MPH 2015

Collegebum

Anyone else applying to MPH programs for the fall 2015 cycle? I am planning on applying by December 15- my credentials are below:

• State university/Biochemistry major/3.36 GPA
  • Fulbright Fellow
  • GRE: 158 verbal 145 math
  • Extensive international research experience
  • Currently working high profile non-profit in the DC area
  • Prior to current position, worked at a development consulting firm

I am interested in applying to these 8 programs:

1. Hopkins
  2. UNC
  3. BU
  4. WUSTL
  5. Emory
  6. Columbia
  7. Berkeley
  8. Yale

My questions are:

• How important are GRE scores?
  • What are my chances given my credentials?
  • Do you need a letter of rec from an undergrad contact? I am a few years removed from college
  • Exit options for DC based MPH's
  • Part-time vs full-time programs

Good luck!  I applied for MPH programs (and one PhD) in 2007-2008.  I also applied and got accepted to to Emory, Yale, Columbia and Hopkins (and the PhD at Columbia, which I just finished in August).  I should've also applied to UNC, and I'm not really sure why I didn't, especially since I didn't want to go to Hopkins at all lol.

1. Medium-importance, I would say.  They won't get you in by themselves, but they can keep you out if they are too low.  Your math score is quite low - that's in the 22nd percentile - so if I were you, I would study for the math section and retake.

2. Can't speak to chances, as it depends on a variety of factors.  How long have you been working at that nonprofit?  2+ years of work experience can really help in this field, although I know tons of people who got in with less (including myself).

3. You need at least one recommendation from an academic contact, so if the only academic experience you have so far is from undergrad then yes, I would say you need one.  You need someone who can speak to how you can perform academically in a graduate program.

4. I don't understand the question - they're not really much different from post-grad options anywhere else.  They're totally dependent on the kind of MPH you get and the kind of experience you get.  Like if you intern in the Capitol during your MPH you might have more options in the federal government than someone who doesn't do any kind of internship.  MPHs can do a lot of things with the proper training and experience.

5. This isn't really a question, so again, not sure what the point is.  If you work full-time at a public health-related nonprofit right now, it may be worth it to stay employed and attend the MPH part-time.  I know at my SPH (Columbia) it was difficult to complete a full MPH part-time unless you have a very flexible schedule.  The required core classes were usually in the evenings - but early evening, like epidemiology started at 5 pm so you'd have to leave work early anyway - but a lot of the electives are scheduled during the day, and most classes only had one section.  (They did have a one-year accelerated MPH that was easier to complete part-time because there were fewer elective requirements).  Full-time attendance is great if you can swing it, but also is more expensive because you have to find a way to support yourself while you attend full-time.