Housing- CSU Fresno

Students who are undergraduate or doing their masters, I would really appreciate if you shed some light on housing. My daughter is moving there and I need to know about safe area. We will visit there in week or two to see how it looks but any feedback will be appreciated.

Any pro/cons?

How much is rent for 1 bed 1 bath apt?

Is it better to live with another girl?

Living close to school campus is disturbing study?

Better to live in a house/apt little far from campus?

How is the safety there?

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

I don't know too much about Fresno, but I'll try to answer some of your questions.

For rent check craigslist. Fresno State may have a website only open to students that will have housing listings available.

I know absolutely nothing about Fresno public transit options, so if your daughter has no car, she may have to live close to campus.

I also know nothing about Fresno's neighborhoods, but I googled and found this: http://www.movoto.com/blog/homeownership/the-5-best-neighborhoods-in-fresno/

Woodward Park doesn't look that far from Fresno State and is safe, according to that site.

Roommates and related issues are personal and depend on financial situation, privacy desired, and so on.

I'm on the same boat, I'm looking for housing there as well, Congrats to your daughter, I should be meeting her soon! My boyfriend who lived in Fresno for a couple of months said to avoid anything south of Shaw Ave. that was his main advice to me. I'm taking him with me to search for apartments since he knows the area. I've never been to Fresno so I'm a bit nervous.

Thanks Chandru. We have done lots of research and going for campus tour next month. Actually it would be nice to hear from current fresno students what are their opinions.

Congratulations Kgomez.

Hi, Parent!

I'm a speech pathologist who lives very close to Fresno State.. Stumbled on this site looking up something for Speech Pathology.  The "Hoover" area, as referenced in another post, is where I live and it's fine.  There are buses but lots of student housing around, either apartments across from the school (Shaw Ave.), dorms on campus or within about a mile all around the school.  I don't know the local apartment rental rates, but Fresno itself is relatively reasonable compared to other California cities.  I'd suggest living close to the school, so you can walk, rather than Woodward Park, which is lovely, but you'd want a car in that case.   Look at google maps, around Fresno State, and you'll see lots of student housing marked.  The only apartments I'd avoid are tucked in near Bulldog Lane (El Dorodo Park), but they are not student apartments.  The Sorority and Fraternity houses are near there, too. 

My son is a student at Fresno State as well.  He spends a lot of time in the library studying.  I'd ask him more, but he's sleeping, again. lol

Find me on facebook and I can message you privately, if you want.  

B Polson

Students who are undergraduate or doing their masters, I would really appreciate if you shed some light on housing. My daughter is moving there and I need to know about safe area. We will visit there in week or two to see how it looks but any feedback will be appreciated.

Any pro/cons?

How much is rent for 1 bed 1 bath apt?

Is it better to live with another girl?

Living close to school campus is disturbing study?

Better to live in a house/apt little far from campus?

How is the safety there?

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

I'm a student at Fresno State. A lot of my friends are staying at the Woodside Park apartments, I don't know how much it is exactly to stay there, but from what I heard it is pretty affordable. It is also a gated community, so it's much safer than a lot of other apartments nearby. If you want a cheap one, there is one right across campus - North Park apartments, which is very old and not very safe. In my opinion, the best student's housings are probably the Palazzo apartments (http://palazzofresno.com/) and the University Village (http://uvfresno.com/), you can see the rates for the 1Bed/1Bath apt on their website. 

Public transportation in Fresno sucks, so if she's not gonna drive here, I suggest to just stay near campus.

Thanks Chilapia!

This is what I was looking for that some student will respond. She will have a car but looking to get a room in safe area. Do you know which buliding has all the speech classes/clinics close to which side of campus? We will be going for a school tour and that day will visit all the apartments too. Thank you so much for all the insight.

I believe the classrooms/clinic are in the College of Health & Human Services, Public Health building (PH 80). You can see that location on the map here http://www.fresnostate.edu/map/ .. I am going up this weekend to check out housing, and I've been looking at the places chilapia recommended online. I will probably be in one of those places -- easier not being responsible for someone else's lease, etc.  Good luck searching!