SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship/CGS Doctoral Scholarship 2015-2016

crimsoc

Heh that was me. I was getting really curious and I was going to post up a screenshot.

what. the. eff. sshrc.

Yeah, May seems extraordinarily long compared to previous years. 

^ Yes, I agree with happy little pill. If you are a strong enough candidate to win a SSHRC, it is likely assumed that you will be accepted into a program. I doubt they're worried about their top candidates not having an institution to accept the award at.

Thanks for the comments! This is super helpful. I should note, however, that I am an undergrad, and I applied to doctoral programs as well as M.A. programs. I decided to take the chance and apply for the SSHRC doctoral fellowship. Fortunately, I was admitted to doctoral programs, but I worry that the adjudication committee might cast doubt upon my application due to the fact that I am an undergrad. Hope this makes sense!

Many thanks!

Edited by tacitmonument

Unless I am mistaken, 2014-2015 is actually last year's competition. Ours will be marked as 2015-2016, as that's the school year in which this competition's awards will be distributed.

Edited by ImmCrit

And by May they mean mailing out the results on May 31st so we receive them sometime around June 20th...

Ouch! Well, sshrc responded to me personally that results would be out by the end of april, so I will try to hold them to it... How is everyone holding out? I turned down a great fellowship offer in exchange for a great supervisor with limited funding at a different university in the hopes of securing sshrc. I guess sometimes you have to risk security in exchange for what you really want.  wishing everyone the best of luck. 

Thanks for the comments! This is super helpful. I should note, however, that I am an undergrad, and I applied to doctoral programs as well as M.A. programs. I decided to take the chance and apply for the SSHRC doctoral fellowship. Fortunately, I was admitted to doctoral programs, but I worry that the adjudication committee might cast doubt upon my application due to the fact that I am an undergrad. Hope this makes sense!

Many thanks!

Hi tacirmonument, I  think you raised some important questions in your previous post, and I don't think we have a clear answers at this point. While I have completed an MA degree already, I can understand your uncertainty as an undergrad applicant. For me, I applied as a direct interdisciplinary applicant, and I know from experience and numerous conversations with professors that people are often confused (if not outright scared or intimidated by) heavily interdisciplinary research. The question for me is do I need to let SSHRC know that I've been accepted into my program of choice and have the support of several tenured professor with my seemingly challenging thesis project? I would imagine that you might face similar constraints or concerns as an undergrad applicant (e.g., are they going to take my proposal seriously and understand that I do have the necessary support in place to complete it?). It is indeed quite different to apply as a direct applicant with special circumstances (as opposed to a register grad student with a straightforward proposal), and I think it could be worth emailing SSHRC to let them know that you've been accepted into your program of choice. 

Hi tacirmonument, I  think you raised some important questions in your previous post, and I don't think we have a clear answers at this point. While I have completed an MA degree already, I can understand your uncertainty as an undergrad applicant. For me, I applied as a direct interdisciplinary applicant, and I know from experience and numerous conversations with professors that people are often confused (if not outright scared or intimidated by) heavily interdisciplinary research. The question for me is do I need to let SSHRC know that I've been accepted into my program of choice and have the support of several tenured professor with my seemingly challenging thesis project? I would imagine that you might face similar constraints or concerns as an undergrad applicant (e.g., are they going to take my proposal seriously and understand that I do have the necessary support in place to complete it?). It is indeed quite different to apply as a direct applicant with special circumstances (as opposed to a register grad student with a straightforward proposal), and I think it could be worth emailing SSHRC to let them know that you've been accepted into your program of choice. 

Many thanks for this message! It's very helpful. I e-mailed a SSHRC officer to inquire.

Also, I totally agree with you, because I don't think it is accurate to assume that all strong applicants will be admitted to doctoral programs per se! As we know, the admissions process is strange and impossible to predict. Further, direct applicants, I think, are at a disadvantage insofar as their proposals do not, as you say, have the implicit support that applicants in programs have.

Thanks for both the support and understanding, and I so hope you receive good news!

Edited by tacitmonument

Hi solala and tacitmonument. I strongly believe that notifying SSHRC of your acceptance into a university will not and should not make any difference in the outcome of the adjudication of your SSHRC applications. I see the concerns that you are raising and they're completely valid. However, SSHRC is not concerned whether you are successfully admitted into a program or not. That will be your responsibility, so to speak. They adjudicate applications based purely on the information you supplied in them. They examine how well you are suited to carry out the project that you are proposing, it's as simple as that. Of course, you have indicated in your applications the universities that you may or will be attending and potential supervisor/committee members you'd be working with. But I think that's now finalized and no changes are permitted to your Program of Study. Anyway, that's how I see it, and certainly I could be wrong! And when you contact SSHRC, please do share their response!

Hi solala and tacitmonument. I strongly believe that notifying SSHRC of your acceptance into a university will not and should not make any difference in the outcome of the adjudication of your SSHRC applications. I see the concerns that you are raising and they're completely valid. However, SSHRC is not concerned whether you are successfully admitted into a program or not. That will be your responsibility, so to speak. They adjudicate applications based purely on the information you supplied in them. They examine how well you are suited to carry out the project that you are proposing, it's as simple as that. Of course, you have indicated in your applications the universities that you may or will be attending and potential supervisor/committee members you'd be working with. But I think that's now finalized and no changes are permitted to your Program of Study. Anyway, that's how I see it, and certainly I could be wrong! And when you contact SSHRC, please do share their response!

Thanks for this note! I think this is totally right, especially considering that direct applicants are not instructed to inform SSHRC of their application results. I think it's highly unlikely that SSHRC will actually request this information; however, I figure I might as well ask, that is, given the circumstance.

I will be sure to share the results!

Edited by tacitmonument

Thanks for this note! I think this is totally right, especially considering that direct applicants are not instructed to inform SSHRC of their application results. I think it's highly unlikely that SSHRC will actually request this information; however, I figure I might as well ask, that is, given the circumstance.

I will be sure to share the results!

Agreed. If you ask them, I think at worst they will say that it doesn't matter, but this will certainly not harm your application. At best, they might be able to make note of your acceptance and (who knows) it might actually help increase your chances. So it's worth a shot. thanks for keeping us posted. 

Ouch! Well, sshrc responded to me personally that results would be out by the end of april, so I will try to hold them to it... How is everyone holding out? I turned down a great fellowship offer in exchange for a great supervisor with limited funding at a different university in the hopes of securing sshrc. I guess sometimes you have to risk security in exchange for what you really want.  wishing everyone the best of luck. 

I was lucky and my university offered me a great package, but I'm going to be in Toronto, so SSHRC will be the difference between living in either a crappy apartment on my own or in an apartment with a roommate *cries* and living somewhere that is halfway decent. I'm hoping that they stick to the end of April deadline but maybe they got held up? 

Edited by happy little pill

I was lucky and my university offered me a great package, but I'm going to be in Toronto, so SSHRC will be the difference between living in either a crappy apartment on my own or in an apartment with a roommate *cries* and living somewhere that is halfway decent. I'm hoping that they stick to the end of April deadline but maybe they got held up?

Perhaps. If you look at past forums you'll note that from the latter half of April to mid May people get their results. We can speculate but the trend is always during end April and early May.

Perhaps. If you look at past forums you'll note that from the latter half of April to mid May people get their results. We can speculate but the trend is always during end April and early May.

My university released an update a couple of weeks ago that Ph.D. SSHRC applicants should receive their results at the end of April.

My university released an update a couple of weeks ago that Ph.D. SSHRC applicants should receive their results at the end of April.

Thanks Konstantin. It looks like same timeline as last year.

I heard back from a SSHRC officer today! As we anticipated, it makes no difference if one is admitted to a program after the submission of the application.

Best of luck to all as we approach a very long April!

Edited by tacitmonument

I'm thesis writing so luckily, I spend most of my time writing and revising rather than thinking about this - but I do check the forum at least once a day to see if anyone has heard from SSHRC or SGS at their school! :P

What about you? How are you holding up?

I oscillate between thinking I stand no chance, to convincing myself that *someone* has to win and it could very well be me. This oscillation happens approximately every hour and it's exhausting. I need to find a way to forget about sshrc during my essay season...

I oscillate between thinking I stand no chance, to convincing myself that *someone* has to win and it could very well be me. This oscillation happens approximately every hour and it's exhausting. I need to find a way to forget about sshrc during my essay season...

This is where I'm at, too - I waffle between thinking that I have NO chance whatsoever, but then I remember that I need to put the positive vibes into the air. I'm talented, I have a good research project, SOMEONE has to win these, so why wouldn't it be me? But I've made my decisions as if I don't get SSHRC so that if I do get it, it's basically a bonus for me.

This is where I'm at, too - I waffle between thinking that I have NO chance whatsoever, but then I remember that I need to put the positive vibes into the air. I'm talented, I have a good research project, SOMEONE has to win these, so why wouldn't it be me? But I've made my decisions as if I don't get SSHRC so that if I do get it, it's basically a bonus for me.

I think we all get a little bi-polar this time around! Looks like the Vanier awards have been disbursed! Won't be long now!