Spanish PhD 2015

BeatrizBear

Me too haha. Only applied to one west coast :) lots of Midwest!

FingersCrossed12, can you message me the name of the uni. I also applied to a couple out west. Por favor. Gracias!

Just thought I'd introduce myself--I study Contemporary Peninsular Lit. Pitt sent me a rejection letter already. I saw that some people already got interviews to Princeton--if I haven't gotten one by now does that mean I haven't got in...Or is there still a possibility of being waitlisted? Anyone know how seriously any these schools take GRE scores? And finally, does anyone have any idea about how many students are usually accepted per cycle at these institutions? (Yes, question overload--I know many of them might be difficult to answer but just looking for some thoughts.)

Applied: Pitt, NYU, Princeton, Vanderbilt, Cornell, Tulane

Rejected: 1/6

Interviewed: 0/6

Waitlisted 0/6

Admitted: 0/6

Just thought I'd introduce myself--I study Contemporary Peninsular Lit. Pitt sent me a rejection letter already. I saw that some people already got interviews to Princeton--if I haven't gotten one by now does that mean I haven't got in...Or is there still a possibility of being waitlisted? Anyone know how seriously any these schools take GRE scores? And finally, does anyone have any idea about how many students are usually accepted per cycle at these institutions? (Yes, question overload--I know many of them might be difficult to answer but just looking for some thoughts.)

Applied: Pitt, NYU, Princeton, Vanderbilt, Cornell, Tulane

Rejected: 1/6

Interviewed: 0/6

Waitlisted 0/6

Admitted: 0/6

Were you the one that posted about getting a rejection from Pitt back in January? In the results page, I mean. I have gotten radio silence from them. I don't know about Princeton, sorry. Each school handles interviews differently. Some schools only interview people they know they're going to accept and some people interview people and then reject or wait list them later. It's hard to tell how seriously they take GRE scores. Pitt doesn't require them. I'd say as long as they're not awful it's probably fine.  I saw a website that lists admissions per department. You could look at that:

http://www.petersons.com/graduate-schools/new-york-university-graduate-school-of-arts-and-science-department-of-spanish-and-portuguese-languages-and-literatures-000_10039077.aspx

http://www.petersons.com/graduate-schools/university-of-pittsburgh-school-of-arts-and-sciences-department-of-hispanic-languages-and-literatures-000_10031551.aspx

For you, I think maybe your research interests are what killed you at Pitt. Pittsburgh is known to be heavily Latin American based. If I remember correctly, the school is one of the best for Latin American studies. Everyone is required to study Latin America in their program and then pick something else as a minor.

Edited by BeatrizBear

Thanks for all the help Beatriz--and just to answer your question, I have not reported anything yet. So that means two people have been rejected from Pitt.

Someone in the results page posted getting an interview with NYU for "Hispanic Studies," but I have no idea if that's in the same department I'm in, haha. I haven't heard back from them but honestly I didn't have hope of getting in.

Welcome and good luck kidwolf23

Thanks for those links BeatrizBear. I'm going to look up the universities I applied to.

I don't know how accurate the numbers are since it doesn't seem that they differentiate between masters and phd admissions, but it's something to look at as a guide.

BeatrizBear,

Bummer! I was hoping that was yours to claim. 

I guess I'll find out something later today, if I find out anything today. I'm not sure if they send everyone notices at once. We will see.

Did anyone see the Georgetown post? It was over 9,000!

Edited by BeatrizBear

Does anyone know if Columbia started doing intereviews yet? The results page indicates that someone got an interview last week. I don't know if it's spam or not.

I think some people in this thread are applying there so maybe they know something. Did you hear from Indiana?

Hey. Yes, I got accepted.

Nice! I'm still crossing my fingers on the waitlist. I think when schools send out interviews they don't send them all at once. At least on the results page I've seen them spread out over a course of a few days, most likely because they have to schedule a time to interview the student.

Nice! I'm still crossing my fingers on the waitlist. I think when schools send out interviews they don't send them all at once. At least on the results page I've seen them spread out over a course of a few days, most likely because they have to schedule a time to interview the student.

Thanks for your support. Because probably not every accepted student will attend Indiana, I'm sure they will reconsider your application. Mucha suerte con los otros programas. Te deseo lo mejor.

Thanks for your support. Because probably not every accepted student will attend Indiana, I'm sure they will reconsider your application. Mucha suerte con los otros programas. Te deseo lo mejor.

Awh, thanks for the support, but I think it depends on my position on the waitlist too. =/ I don't know if it's ranked. The director avoided answering my question on that. What's your top choice?

Awh, thanks for the support, but I think it depends on my position on the waitlist too. =/ I don't know if it's ranked. The director avoided answering my question on that. What's your top choice?

I have still not received an answer from some of the places that I applied, so my top choice is not set in stone yet. What is your top choice?