Neuroscience PhD: Should I apply? Which could I get in?

oguztncy

Hi, I'm a senior and I'm thinking of applying PhD programs in US this semester. I go to school at Turkey, my uni is ranked around 400. My major is Molecular Biology and Genetics. GPA 3.09, GRE Bio 910 (98%), haven't taken general yet, but I expect Q>160. I have worked in three labs, but for short periods (1-2 months each). If I won't apply (or can't get in anywhere) this year, I will get my MS in neuroscience at my current school and aplly again in two years. During MS, I am also going to work in a lab year. Should I apply this year? Where can I get in? Or would it be better if I wait, get my MS and apply again?

I think the bio GRE may be a huge factor for you since you international. Since you did so well on that, I think you have a good shot at programs this year. I dont think a MS from your current school will help much at all. I would apply to PhD programs this year and if you dont get in then I would look at MS programs in the US instead of at your current school. Maybe your best bet would be to apply for a mix of PhD and MS programs in the US so that you definitely get in somewhere.

I think your stats are good enough to apply this year. I'd advise against applying to direct Neuroscience PhD programs, and instead look at umbrella Biomedical Science programs. Everyone and their dog wants to get a PhD in neuroscience and, as you might expect, the ratio of accepted/applied is pretty small. Most neuroscience faculty will be included in biomedical science programs, so you'll have access to the same research opportunities and have a broader range of classes to chose from.