Should I write my SoP in a straight-forward way or as a story?

Hi guys! I'm struggling with my SoP these days, therefore I'm trying to seek some help plz... :( 

I basically wrote about some of my personal experience from 4 years ago when I entered college till now (studied sociology, anthropology, music, why do I like my major), and wrote about one of my projects related to my major (ethnomusicology). Then I wrote about which program attracts me and why I would be a good candidate for that...

However, I read some good SoPs from others and found all of these SoPs are really straight-forward: why am I applying for this program? What strength do I have? What academic awards and experience do I have? Then, I began to wonder, should I change my essay to that standard type? :o

Since Grad schools have limited time, I would suggest blending your story along with the "necessary" straightforward points to generate a quality essay that answers "everything" they need to know about you.  Good luck!!!!  :)

I agree with the above poster. A "story" format might be too unconventional, but if you can bring some creativity to the SOP and change up the routine way of doings things, it may impress whoever's reading your writing and at the very least help distinguish you among many other applicants. Just don't get too abstract or off-the-wall with it! And don't sacrifice content at the expense of creativity - as the above person stated, make sure it addresses everything they need to know about you.

David

Edited by fuzzylogician
edited to remove advertisement

• 2 weeks later...

Since Grad schools have limited time, I would suggest blending your story along with the "necessary" straightforward points to generate a quality essay that answers "everything" they need to know about you.  Good luck!!!!  :)

Thank you Elli! Your suggestion has been very helpful. Good luck on your application too! :)