SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship/CGS Doctoral Scholarship 2015-2016

crimsoc

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am writing my Program of Study right now.

How do others format their citations? I can't find any guidelines. Are we allowed to use endnotes? Basically I am over the 2 page limit and I need to cut something. My footnotes are full citations and taking up a lot of space! Help! 

I am writing my Program of Study right now.

How do others format their citations? I can't find any guidelines. Are we allowed to use endnotes? Basically I am over the 2 page limit and I need to cut something. My footnotes are full citations and taking up a lot of space! Help! 

Yeah you absolutely need to stay in the 2 pages or else you will get cut. I did APA in text citation (citations kept to a minimum) then in the 5 page bibliography, I included my citations in there. I would stay away from footnotes as it takes up valuable space where you can write your proposal!

Hi all! First-time forum poster--and first time SSHRC Doctoral applicant! I applied externally since I study at a U.S. school.

I'm just curious if anyone knows the timeline for notification about the awards? I've heard that you get some kind of notification around February if your application has been advanced to the next level of adjudication, and then final results in May. Is that correct?

Cheers!

Hi all! First-time forum poster--and first time SSHRC Doctoral applicant! I applied externally since I study at a U.S. school.

I'm just curious if anyone knows the timeline for notification about the awards? I've heard that you get some kind of notification around February if your application has been advanced to the next level of adjudication, and then final results in May. Is that correct?

Cheers!

Hey there,

Have a look in previous threads - I believe people were being notified of getting out to SSHRC (Ottawa) as early as mid December and then awarded in mid March.

GL.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there,

Have a look in previous threads - I believe people were being notified of getting out to SSHRC (Ottawa) as early as mid December and then awarded in mid March.

GL.

Yes, but it's a different thing for the US applicants, who apply directly to SSHRC. For these folks, notification in late February to early March is more common.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure if it's the same for SSHRC, but for NSERC you are able to see the status of your application once you log into the site (that is, the site one on which you submitted your application) - if the status of your application is "Received", then it has been submitted to NSERC by your university. Otherwise, it has not.

Even though the decisions were made by your university almost a month ago now, some universities don't email applicants to let them know whether or not they've made it to the next round of the competition until January, so don't let a non-response worry you too much.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey gang, 

So I was notified today that my application has been forwarded by my institution. I know that the tri-council is trying to make the universities have more pull in terms of who is awarded funding, so does that mean that since I have been forwarded on that it is likely that i will get funding? 

Also, does anybody know if once awarded, it can be transferred to a US school if I decide to go to one? 

Hey gang, 

So I was notified today that my application has been forwarded by my institution. I know that the tri-council is trying to make the universities have more pull in terms of who is awarded funding, so does that mean that since I have been forwarded on that it is likely that i will get funding? 

Also, does anybody know if once awarded, it can be transferred to a US school if I decide to go to one? 

Based on the statistics of previous contests it means you're at about 50% chances of getting an award or the other. 

It can be transferred to a US school BUT if you have a CGS-D (35K) you need to downgrade to a doctoral award(20K). 

Hello fellow SSHRC applicants!

I've been a long-time lurker and finally made an account to follow this forum officially. This group has been truly helpful over the years - so glad such a community exists. :)

Does anyone know what actually happens in Ottawa when they evaluate your application? Do professors in your field gather in one room and rate your application together or they evaluate your application separately then come to some sort of a consensus on your application,...?

• 3 weeks later...

Hello! Like HollaAtYoGurrrl, I've been a long time lurker and finally decided to "take the plunge" as I finished up PhD application season.

I was forwarded on by my university in late December, which I was surprised about, as my department never usually forwards candidates who aren't planning to return to their institution.

From what I have heard from professors, there are five SSHRC ranking committees in Ottawa and your proposal is sent to one of the five, based on Departmental affiliation, I'd assume. The list of all the sub-committees is here.

Edited by happy little pill

I applied directly to my university.

I was surprised today to see that they are still using snail mail to let people know their status. :S 

No kidding. Considering CHIR, NSERC, and the MA SSHRC are all on the online portal now. What gives?!  :(

Did anyone apply directly to SSHRC? 

Hi there! I also applied directly to SSHRC. Apparently we hear back in mid-to-late February if our applications are being forwarded to the next level of adjudication.

Hi there! I also applied directly to SSHRC. Apparently we hear back in mid-to-late February if our applications are being forwarded to the next level of adjudication.

Oh, wow! Thanks for the info :)

I did apply directly last year and I found out around April that I was unsuccessful. So I suppose if you get something from SSHRC in the mail in February it's good news?