SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship/CGS Doctoral Scholarship 2015-2016

crimsoc

I emailed sshrc a couple days ago and they said they will be released in April. 

Wonderful. Thanks!

Did SSHRC, by chance, specify when? 

& is it true that the committees have already adjudicated our applications?

Many thanks!

Edited by tacitmonument

Hi everyone. I'm a long-time lurker that made a new account to join in the torture. I've been checking the site daily.  

FYI, I know each year is different, but last year people started getting confirmations around April 21st-22nd if I remember correctly

Goodluck to everyone!

I feel so strangely proud for all the people that I know who received an MA SSHRC like I'm passing off the baton to a well-deserving crowd!

If only doctoral results were announced the same way so that it wouldn't be so awful for everyone lol

Edited by happy little pill

I feel so strangely proud for all the people that I know who received an MA SSHRC like I'm passing off the baton to a well-deserving crowd!

If only doctoral results were announced the same way so that it wouldn't be so awful for everyone lol

Only a few more weeks left now!

Has anyone ever encountered an undergraduate student who has received a doctoral SSHRC?

Thanks!

I don't personally know of any, but I am sure that they probably exist - they wouldn't let undergrads apply if they didn't have a shot at making it. But it's not very common in the program that I did my undergrad in for people to apply to American schools, not without doing an MA first at least. My friend applied last year through our university for SSHRC doctoral though, but she either wasn't forwarded/didn't get one in the end as she applied again this year.

Edited by happy little pill

I don't personally know of any, but I am sure that they probably exist - they wouldn't let undergrads apply if they didn't have a shot at making it. But it's not very common in the program that I did my undergrad in for people to apply to American schools, not without doing an MA first at least. My friend applied last year through our university for SSHRC doctoral though but she either wasn't forwarded/didn't get one in the end as she applied again this year.

Thanks for this!

Has anyone ever encountered an undergraduate student who has received a doctoral SSHRC?

Thanks!

Yes I think I know of one woman.  I put "think" because I've never confirmed this with her. While I was an MA student, she entered the doctoral program straight from undergrad with a SSHRC. She took MA classes for one year but she was technically a doctoral student.

I wasn't clear about the logistics of this: I thought she was an MA student the entire time I was there, but she only took one year to complete her MA and started her PhD the following year and had a doctoral SSHRC that she listed on her CV (it began the year she started taking MA courses with us). I don't think she applied for the PhD program either, she was simply bridged into it. So from my understanding, she came straight from undergrad into the doctoral program but had to complete an MA the first year as a requirement.

I can't be sure of any of this and it is based on my observations and some assumptions. It probably happens though within particular disciplines. I was in the Humanities at a Canadian University, which also made this very strange. I could see this being more probable in the sciences. 

Edited by jeenyus

Hey folks, I hope the waiting game is not driving anyone too crazy (it's just another 2-3 weeks!). I am grateful to have been accepted into 4 out of 5 of the programs I applied to, but I find I'm second-guessing my decision (because SSHRC funding would change a lot of factors). I actually haven't received any news on my application to McGill, and I heard an applicant to the English department speculating that some departments might be waiting for SSHRC to announce results before finalizing decisions on PhD offers. Has anyone heard of a department doing that before? While it would certainly be advantageous for a department to have new PhD students enter their program with SSHRC funding, I question if they would really make applicants wait over this and risk lousing them to other universities. Anyways, I'm curious if this could be a possible factor to explain the huge delay. Any thoughts? thanks! 

Hello fellow grad students. :)
I have a sort of strange question. I never applied for SSHRC or OGS separately this year, as this coming September will by my first PhD year and I wasn't ready to submit a proposal yet back in November (when the deadline was for independent applicants). But one of the universities whose PhD program I got into (they offered me acceptance on February 2nd) also said in the admission letter that the department has recommended me for OGS and for SSHRC. But I never filled out a separate SSHRC or OGS application. I wasn't aware that this could actually happen that way. My understanding was that I apply to SSHRC and OGS separately and cannot just be "recommended" by the department only through sending an application for the specific PhD program. 

A large part of me didn't even believe that I was in the running for OGS and SSHRC, but I received an email from OGS on April 2 saying that my application was successful. So I am now also anxiously awaiting SSHRC results, but feel kind of silly because I haven't gone through an application myself.

Is anyone else here in a similar situation or has heard of someone receiving SSHRC that way? I remember SSHRC being a very demanding application and somehow I'd find it odd to receive SSHRC just by applying to a PhD program, being accepted by it and recommended by it for a SSHRC. Or am I missing some key information here? 

Thanks for enlightening me, and good luck everyone! :)

Hey folks, I hope the waiting game is not driving anyone too crazy (it's just another 2-3 weeks!). I am grateful to have been accepted into 4 out of 5 of the programs I applied to, but I find I'm second-guessing my decision (because SSHRC funding would change a lot of factors). I actually haven't received any news on my application to McGill, and I heard an applicant to the English department speculating that some departments might be waiting for SSHRC to announce results before finalizing decisions on PhD offers. Has anyone heard of a department doing that before? While it would certainly be advantageous for a department to have new PhD students enter their program with SSHRC funding, I question if they would really make applicants wait over this and risk lousing them to other universities. Anyways, I'm curious if this could be a possible factor to explain the huge delay. Any thoughts? thanks! 

I think it's more a case of McGill being universally slow across the board due to having a lot of applications and some of their admissions committee procedures seem a little wonky, to be honest. I had a friend who didn't find out til May that she was accepted to McGill last year, and by that time she'd already presumed a rejection from them, had accepted another offer, and had already moved to her new city. 

Hello fellow grad students.  :)

I have a sort of strange question. I never applied for SSHRC or OGS separately this year, as this coming September will by my first PhD year and I wasn't ready to submit a proposal yet back in November (when the deadline was for independent applicants). But one of the universities whose PhD program I got into (they offered me acceptance on February 2nd) also said in the admission letter that the department has recommended me for OGS and for SSHRC. But I never filled out a separate SSHRC or OGS application. I wasn't aware that this could actually happen that way. My understanding was that I apply to SSHRC and OGS separately and cannot just be "recommended" by the department only through sending an application for the specific PhD program. 

A large part of me didn't even believe that I was in the running for OGS and SSHRC, but I received an email from OGS on April 2 saying that my application was successful. So I am now also anxiously awaiting SSHRC results, but feel kind of silly because I haven't gone through an application myself.

Is anyone else here in a similar situation or has heard of someone receiving SSHRC that way? I remember SSHRC being a very demanding application and somehow I'd find it odd to receive SSHRC just by applying to a PhD program, being accepted by it and recommended by it for a SSHRC. Or am I missing some key information here? 

Thanks for enlightening me, and good luck everyone!  :)

I don't think that you can receive SSHRC without having done a formal application because you have to be vetted by the committee through competition. Even at schools where your department has magical veto power to send your application directly for A-list consideration, you have to actually submit an application. Maybe they're assuming that you submitted with their school? I also know from the awards woman at my current institution that schools had to have their list of SSHRC forwards to Ottawa by January 6th. Maybe they meant that they'd recommend you for OGS and SSHRC if you applied in the future? This was what I was told when I met with the GPD and my supervisor at my current institution, that if I didn't get SSHRC this year, I would be sent by the department to SGS as one of the candidates to be automatically considered for SSHRC A-list. 

OGS might be different. I didn't apply for that this year because I ran out of time.

Just out of curiosity,do CGS winners find out prior to Fellowships? I should know this as its my literal 4th time applying to Sshrc.

Anyone else pumped that we will all find out in the next few weeks??

Question: Will direct applicants be notified the same time as those who applied through their departments or even later? Anyone have experience with this?

Edited by marigold

Question: Will direct applicants be notified the same time as those who applied through their departments or even later? Anyone have experience with this?

I think everyone's notified at the same time - it's not like CGS-M where it's tied to a school, our results are all mailed out.

I think everyone's notified at the same time - it's not like CGS-M where it's tied to a school, our results are all mailed out.

Indeed! Keep an eye out for the official notice on their twitter page. My sshrc rejection letter from last year was dated April 17th. They announced about 5 days later through a tweet.

So I'm a first time doctoral applicant. I received the award for my MA but I'm not sure if the process is the same. 

I was forwarded by my school for the award... when do we find out if we were chosen? Do we find out from our schools or directly from SSHRC? How do we know which award we were given? Are your chances better if you were nominated by your school? I know... LOTS of questions, but please have sympathy for a rookie :)