What kinds of schools should I apply to?

fancyfeast

Currently starting the application process. I started wayyyy later than I would have liked due to personal issues but now I'm back on track.

I know what kinds of programs I want to apply to but I don't have specific PIs picked out to contact... I'm about a month behind and trying to juggle this with midterms and lab is no fun haha.

Anyway I have a 3.95 GPA, majored in chemistry, was involved in a lot of outreach with the chem fraternity, currently a lab AI, I have 2.5 years of research experience (same lab, been there for all the summers) two posters and probably a paper by graduation but not application time. I do/did a lot of volunteering too but I don't think that's going to do me any favors. I should have a really strong LOR from my PI, and I need to choose two recommenders still but I think they will be good.

I'm looking at upper-mid tier and a few upper tier. I don't want to apply to very many places because I spent soooo much money on the MCAT thinking I'd do MD/PhD and I did well enough for that actually but now I don't see the point of the MD so I don't want to use my incredible score :(

Signed up for the Nov 8 GRE. No subject test so I'm a bit worried about that :( maybe I should take a gap year? Thanks y'all!

Choosing of schools and the no. of schools will depend upon your GRE scores. Many good schools (e.g. Berkeley, Umass Amherst, Duke, GTech, etc) do not ask for subject GRE at all. Off course, having the score is always a good thing. I would better suggest to go for at least 8 schools, don't forget to apply to 2-3 safe schools. 4 ambitious and 2-3 moderate would work fine. All the best!