Should I mention a friend's name already studying in the university I'm applying to?

Hi! I have a very good friend of mine studying at a University I'm applying to and he's also studying the same program which I'm applying to. So can I mention his name in the SOP and write that how he's told me that the university, the department and the faculty are good? And you'll have been of great help to me. Thanks!

Edited by JessePinkman

No.  How would that enhance your Statement of purpose?  is it relevant?  the answer is that it won't and it isn't.  Focus on why you are a good fit for them and why they are good fit for you.  Your friend going there has no relevance and their experience may be entirely different than your own.  Maybe you should do the opposite and use the information your friend has on the program to better enhance how you present yourself.  

If you include that in your SOP they might think you are more interested in going to school with your friend rather than attending that particular program. So no, I wouldn't include that information. Ask your friend to proofread your SOP and to help you point out which strengths and qualifications should be emphasized that they would most interested in. You have an advantage over some of the other applicants because of your connection. Best of luck!

Edited by jenste

Keep your SOP only about your experience, skills, research, and future career/academic goals. All personal things (e.g. your friend, or if you know a professor etc.) should be left off. You could let these people know that you are applying though, and perhaps they will have a chance to put in a good word for you. However, it's pretty unlikely a grad student friend will have much sway.

I would not mention your friend in your SOP, for all the reasons people have already mentioned. Have him help you tailor your SOP to this school and proofread all your materials. 

It might work to your advantage to have your friend mention to someone on the adcom that you are applying and that you're a great student. This could be beneficial if your friend is advanced and/or trusted by the faculty in this program. Caveats: it might backfire if for whatever reason your friend is not well liked or not trusted. And even with this extra good word on your behalf, it's unclear how much influence your friend could have (probably not a lot) or whether this would impact your outcomes in any way.

It might work to your advantage to have your friend mention to someone on the adcom that you are applying and that you're a great student. This could be beneficial if your friend is advanced and/or trusted by the faculty in this program. Caveats: it might backfire if for whatever reason your friend is not well liked or not trusted. And even with this extra good word on your behalf, it's unclear how much influence your friend could have (probably not a lot) or whether this would impact your outcomes in any way.

Here's an anecdote if it helps: One of the students I used to TA applied to my school. One professor saw that the student went to the same school as I did and asked me if I knew the student, and what I thought about the program there. I also helped this student tailor their SOP to fit my program well. I really don't think my actions had any effect though as the student also got into every single program (all top programs) and it was not like I was helping them with those other applications :P

And from the other side: When applying to PhD programs, I knew someone at many of the schools I was applying to (Canadian planetary science is a very small community). I didn't mention these people at all in my application. One interesting side effect of knowing people in the program was that for some of them, I found out my admission decision through my grad student friend a day before I got the phone call / email from the department with the decision. 

Hello,

You absolutely can mention the friends name in your SOP. Especially if this friend exposed you to this program. Most readers will take note of this and it will serve to your advantage. When I was an admissions officer, I always noted this in a positive way. - Admissions Advice Online