applications come out lol.

Who else these few weeks before mid-/late January are excruciating? I still find myself checking on here a lot though. 

Still haven't heard any news since TAMU's super early admission letter (03 Dec)~ :mellow:

Turns out I'll have to wait till february/march, judging from past year's results for international applicants :mellow:

I know a few people that heard back from Princeton at around this time last year. I am getting somewhat anxious that I haven't heard anything yet. I've been on this forum/checking my email as well as admissions websites extremely frequently.

I know a few people that heard back from Princeton at around this time last year. I am getting somewhat anxious that I haven't heard anything yet. I've been on this forum/checking my email as well as admissions websites extremely frequently.

Taking a quick look at the results, it looks like someone got a phone call from them today, but I still think we have another week and a half or so before any real anxiousness should happen. Last year I saw popular acceptance/rejection days for Princeton were 1/9 and 1/13. Still got some time!  :P

When does Caltech starting sending out their earliest acceptances? From the past couple of years, I didn't see anything in the results before mid-January but I didn't know if anyone knew differently from contacts...

Taking a quick look at the results, it looks like someone got a phone call from them today, but I still think we have another week and a half or so before any real anxiousness should happen. Last year I saw popular acceptance/rejection days for Princeton were 1/9 and 1/13. Still got some time!  :P

Curious someone reported an acceptance minutes after I inquired...!

When does Caltech starting sending out their earliest acceptances? From the past couple of years, I didn't see anything in the results before mid-January but I didn't know if anyone knew differently from contacts...

Caltech does middle-late january (from the 16-22).

Did anyone else apply for theoretical chemistry? I'm rather nervous, I don't think that my test scores accurately reflect my true capabilities. I hope my LORs and SOP are strong enough to make a case for my admission.

Did anyone else apply for theoretical chemistry? I'm rather nervous, I don't think that my test scores accurately reflect my true capabilities. I hope my LORs and SOP are strong enough to make a case for my admission.

When I went to a recruitment weekend at Northwestern they said that those were their most important deciding factors.

Curious someone reported an acceptance minutes after I inquired...!

Hey, this was me! It was a total coincidence, I wasn't watching this thread or anything. It was an unofficial acceptance. If you're curious about my stats, I'm going to put them in my signature after I write this.

But if I were you, I wouldn't worry about it. I got the impression that they wouldn't be done making decisions for a while yet. They said it could take a few weeks for me to get my official offer letter. Good luck, and congrats on Berkeley, Yale and Stanford!!