Essay question_Columbia SIPA MPA Fall '15

Nice to meet you guys, I'm new here.

I'm a current seninor year undergraduate in Hong Kong and wish to apply for Columbia U's MPA program from the upcoming 2015 fall, concentrating on energy and environment.

Two questions that confused me as an international applicant, I've sent email to their office but haven't got replied...

1. Are the admission commission strict with the word limits? i.e. if the limit is 400 words, can I stretch it to like, 600?

2. In one essay question they asked me to "describe myself to a future employer", what do you guys reckon the intended content they'd like to read? Would it be a cover letter like essay, in which I describe myself as a future "SIPA Graduate"?

Thanks a lot in advance!

I always advise my clients to stay within the word limit. Perhaps you wouldn't be disqualified, but it looks bad. If they set the limit at 400 words, there's a reason for it. And yes, 400 words is tough because it usually mean you have to leave out some details, but that's the challenge.

As for your second question, it's probably flexible - basically, use whatever format allows you to best express yourself. Another piece of advice I would give you, which doesn't have to do with the SOP per se but is sound advise in general, is to call the office and ask your question over the phone. These days, it seems, no one actually wants to use this magical device called "the phone." Admissions offices are so inundated with phone calls this time of year that sometimes, you're more likely to speak directly with the person you need via a phone call.

David

Edited by fuzzylogician
edited to remove advertisement

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I come across the same problem. Several questions are: 1. Who is the future employer? Can I perceive the future employer as one I will meet after I graduate from Columbia? 2. If so, I need to presume a number of achievements I might accomplish during the graduate study therefore to prove my qualifications and interests in the concentration I plan to apply for to my future employer, right?

Thanks a lot, guys.