Concentrations and Specializations

CJMSW

As I'm searching through all these different MSW programs I'm inspired by how many different concentrations and unique specializations there are!  I'm looking for a Clinical concentration dealing with either trauma, military/veteran/families, post-traumatic stress, or something related to human trafficking.  What are all of the rest of you wanting to pursue?! What drives you to pursue a MSW?

I'm very interested in working in the medical field, with seniors, and/or the VA.  My school doesn't have a specialization/concentration in any of those though, so hopefully with electives and choosing field experience I can sort of customize one.

• 2 weeks later...

As I'm searching through all these different MSW programs I'm inspired by how many different concentrations and unique specializations there are!  I'm looking for a Clinical concentration dealing with either trauma, military/veteran/families, post-traumatic stress, or something related to human trafficking.  What are all of the rest of you wanting to pursue?! What drives you to pursue a MSW?

Literally, word for work same concentration interests! Especially trauma with foster youth.

I'm interested in some of the same things as well! Really want to work with immigrant/refugee/human trafficking populations, as well as do macro-level work in policy, advocacy, etc. for gender equality.

On 10/24/2014 at 11:10 AM, rosesw said:

@ CJMSW and Read_books - Same here, especially w/r/t to human trafficking and foster youth. What clinical programs are you looking at?

So far I'm looking at applying to University of Louisville, University of Tennessee -Knoxville, Arizona State U, WashU in St. Louis, U of Mississippi, Barry University, and Catholic University of America.

Actually, OP, funny you should mention it.  I am in the clinical concentration and electing the Trauma-Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy Project (Trauma Specialization) as my second year focus. Very very excited to get over the foundation hump, although most of my professors are private practice and filter the material through that particular siv, very fortunate for me.

I received my specialization in Addictions Counseling from the University of Louisville. I have a family history of addiction and was always fascinated by the stories my family members would tell me about their experiences while they were in the throes of their disease. This "sick" fascination lead me down this path to an MSW with an AC specialization starting with a Sociology class I took my senior year of high school. 

As for UofL being expensive, I could understand the hesitation, CJMSW. However, I will say that (compared to the schools some of my co-workers attended for grad school) UofL has teachers that really push you to think critically, versus just remembering a bunch of definitions of clinical techniques. You will still be expected to understand those things, mind you, but you will also be expected to know how to apply concepts and ideas you've learned to real-life, current situations. 

There was less lecturing and more discussions and sharing that took place, with the vocabulary or theory of the day being a framework for the conversation. I always appreciated that. 

Good luck!