MBA or MS Accounting

salvo620

Hi,

So I just recently graduated from school with an undergraduate degree in Accounting. I have all the intent in going to grad school in the future (sooner rather than later). I currently work at a small accounting firm and really like the work that I do here. I enjoy preparing tax returns, but also enjoy the travel that auditing sometimes forces you to do. The firm definitely allows me to see all different aspects of accounting work, auditing, tax, and bookkeeping duties. That being said even though I enjoy it here, I would definitely jump on the opportunity to work at a Big 4 firm, and take on larger scale tasks with bigger companies (something that interests me). However, that would be 5+ years down the road and once I finish grad school, get my CPA license, and have gained 5+ yrs. experience here at the small firm. Essentially once my schooling, and licensing is complete. 

My question is would an MBA or MS in Acc. be better for me throughout my career? Is an MS in Accounting less valuable than an MBA if I change my mind and decide to go into private accounting in a few years?

Thanks!

Edited by salvo620

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I would do the MBA provided that you can get into a good program.

Given that you already have an undergrad in accounting and I think the MBA will give you more options and flexibility.  You'll get the credit hours either way with an MBA or a Master's in Accounting. The boards of accountancy are typically pretty generous in terms of what classes will qualify for CPA licensing.

I actually have a Master's in Accountancy and worked for a Big 4 firm for a couple of years. They don't care all that much if your accounting credits come from an MBA program or a Masters in Accountancy but I think, with an MBA, you would have access to more than just strictly accounting roles should you decide to move on to another company. I also think you'll be more well-rounded after having done an MBA.  I don't think you'll see anything new in a graduate accounting program that you didn't already do in undergrad.

• 4 weeks later...

You can do the master in finance. This will be beneficial for you when you will be applying for any other country. As you will face no cultural differences. There also a boom in finance industry these days which increases the probability of getting a better job.

• 5 weeks later...

I have a degree in accounting, an Masters in Accounting, and a CPA.  If you already have the accounting credit hours needed to sit for your CPA, then I'd go with the MBA.  It is more flexible.  However, if you are still having some problems with some concepts that will be tested on the CPA exam, then a MS in accounting will help with that.  Another71.com has a great active forum for people who are trying to get their CPAs.  If I were you, I'd go over there and ask them what they think.

• 3 weeks later...