SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship/CGS Doctoral Scholarship 2015-2016

crimsoc

I applied directly to SSHRC and just received a letter that I've been forward to Ottawa! Wooooo

Thanks for the info folks.  I'm away from home, but now I know to ask my niece to open the letter for me and send the news. Fingers crossed. Congrats to everyone who has been forwarded!  

^ I'm pretty sure its a selection of professors from across Canada who are pre-selected, and who teach/research in the areas of the group we're placed in. So for example, if your proposal is in the field of philosophy, the committee would be a collection of professors across history, religious studies, etc etc. I don't know more specifics than that and would also be interested in hearing more info!

http://www.sshrc-crsh.gc.ca/funding-financement/apply-demande/background-renseignements/doctoral_committees-comites_doctorat-eng.aspx

Just found out that my letter finally arrived in Vancouver today, and I have also been forwarded to the national competition! Dont worry if it takes a while for your letter to arrive or if it says <nothing to display> under your applications in the sshrc portal (that doesn't mean rejection). Fingers crossed!

Has anyone received a negative letter yet? I'm haven't received anything and I'm concerned they, in contrast to previous years, have only mailed positive letters.

We wont hear anything for another month at the very earliest :)

For those who applied directly to SSHRC, if I was accepted into the program that I had indicated in my SSHRC application, should I e-mail them to inform them of the update? I wasn't sure if it mattered.

I would advise against this in case you get a rejection in a month and have to email them back with negative news. 

We wont hear anything for another month at the very earliest :)

I would advise against this in case you get a rejection in a month and have to email them back with negative news.

Oh, well my new institution already knows I was forwarded to SSHRC. Unless you meant unless I was rejected from the program?

happy little pill - my thoughts exactly. the timing is ridiculously inconvenient, as results will be released after the almost-universal April 15th program acceptance date :(

Yes, it looks like many of us are in the same precarious boat. I'm having a really hard time making a decision on PhD programs without knowing if I will have sshrc-funding or not, so I thought I'd see if anyone has any advice (or a similar situation to vent about). I only applied to 3 universities (5 programs), and I've only heard back from one so far. Luckily, they gave me a really good offer (a 4-year, 18K fellowship and tuition waiver). I feel really grateful to have received this offer, but the issue is that the university is not my first choice, and it's in Vancouver (and I know from experience that it would be difficult to survive on that amount in such an expensive city). Also, the letter states that if I receive external funding (e.g. SSHRC) than I will no longer receive the fellowship and tuition waiver from the university. As a direct applicant to sshrc (forwarded on to the national competition), it looks like I have about a 35% chance of success (based on the estimations from other posters). My preference is to go to one of the other programs I applied to in Montreal (which is much more affordable), but I don't know if I will even be accepted (not to mention if I will be offered any funding). I have spoken to some profs who are interested in supervising (and may have some RA work coming up), but that's no guarantee. Ideally, I will get accepted into the program of my choice in Montreal, with the possibility of also getting sshrc funding this year or next (and the possibility of university scholarships or RA work that wouldn't be cancelled out if I receive external funding). The problem is that I have to respond to my only offer so far in Vancouver by March 2nd. So do I reject a good offer in the hopes to getting into my dream program in my dream city and finding funding somewhere out there? Your thoughts and insights would be greatly appreciated! thanks 

Is the CGS Masters application process the same as the doctoral one or for even external applicants? Because from my understanding of CGS at least this year it's up to the institutions you put on your application that decide if they will offer you SSHRC at that specific institution not one singular committee decides anymore. I put 5 schools on my application and my application was sent to them, they make their own decisions as to who they will award it to. I got an email from one of the institutions saying my application will be forwarded but if that specific school awards it to me and I decide not to attend their school I have to forfeit the award and they will offer it to the next person... Am I getting this wrong because this is what I've been told by numerous people?

Edited by LebaneseKafta

Is the CGS Masters application process the same as the doctoral one or for even external applicants? Because from my understanding of CGS at least this year it's up to the institutions you put on your application that decide if they will offer you SSHRC at that specific institution not one singular committee decides anymore. I put 5 schools on my application and my application was sent to them, they make their own decisions as to who they will award it to. I got an email from one of the institutions saying my application will be forwarded but if that specific school awards it to me and I decide not to attend their school I have to forfeit the award and they will offer it to the next person... Am I getting this wrong because this is what I've been told by numerous people?

Unfortunately, you are – the PhD applications are evaluated in Ottawa by SSHRC, while, as you’ve said, the MScs applications are now evaluated internally by individual institutions.

I think accepting PhD programs and then later declining or deferring is fairly common (at least, I know of a few friends who have done this). However, I would not personally do this if it would lead a professor to believe that I want to work with them next year. It’s one thing to lead on a department – it’s not ideal, I know, but programs usually don’t expect complete attendance from everyone who accepts – but I think it’s much worse if you lead on a professor who may or may not make plans based on your acceptance. And this is not solely out of compassion – I think in that case you’re likely burning what might one day be an important bridge.

The good news is that generally if a professor is interested in taking you on, then you’re likely to be accepted by the PhD program, assuming you meet the admission requirements. So I think there is a high chance you’ll get in elsewhere.

Yes, it looks like many of us are in the same precarious boat. I'm having a really hard time making a decision on PhD programs without knowing if I will have sshrc-funding or not, so I thought I'd see if anyone has any advice (or a similar situation to vent about). I only applied to 3 universities (5 programs), and I've only heard back from one so far. Luckily, they gave me a really good offer (a 4-year, 18K fellowship and tuition waiver). I feel really grateful to have received this offer, but the issue is that the university is not my first choice, and it's in Vancouver (and I know from experience that it would be difficult to survive on that amount in such an expensive city). Also, the letter states that if I receive external funding (e.g. SSHRC) than I will no longer receive the fellowship and tuition waiver from the university. As a direct applicant to sshrc (forwarded on to the national competition), it looks like I have about a 35% chance of success (based on the estimations from other posters). My preference is to go to one of the other programs I applied to in Montreal (which is much more affordable), but I don't know if I will even be accepted (not to mention if I will be offered any funding). I have spoken to some profs who are interested in supervising (and may have some RA work coming up), but that's no guarantee. Ideally, I will get accepted into the program of my choice in Montreal, with the possibility of also getting sshrc funding this year or next (and the possibility of university scholarships or RA work that wouldn't be cancelled out if I receive external funding). The problem is that I have to respond to my only offer so far in Vancouver by March 2nd. So do I reject a good offer in the hopes to getting into my dream program in my dream city and finding funding somewhere out there? Your thoughts and insights would be greatly appreciated! thanks 

I have heard of people accepting offers and then rejecting them later. You could ask yourself if that is a risk you are willing to take; it could involve burning an important bridge, but it could also save you a year off/the stress and money of reapplying if Vancouver is the only offer you get this round. Alternatively, could you ask the Vancouver school for an extension, and explain that you haven't heard from the majority of your potential schools? It could be worth a shot. One school told me their deadline was March 6 but then I asked for an extension and they turned out to be flexible, saying I could have 2 more weeks. I'm not sure if that's the norm, though...

Edited by Lorelai_Gilmore

I have heard of people accepting offers and then rejecting them later. You could ask yourself if that is a risk you are willing to take; it could involve burning an important bridge, but it could also save you a year off/the stress and money of reapplying if Vancouver is the only offer you get this round. Alternatively, could you ask the Vancouver school for an extension, and explain that you haven't heard from the majority of your potential schools? It could be worth a shot. One school told me their deadline was March 6 but then I asked for an extension and they turned out to be flexible, saying I could have 2 more weeks. I'm not sure if that's the norm, though...

Thanks for the great advice Lorelai_Gilmore and Extrastine. I have asked for a 2-week extension, and I'm waiting for a reply. I agree that it's best to keep my options open, but I also don't want to burn bridges with the prof who has agreed to take me on (so I'm going to write to him and explain that I need more time). I also realize that I am holding a spot and funding that someone else probably really needs, so I am going to pressure the other schools for news soon. take care

Quick question here for direct applicants who applied to programs for 2015-2016: does anyone know if SSHRC committees are informed of acceptances? I was recently accepted to the program I mentioned in my program of study, and I'm wondering if this might positively impact the adjudication of my application. Thanks!

Quick question here for direct applicants who applied to programs for 2015-2016: does anyone know if SSHRC committees are informed of acceptances? I was recently accepted to the program I mentioned in my program of study, and I'm wondering if this might positively impact the adjudication of my application. Thanks!

Good Question. I would think so....  :huh:

Isn't that information confidential, though? I'd imagine that the university would have to report to you that they were sending that information on to SSHRC - it's the same reason why your mom can't call up your university and ask for information about your grades. Plus, if you're applying for SSHRC, chances are that your GPA is pretty high and you have a clear project idea in mind, so if you aren't already in a program, then you're most likely going to be admitted. I don't see how this would actually help them in evaluating your file. 

^ Yes, I agree with happy little pill. If you are a strong enough candidate to win a SSHRC, it is likely assumed that you will be accepted into a program. I doubt they're worried about their top candidates not having an institution to accept the award at.