Spanish PhD 2015

BeatrizBear

I assume all the departments host interviews. I thought that might be the case because it seems like you don't get accepted without an interview, but I wasn't sure. It's still too early for me since the deadlines have barely passed for my applications, but I thought I might prepare for it.

Gotcha. Well, thanks for all the info. I joined the Academic Decathlon back in high school because I thought it would help me get better at being interviewed but I always have the fakest look on my face and ramble. Haha. One time I got so nervous that I fiddled with my earring and I hit the interviewer in the eye with it because it came flying off.

Edited by BeatrizBear

Good post LKS. I just noticed that y'all were talking about interviews during campus visits. Since I'm abroad my experience has always been either on the phone or via skype. That might affect my suggestions.

What I would like to emphasize is the fact that during personal interviews with POI some professors that are native speakers of English privilege using English over Spanish. This is something I cannot comprehend completely because you are supossed to be a part of a 'Spanish' department. But, this happens with some areas and some professors (usually old professors or professors who were taught by hispanists at a time when Spanish was not the main language of teaching at the graduate level).

The last semester of my MA I regularly met with a professor that taught me a course the previous semester to go over her comments on a large final paper I presented (over 40pp, so it was like 3 or 4 one hour meetings) and we did them in English (even though its not my native language or the native language of the course. it was funny, switching between English and Medieval Spanish) because she liked that better.

I don't know, this might be too specific for the interviews but my only final thought about this is that you have to learn to measure (like, medir, conocer) the professor you are talking to. They won't mind that your Spanish is not perfect (same for English when you are a Spanish speaker). You are a student after all. But they do expect that you can conjugate the verb to be.

PD: Beatriz: sentido del humor. Eso suena como una escena de Loco por Mary.

I just read all the comments and found a lot of good advice for the interview. I applied for an M.A. in linguistics at Davis, Santa Barbara, Indiana University Bloomington, Madison, New Mexico, Purdue and University of Arizona. I am pretty nervous about the interview process. How much time in advance are phone interviews set? Do they email you and expect to call them the next day? 

I've never heard of this happening...strange.

It was for Boston U. Maybe a weather issue? They've been having some bad weather up north. Maybe they extended it to give people more time to submit materials. That or they didn't get enough applicants or enough applicants that they liked. But anyway, they didn't give a reason. I just found that to be strange, though.

I have been looking for posts like this for a long time... The information provided is very helpful.

As far as I know, I am the only Chinese that wants to continue studying Spanish in the US (normally spanish major students of China choose Spain or change their major to study in the US). Knowing three most commonly used languages may sound cool but it has been a huge disadvantage in the application as I have to prove my proficiency in two foreign languages. It's possible that I get rejected by all the programs but anyway, por lo menos merece la pena probar :)

Saludos

Hi Natiyrm,

Welcome and tell us a little about yourself. Why the interest in Spanish and where are you applying? I wouldn't say you are unique, I do notice some Chinese surnames in the departments, but not very many!

Hi ***,

I have studied Spanish for 3 years (2 years in China and 1 year in Barcelona), will get a BA in Spanish. Spain is a good place to study but I'm more interested in Latin American literature and culture. I applied for programs in Spanish and in Latin American Studies but I don't know if I have much chance. You said you saw Chinese surnames in the departments but greater chances are that they are Chinese born in Latin America or US.

I also began to study Catalan and Portuguese when I was in Barcelona (strange experience, facing long lists of falsos amigos every day). My GRE and Toefl scores are okay but I still feel very unsure, maybe I should have applied for more schools... Do you think I should also take DELE to prove my Spanish level? I would really like to have opinions from all of you. Thx

Hey! I've been away for a couple of days but I'd like to say something about changes of deadlines: I had them for 2 of the departments I was applying. In one of those, the department actually moved their deadline earlier so I had to make one of my professors write an early LOR and then moved it later again.

I think its due to number of applications received.

Yeah, we will start hearing about interviews in about 2 weeks. Take some time off, go climb a rock. I'm going for a week ago during the peak time of application nonsense. No internet connection, no computers.

Edited by joanlba