NYU Silver - Fall 2015 - tracking

I just applied on the 16th and am freaking out and v excited at the same time. I think I will apply to Columbia early too and hold off on the rest until I hear from NYU. It is my absolute first choice. I know that one or two people have already been accepted. I'm wondering if others are willing to post here when they applied and when they heard back and how (email, Albert, etc). Good luck to everyone!

Question for those of you applying to NYU: when they say that it takes 4-8 weeks to review, does that mean that we might have results any day now, or is it 4-8 weeks after the submission deadline in January, or what? I thought they might let people know early if they applied early, but from looking at last year's results, it seems that a bunch of people who applied in Oct 2013 didn't get their results until Feb/March 2014.

I just applied on the 16th and am freaking out and v excited at the same time. I think I will apply to Columbia early too and hold off on the rest until I hear from NYU. It is my absolute first choice. I know that one or two people have already been accepted. I'm wondering if others are willing to post here when they applied and when they heard back and how (email, Albert, etc). Good luck to everyone!

I applied on September 23rd and was accepted via e-mail on October 6th. From the e-mails they sent while I was waiting for my admission decision, it sounded as though they try to send out a decision between four and eight weeks after you've submitted your application. I'm sure it just depends on how many applications they've received at this point. 

Edited by monochrome

I applied on September 23rd and was accepted via e-mail on October 6th. From the e-mails they sent while I was waiting for my admission decision, it sounded as though they try to send out a decision between four and eight weeks after you've submitted your application. I'm sure it just depends on how many applications they've received at this point. 

oh wow! great, thank you!

monochrome, did you also get your financial aid package at the same time?

oh wow! great, thank you!

monochrome, did you also get your financial aid package at the same time?

I got my scholarship letter the following day. I haven't filled out the FAFSA yet (unavailable for 2015-16 until January 1st), so I don't know how much I'm getting on that end.

Thank you!! Will you be in NY? I am going to Sarah Lawrence but may be taking some electives in NY. I just found a Facebook group for the class of 2017! Growing every day :)

Yeah, I'll be in NYC. :)

Now I'm impatiently waiting for January 1st so I can fill out the FAFSA. I want/need to know how much I'm going to get. 

Sure: this will be my secod career, so I have 15 years of experience in healthcare administration. Recent 3.9 GPA from state school, psychology/philosophy major. Current clinical position at a university clinic. 1.5 years of experience as acounselor at a crisis-prevention hotline. Almost 2 years volunteering as an RA in a psychology lab at Ivy school. Other short-term volunteering, auditing grad class, various trainings along the way. References: current employer/PI who is also a professor; recent professor; and volunteering supervisor.  My main interest is in LGBT issues.

Do you mind sharing your stats/experience? I'm considering applying to NYU and just curious how I compare. Thank you and congrats!

• 2 months later...

Congratulations, rosesw!

When did you apply?

I received an email last night and the subject line was "Welcome to the Silver School..." - I was so excited. But it turned out to be an email encouraging me to continue exploring all that the program has to offer, and highlighting all the strengths of NYU Silver. It was puzzling, given that I've already applied.

Anyway, I am very happy for you!!!!

I am a current NYU student. ask me any questions.

How do you like your field placement? I know you fill out a questionnaire prior to starting- did you get something similar to your past experience/career goals?

Are you doing on-campus or off-campus housing? How do you like it?

I am a current NYU student. ask me any questions.

hiclub2, 

how does field placement work in terms of actual responsibilities, in particular therapy v case management/other clinical work? Do 1st year students do intakes, run groups, or provide individual sessions, or are they mostly doing non-therapy work in agencies?

how big are the classes, really? does the program feel like a big school where one can easily go unnoticed or is there a sense of community?

do you feel like you are getting a good education?

thanks so much!

hickub2 (and any NYU applicants/students) Did you receive emails before you were accepted that were along the lines of "Welcome to Silver... I am pleased you have applied. I encourage you to continue to explore what Silver offers... Visit our vibrant community..." (From the Dean) I am wondering if this is sent to everyone who applies.

I got one email from the asst dean about a week before I received my admissions email. It was an "introduction" to the admissions office. they said they wanted to encourage my interest in the msw program and give me the chance to learn everything about the school so i can make an educated decision.

hickub2 (and any NYU applicants/students) Did you receive emails before you were accepted that were along the lines of "Welcome to Silver... I am pleased you have applied. I encourage you to continue to explore what Silver offers... Visit our vibrant community..." (From the Dean) I am wondering if this is sent to everyone who applies.

I got that and I think two other e-mails before my acceptance e-mail.

How do you like your field placement? I know you fill out a questionnaire prior to starting- did you get something similar to your past experience/career goals?

Are you doing on-campus or off-campus housing? How do you like it?

My current filed placement is case management. It is an overall a great experience but there are not much clients available. I listed as mental health on questionaire and was place in case management. I am doing off campus and currently living in Queens. Overall, it's a pretty good program but NYU doesn't have a campus. I am receiving 10500 per year scholarship and the rest I am taking out loans. 

Edited by hiclub2

hiclub2, 

how does field placement work in terms of actual responsibilities, in particular therapy v case management/other clinical work? Do 1st year students do intakes, run groups, or provide individual sessions, or are they mostly doing non-therapy work in agencies?

how big are the classes, really? does the program feel like a big school where one can easily go unnoticed or is there a sense of community?

do you feel like you are getting a good education?

thanks so much!

I am currently working as a case management agency and working with clients who have mental health issues. (some health issues) It depends on your field and I get individual session once per week and I usually do non-therapy work. classes are roughly 20 students and usually in a small class. I've learned a lot of information in one semester but I just don't like how NYU doesn't have a campus.