SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship/CGS Doctoral Scholarship 2015-2016

crimsoc

So I'm a first time doctoral applicant. I received the award for my MA but I'm not sure if the process is the same. 

I was forwarded by my school for the award... when do we find out if we were chosen? Do we find out from our schools or directly from SSHRC? How do we know which award we were given? Are your chances better if you were nominated by your school? I know... LOTS of questions, but please have sympathy for a rookie :)

You should be finding out soon, via the postal service, by SSHRC directly and not your school (p.s. most of these questions can be found on SSHRC's web page). As for whether your chances are better if you were nominated by your school... unless you're applying directly because you're outside of Canada for your schooling/your school doesn't have a SSHRC quota, then that's the only way to be forwarded to the national competition so it's advantageous in the sense that you've been forwarded on but you don't have an edge over anyone else, you're going to be juried same as every other person.

---

Guys, we're officially one week closer!!! My money (eta: pun not intended) is not on this week, because the 18th seems a little early for SSHRC to mail out doctoral results, but next week.

Edited by happy little pill

Guys, we're officially one week closer!!! My money (eta: pun not intended) is not on this week, because the 18th seems a little early for SSHRC to mail out doctoral results, but next week.

Right on! Best of luck. I think I'll check out for the time being until sshrc announces via Twitter. Until then!

I'm so anxious. Strangely enough, I kind of don't want to know. At least if we stay in limbo forever, I can't be extremely disappointed if I am rejected. It's such a crapshoot though, so I won't beat myself up if I don't receive it. But a rejection will sting nonetheless.

I'm gettin' REAL tired of hearing about the SSHRC Storytellers top 25 on twitter lol.

My hate is strong for these tweets as well.

Edited by ibebignoob

It has been a while since I have been on these forums! Glad to see the SSHRC thread is still kickin' strong!

Every year it seems that SSHRC incessantly tweets bout the Storytellers at this time. Obviously it is just the schedule for them, because they plan everything well in advance, but it was SO frustrating. 

Good luck to everyone who is waiting to hear some news! 

Well, I managed to forget about SSHRC for a week... thanks to food poisoning (and I certainly don't wish such a fate upon any of you). I guess getting back to worrying about the award isn't so bad after all. 

On another note, from looking through the award guides again, it looks like if direct applicants (entering their 1st year) are awarded a CGS or fellowship, then they cannot apply for a Vanier later (since you have to wait to be enrolled in a PhD program to apply for a vanier, and you cannot apply later if you already hold a SSHRC award: http://www.vanier.gc.ca/en/eligibility-admissibilite.html).Let me know if I am mistaken, but if this is the case, then rejection might not be the worst news for some of us? 

Hats off to you crimsoc for having the patience to wait through this process 4 years in row. Wishing you the best of luck! 

Hats off to you crimsoc for having the patience to wait through this process 4 years in row. Wishing you the best of luck! 

Thanks, you too!! 

Now, let's all try to forget about this and enjoy the weather!

We should start a pool. Who thinks we're getting letters this week (those of us living in Canada)? 

Because I'm a bit of a pessimist, I think they're coming week of the 27th. Oh, and I'm in Toronto. 

I'm in Montreal, and I predict that they'll be mailed by next Friday based on previous years. I'm hoping that it's this week because I honestly don't know how much longer I can wait!

I'm in Montreal, and I predict that they'll be mailed by next Friday based on previous years. I'm hoping that it's this week because I honestly don't know how much longer I can wait!

I'll wager that by this Friday they'll announce that the letters have been sent out and we'll receive them next week.

I'll wager that by this Friday they'll announce that the letters have been sent out and we'll receive them next week.

I hope you both are right and they're sent out this Friday. I was neurotic and checked threads from previous years. Looks like SSHRC mails out letters the second last week of April, and people started to report their letters around the 28-29-30 of April-ish.

Yeah, total desperate speculation -- I know  :rolleyes:

For what its worth - I just contacted the Faculty of Grad Studies in my institution and spoke with the awards and they said they havent heard anything back yet.

Heard from a little birdie (who works for SSHRC) told me that results are being prepared as we speak and "should be sent out by weeks end". The use of the word "should" makes this information useless, but I figured I would pass it on anyway.

Edited by bentharbour

I hope you both are right and they're sent out this Friday. I was neurotic and checked threads from previous years. Looks like SSHRC mails out letters the second last week of April, and people started to report their letters around the 28-29-30 of April-ish.

Yeah, total desperate speculation -- I know  :rolleyes:

I'm going to be an annoying optimist and bet that people will start getting letters by the end of this week, meaning that I think SSHRC will start sending letters mid week. Wouldn't that be nice?

There are currently 16 people reading this thread. If any of you work for SSHRC, please, pretty please, let us know soon! 

I created this account to check in and say that I'm also (im)patiently waiting to hear from SSHRC. I'm thrilled to hear that we might get our letters as soon as next week, even if it's only a rumour.

Thanks to all of you who have been posting on here, this forum has been a way to get out some of the nervous energy associated with the waiting period. No word here in Montreal but hoping to hear soon. Best of luck to you all!

Well, looks like they will be mailing out in may according to their latest tweet:

-qH4zNwQ_bigger.jpegSSHRC@SSHRC_CRSH

@WRITERJER is right. Our team said they plan to mail doctoral competition responses in May, @robynsch.

If that's the case then this is particularly late for responses.

Edited by crimsoc

what' with the flip-flopping shhrc? they responded by email that results would be out by the end of april at the latest. why do MA and post-doc applicants get to find out so much earlier? i don't mean to sound ungrateful for the opportunity to apply, but it just seems like they should reorganize the selection process to let us know earlier. 

I joined this forum just to share some news. I just e-mailed SSHRC and this was the response I received:

The results of the Doctoral competition were mailed out yesterday afternoon.

Per Canada Post standards, you should receive this letter within 10 business days.
They will also be posted electronically later on this week.

Wooo hoooo!!! Good luck to everyone. This wait has been agony and the next few days are going to be even harder. I have been lurking for awhile and it has been nice to know I am not the only one who has been obsessing!