Current SIPA student

alloy

Hi guys!

If you have any question regarding studying at SIPA please feel free to ask ;)

What's the biggest difference between MPA and MIA program?

What were your qualifications at the time of application? (experience, GRE... etc)

I am too jealous... 

1.) The website offers plenty of information, but in your opinion as a current student, how does the MPA differ from the MIA?

2.) I see you were accepted at SAIS, Georgetown SFS, and Columbia SIPA. These are all pretty fantastic programs (kudos and congratulations, btw!) What led you to choose SIPA over the other schools? 

3.) What was your profile like as an applicant (GRE, GPA, work experience, etc., if this is too invasive a question, then don't feel compelled to answer.)

4.) How is the Human Rights and Humanitarian Policy concentration? It, along with the Economic and Political Development concentration, seem to form the "development studies" options available to MIA students. I gather you're doing the MPA program, but from what you understand, how does Columbia's study of this field differ from SAIS vs Georgetown vs elsewhere etc?

5.) What is your least favorite thing about the program? Put another way, what is one thing you wish you knew about the program before enrolling full time? 

Thanks!

1.) The website offers plenty of information, but in your opinion as a current student, how does the MPA differ from the MIA?

2.) I see you were accepted at SAIS, Georgetown SFS, and Columbia SIPA. These are all pretty fantastic programs (kudos and congratulations, btw!) What led you to choose SIPA over the other schools? 

3.) What was your profile like as an applicant (GRE, GPA, work experience, etc., if this is too invasive a question, then don't feel compelled to answer.)

4.) How is the Human Rights and Humanitarian Policy concentration? It, along with the Economic and Political Development concentration, seem to form the "development studies" options available to MIA students. I gather you're doing the MPA program, but from what you understand, how does Columbia's study of this field differ from SAIS vs Georgetown vs elsewhere etc?

5.) What is your least favorite thing about the program? Put another way, what is one thing you wish you knew about the program before enrolling full time? 

Thanks!

1. I would say that there is no real difference (one course is different but still pretty similar and the language requirement can be waived). What is more, you can change your major when 1st semester starts ;)

2. SIPA has amazing energy program plus you can take courses at business school, law school, school of engineering and all of them are excellent. 

3. I have quite unique profile so I will not be good benchmark ;) 168Q/155V, around two years of work experience (management consulting, diplomacy, banking) while studying.

4. I have no idea about this concentration. 

5. That some people on this forum say that it is not great ;)

Did you have the essay question asking you to describe yourself to an employer? If so, did it look something similar to a cover letter for a resume? Thanks ahead of time.

No, I did not have such an essay question.

1. Are you still working while attending school?

2. How would you describe the general makeup of your classmates? Their backgrounds and such?

3. Any clear ideas what you want to do after graduating?

4. How's the workload? On the Easy - Manageable - Kicking My Ass scale.

Thanks for doing this.

1.No, and as I see people do not generally work during first semester

2. Wow that's hard. I would say sipa is about diversity. We have folks who were working in government, united nations, mckinsey and ones who are straight from undergrad.

3. Most probably management consulting

4. Manageable but I had strong background in finance and econ which is really helpful for me

• 2 weeks later...

gradjm - I have already described my background. At SIPA there is no MPP, only MPA. I haven't been to HKS so far so I have no idea. The only thing I can say that SIPA has most probably more international focus (and 58% of our students and international). 

Hi alloy,

Thanks for doing this.

Are most of the professors full-time, what would you say percentage wise for those that are working in their field and at SIPA in an adjunct capacity?

How many students would you say are in the MIA vs MPA, are they split evenly?

Are you familiar with the Management specialization and if so, what are the classes like?

Whats been your favorite course so far?

Much Appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...

1. I would say that the most of the professors are working in their field

2. Even split

3. Actually, it is specialization where you can take almost every class you want (also at B-School) ;) So it is really flexible

4. Hard question. The three I would recommend: Energy System Fundamentals (a core course for energy, really demanding but you can learn a lot) & Global Financial Services (a class with retired I-Banker who gives awesome insights what was really happening inside biggest banks). On top of that I took also Consulting at B-School which was awesome.