Where to Mention Grade Trend?

testingtesting

Do I mention upward GPA trends in my SOP, an additional attachment, CV, where? On most applications (political science PhD) I can only enter overall GPA.

I have included a line on my CV breaking down my GPA by upper-level courses, last 2 years, cumulative.  I have thought about mentioning it in my SOP, but some places only want 500 word SOPs.  Maybe an additional document upload? Worried about it getting lost then.

My first 2 years of GPA were nearly a 3.1 while my last 2 years were nearly a 4.0.  Therefore my overall GPA is around a 3.5 but if you exclude my first year or two, it's very competitive.

Thanks.

In my opinion, I wouldn't mention it at all. I think that a GPA jump from 3.1 to 4.0 will be very noticeable in the transcript.

Another option is to ask your LOR writers to mention it. 

It's not very noticeable because our transcripts do not list a semester-by-semester or year-by-year GPA, only overall cumulative.  Of course they will see the grades, but it's perhaps useful to make VERY clear so they don't overlook....or disagree?

It's not very noticeable because our transcripts do not list a semester-by-semester or year-by-year GPA, only overall cumulative.  Of course they will see the grades, but it's perhaps useful to make VERY clear so they don't overlook....or disagree?

My personal opinion is disagree. They will see mostly Bs in the first few years and then mostly As in the last two years. Also, although the whole GPA is reviewed, it's likely that many programs will focus / further review the last few semesters and from that they will see As. This is part of the reason they ask for a transcript instead of just a GPA -- they can evaluate trends themselves (or notice to see what your grades are in the courses they would really care about). Get your LORs to mention the trend instead.

My personal opinion is disagree. They will see mostly Bs in the first few years and then mostly As in the last two years. Also, although the whole GPA is reviewed, it's likely that many programs will focus / further review the last few semesters and from that they will see As. This is part of the reason they ask for a transcript instead of just a GPA -- they can evaluate trends themselves (or notice to see what your grades are in the courses they would really care about). Get your LORs to mention the trend instead.

None of LORs are from UG.  All are MA faculty at different university...

Oh I see--was UG a really long time ago? Or are you purposely avoiding letters from UG? When I applied to PhD programs after my MSc, I had 2 letters from research supervisors in UG and 1 letter from my MSc supervisor. I think it is helpful to get letters from as wide a range of your academic life as possible so that the graduate school gets a full picture of you. I would avoid all three letters from a 1-2 year MA program if UG was just directly before that. 

However, that's just my opinion and I don't know the specifics of your case so I don't think I can really be much help to you, sorry! Even if I went with all 3 letters from my Masters school, I would probably still not mention the GPA trend. But, obviously only you can determine what's best for your case, based on your specific circumstances!