CSULA

Ok let me expand on this a little more. I am still in undergrad, but I've been accepted for spring transfer at CSULA, CSU Fullerton, CSU Sacramento, and SFSU. I've visited all campuses, and I've been heavily leaning towards CSULA, but I haven't spoken to very many students that actually have attended these schools or programs. So would anyone care to give any insight to any of these schools and their slp programs?

I know someone who already had her bachelors degree in a non-CD field who completed her CD classes at CSULA. She is now in the masters program at CSUN. What specific questions do you have? She is a very busy mom of two boys, like myself, and has limited time for emails etc - I only see her on campus once or twice per month. But I could try to email her to get answers to specific questions. (Just might take some time to hear back...)

I'm just wondering if she felt as though the program was good, worth her money, and if she would recommend it to others? Was she able to get into the classes she needed without too much trouble? Were her professors and the department staff available and helpful? Was she able to finish the program within the time frames that were given? Was she able to do their slpa program? Kind of a lot of questions, I know, but just any general insight would be helpful. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm just wondering if she felt as though the program was good, worth her money, and if she would recommend it to others? Was she able to get into the classes she needed without too much trouble? Were her professors and the department staff available and helpful? Was she able to finish the program within the time frames that were given? Was she able to do their slpa program? Kind of a lot of questions, I know, but just any general insight would be helpful. Thanks!

Hi there -

Sorry for the long wait, but I finally connected with her today. :)

She seemed very positive about their program. She said initially there were some classes she didn't get, and then had to fill out paperwork to "petition" for a spot. I believe they looked at how far along you were in classes, special circumstances like kids in school or daycare that you needed to pick up on certain days and times, etc etc to determine priority. I should mention that she was in the post-bacc program as she already had her bachelors in another field. That being said, it sounded like she did get all of the classes she needed and she didn't mention others having problems. I should also mention that CSULA is transitioning from quarter system to semester (or they did this Fall) so not sure how that might impact things. She did finish when she had initially expected to.

She didn't do the SLPA program so not sure how their program stacks up. As far as money, we didn't discuss as there were people around but I am sure the costs are about the same at CSULA, CSUN, and CSULB. Keep in mind however, that the CSUN program is still (I believe) the largest in CA as far as grad spots. Not telling you this because I'm partial, but it seems schools tend to admit their own first, then grads from other programs next. Something to keep in mind for sure, especially in the competitive environment of grad school for SLPs.

Hope this helps!

I'm finishing up my second B.S. At Sac State and love the school and the faculty is amazing. For regular undergrads you're paying less than $4,000 a semester. I don't know how hard it is to get into classes since I was in a cohort my classes were already picked for me. Sacramento isn't an expensive place to live in comparison to Southern California or the Bay Area. You can probably get your own room in an apartment for the cost you'll have to pay to share a room in those locations. I feel like most of the CSU schools mainly accept their own so no matter where you go make sure to stand out to your professors so you can get those awesome letters of recommendations! Good luck!

Edited by Kgomez