Programs Asking Where Else I am Applying

ToomuchLes

Certain programs are interested in other programs I am applying to, should I fill in this section or leave it blank? I dont understand why they're interested in this. Please don't say 'yes, fill it out.' Rather explain why I should and why the programs care. Thank you!

Edited by LeventeL

The programs could care so that they can see whether you made your homework about choosing schools to apply to. It's perhaps a crude way to detect thoughtless students, but it's better than nothing.

Fuzzylogician brings up a great point. It might also be done to notify other schools in the rare event that a student lies about their credentials so that they can keep each other abreast about such applicants.

Even if depts did communicate to each other regarding admissions, it often seems like an afterthought, something that is less of a priority vis-à-vis their research collaborations. And research collaborations are a channel through which such communications happen in the first place.

I think it is more common with non-elite programs, but some programs may use this information in order to strategically admit students whose likelihood of matriculation is rather high. (Tufts commonly does this for undergrad)

Like Catria says, I think that this is likely a way to see how serious you are about your research interests. For example, some of the top programs for my research interests include University of Maryland, UCSF, and Washington University in St. Louis. If UCSF sees that instead of applying to Maryland and WUSTL, I have applied to Harvard, Yale, Princeton , etc then it will be very obvious that I am interested in going to grad school for prestige and that I dont care much about research since those schools are not strong at all for research in my subfield.

Like Catria says, I think that this is likely a way to see how serious you are about your research interests. For example, some of the top programs for my research interests include University of Maryland, UCSF, and Washington St Louis. If UCSF sees that instead of applying to Maryland and Washington St Louis, I have applied to Harvard, Yale, Princeton , etc then it will be very obvious that I am interested in going to grad school for prestige and that I dont care much about research since those schools are not strong at all for research in my subfield.

How troublesome would it be for an applicant if that applicant put together a list of schools whose school-wide prestige is undeniable (say, an application list filled primarily with schools whose school-wide prestige level is at WUSTL's level and higher) but, in terms of departments in that applicant's field, otherwise cover a range of realistic options?

Assume that all these schools on that applicant's list actually do research in an area (within his/her field) specified by the applicant.

How troublesome would it be for an applicant if that applicant put together a list of schools whose school-wide prestige is undeniable (say, an application list filled primarily with schools whose school-wide prestige level is at WUSTL's level and higher) but, in terms of departments in that applicant's field, otherwise cover a range of realistic options?

Assume that all these schools on that applicant's list actually do research in an area (within his/her field) specified by the applicant.

I think that is definitely fine! The 'top' but bad fit schools I mentioned have no or at most 1 person in my research area and aren't known for being strong in my interest so I meant that sort of situation could possibly send a red flag. As long as there is good research in your interests at all of the schools that you are applying to then that's what matters most I think. The schools I'm applying to aren't necessarily ranked high in my field in general (though not low either) but are great fits for my particular research interest.

For people in highly competitive subfields that apply to 10+ schools, the schools will often not provide you with enough space to answer "where else you are applying" completely. Tufts, for example, only have 3 slots to this end, Notre Dame has 4, so one has to strategize carefully in this case.

Hey everyone!!

Need your help!!!

I am applying for Fall 2015 Phd in Computer Science(focus in information assurance) to USA universities. After doing extensive research I managed to find some universities (ASU, Indiana University, George Mason, University of Texas- San Antonio). But as I hear for phd i need to apply to more than 10 universities to expect a call. Can anyone please help me if someone doing research in Information assurance/security in USA. 

It is always in your best interest to respond to this question. Many programs already share general application data and there are many ways that they can find out schools that you will or are most likely to apply to. This is especially true if you are applying for general funding opportunities. Listing possible schools works in your favor 10/10 times. If you are a very strong student and the school really wants you to attend, they may amp up the financial/research incentives to chose their program versus another program. Applicants can manipulate this section as well by listing schools/programs for which they are highly qualified to attend even if they have no real intentions of applying to those programs. - Admissions Advice Online

They may simply be asking to find out who their competition is. So if they ever want to make changes to their programs, change their focus or plan where to invest some of their funding, it may help to know who the competition is and what they offer to their students so they can do something different or make it better than the competition.