How is chemistry graduate program at UMass Amherst rated for industry scientist jobs

payel1986

I am applying to a number of grad schools this fall and Umass Amherst is one of them. I found the school's chemistry dept. has quite a few professors worth watching. But it does not rank among the top 50 schools. Can anybody highlight how are the prospects of the PhDs from here? I am especially interested to be in industry after graduating. So, I would rather ask how are low-ranked grad school's student's evaluated by the industries? Does the pedigree matter or having a good number of publications with good impact can overcome the shortcomings? Thanks! Any help appreciated.

Considering anything out of the top-50 schools low ranked might not be the best way to approach things. A lot of schools in the 50-130 range (depending on the ranking system you're using) are still very solid schools, some with excellent research programs in specific areas. 

What matters, primarily, is your scholastic productivity during a PhD- number of papers, or for industry, number of patents, coupled with good letters of reference from well-regarded scholars. Similarly, your ability to make a good network, in and out of industry, also matters a lot.