Chemistry major interested in engineering

fancyfeast

Hi,

I'm a senior chemistry major, currently applying to graduate school. I'm interested in nanotechnology, materials, and imaging (the last one is broad because I only know EM in any detail but I'm really interested in fluorescence). I'm a math minor, and will have taken all the calculuses, dif Eq, and linear. I'm proficient in Python and I want to learn another language next semester when I have more free time.

I'm interested in biomedical engineering, materials engineering, and chemical engineering. I know some programs require engineering classes, but would I even stand a chance at those that do not?

I posted this the other day on another thread - hope it will help you too!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi! I'm did chemistry in my undergraduate studies, and now I'm in an engineering MS program (Materials Science, to be specific).

All of the programs I applied to said that I needed a certain number of prereqs, and I'm sure I didn't fulfill those prereqs (I never took Differential Equations or Linear Algebra. I only took one class was cross-listed with an upper division engineering course). But, for all of the programs that accepted me, none of them required that I had to take any make-up courses before starting the program. I was pleasantly shocked!

But here's the bad news: one of the schools that rejected me said that I didn't have the necessary undergraduate reqs - so they didn't give me the opportunity to makeup the courses before starting the program. (I wouldn't have done that anyway, but that's besides the point)

Having a non-engineering BS will work against you, but there are schools that are willing to look past that (even if their website is discouraging). And while most MS applicants have an engineering degree, it's not uncommon for a non-engineering BS applicant to apply to an engineering graduate program. IIRC UC Berkeley's website said that ~30-40% of their applicants are non-engineering BS.

• 2 weeks later...

I posted this the other day on another thread - hope it will help you too!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi! I'm did chemistry in my undergraduate studies, and now I'm in an engineering MS program (Materials Science, to be specific).

All of the programs I applied to said that I needed a certain number of prereqs, and I'm sure I didn't fulfill those prereqs (I never took Differential Equations or Linear Algebra. I only took one class was cross-listed with an upper division engineering course). But, for all of the programs that accepted me, none of them required that I had to take any make-up courses before starting the program. I was pleasantly shocked!

But here's the bad news: one of the schools that rejected me said that I didn't have the necessary undergraduate reqs - so they didn't give me the opportunity to makeup the courses before starting the program. (I wouldn't have done that anyway, but that's besides the point)

Having a non-engineering BS will work against you, but there are schools that are willing to look past that (even if their website is discouraging). And while most MS applicants have an engineering degree, it's not uncommon for a non-engineering BS applicant to apply to an engineering graduate program. IIRC UC Berkeley's website said that ~30-40% of their applicants are non-engineering BS.

This was really helpful! Thanks for replying :) I appreciate it!