NYU Silver - Fall 2015 - tracking

bella, congratulations!! I don't know how I will pay yet. They offered a scholarship for almost half of the cost and I am hoping that FAFSA will cover the rest?... If not, loans, loans, loans :(

Hi All,

I was accepted to NYU as well and I'm strongly considering it, but the financial aspect is what is holding me back. Those of you that have decided to attend NYU, how will you be paying for it? I know living expenses in NY are crazy expensive as well! I appreciate any input in advance!

monochrome!! did you decide on fordham?? i thought i would have a grad cafe buddy at NYU! :(

I did! You crossed my mind too cause I remember we got accepted around the same time and were able to talk about it.  :)

mono- why did you choose Fordham over NYU?

When I applied, Fordham was my first choice for no specific reason. It was more of just a gut feeling. I took a tour of both of the schools a few weeks ago, and I just ended up liking Fordham's vibe and campus more. It's really small and had a community like feeling. I also met a few people in the city who went to Fordham and loved it. There was one specifically who went to Fordham for undergrad and NYU for grad school and preferred Fordham. I enjoyed both schools, but it really just came down to Fordham being a better fit for me personally. 

Hello!

I am currently in the process of applying to both Fordham and NYU (Extended Program) for Fall 2015 admissions: all of my application is complete but my SOP. I am finding it particularly difficult to begin writing though both schools have provided me with prompts. I am feeling slightly pressured and anxious and was hoping those of you who have applied could give me some pointers on how to start and what to address. I have read and re-read various examples, SOP guidelines from various schools, and cannot seem to come up with anything. Some assistance would be very much appreciated! 

@Indisputable

Honestly, I just gave myself 90 minutes to write and didn't do anything else until I had 6 full pages of info. I was like "oh, you're thirsty? write one more paragraph and you can have some water." lol, drastic times call for drastic measures. I finished my USC SOP first (it was due first), and it was a long one. After that, I based my other essays off of that one, because they all generally ask similar things. That's the best part about it. Once you have one, you'll have the others.

I wrote about a personal event to start, because from what I've read, you better grab that reader before they get bored and treat you like another random name and number on a page. I went into depth about why I was applying, my diverse background (I went to one of the most ethnically diverse universities in the country, so I talked about how that helped me develop into who I am today), how my work experience applies to social work even though I technically have no social work experience, a little bit of academia and why I switched from biochemistry to psychology in undergrad, and eventually, I talked about how I'm ready for this program and how I would work hard to utilize the information I'll receive to help other people. After all, that's why we're trying to become social workers, amiright?

so yeah, go off of that. show them you're a person; a person with strengths, a few faults, and a whole lot of ambition. They don't want perfection, they want you to be real and a little raw. 

Good luck :) Hope I helped.

I applied to NYU really late (today lol). I was strapped for cash and rounded down my schools from 8 to 4 schools in December. I got an email from NYU saying they extended the deadline to Feb 20 so I still had time. I ended up applying because after missing the original deadline  for some reason it bugged me that I didn't take a stab at NYU. I hope I hear back by March.  Anyone knows if they are generous with their financial package? New York City is such as expensive place but like so many others the thought of living there seems really exciting. 

@Indisputable

Honestly, I just gave myself 90 minutes to write and didn't do anything else until I had 6 full pages of info. I was like "oh, you're thirsty? write one more paragraph and you can have some water." lol, drastic times call for drastic measures. I finished my USC SOP first (it was due first), and it was a long one. After that, I based my other essays off of that one, because they all generally ask similar things. That's the best part about it. Once you have one, you'll have the others.

I wrote about a personal event to start, because from what I've read, you better grab that reader before they get bored and treat you like another random name and number on a page. I went into depth about why I was applying, my diverse background (I went to one of the most ethnically diverse universities in the country, so I talked about how that helped me develop into who I am today), how my work experience applies to social work even though I technically have no social work experience, a little bit of academia and why I switched from biochemistry to psychology in undergrad, and eventually, I talked about how I'm ready for this program and how I would work hard to utilize the information I'll receive to help other people. After all, that's why we're trying to become social workers, amiright?

so yeah, go off of that. show them you're a person; a person with strengths, a few faults, and a whole lot of ambition. They don't want perfection, they want you to be real and a little raw. 

Good luck :) Hope I helped.

@dreamcatcher725: thank you for providing me with your process! I am about to begin writing now and you have definitely given me much to work with. Is there a particular school you are hoping to get into?

@Indisputable Truth

no prob. glad I could help. I'm in LA currently, so if I get into UCLA I might stay over here. I got into USC but the cost is astronomical (not far off NYU; both private). I'm currently deciding between staying on the west coast and completely starting over in NY. it's a tough choice... but I'm working on it.

What about you? is it between NYU and Fordham for you?

After reading about so many people hearing back with acceptances I'm getting really worried! I submitted my application early Jan and still have not heard anything except the occasional thank for applying check out so and so emails but nothing regarding being accepted or rejected. I'm beginning to lose hope, anyone else in the same boat?

After reading about so many people hearing back with acceptances I'm getting really worried! I submitted my application early Jan and still have not heard anything except the occasional thank for applying check out so and so emails but nothing regarding being accepted or rejected. I'm beginning to lose hope, anyone else in the same boat?

I wouldn't be too worried if I were you, it seems as if NYU releases decisions in somewhat random times relative to submission date. In my case, my NYU application was completed after my friend had his completed (all recommendations and documents submitted), yet my friend heard back after me. Not only that, but my friend also ended up getting a larger scholarship award than I did too.

I wouldn't be too worried if I were you, it seems as if NYU releases decisions in somewhat random times relative to submission date. In my case, my NYU application was completed after my friend had his completed (all recommendations and documents submitted), yet my friend heard back after me. Not only that, but my friend also ended up getting a larger scholarship award than I did too.

Thank you! That does make me feel a little better but it still doesn't take the anxiety away.

Hello!

I am currently in the process of applying to both Fordham and NYU (Extended Program) for Fall 2015 admissions: all of my application is complete but my SOP. I am finding it particularly difficult to begin writing though both schools have provided me with prompts. I am feeling slightly pressured and anxious and was hoping those of you who have applied could give me some pointers on how to start and what to address. I have read and re-read various examples, SOP guidelines from various schools, and cannot seem to come up with anything. Some assistance would be very much appreciated! 

I think you've already started by now, but just in case you haven't... I started with NYU's prompt. My introduction briefly stated an issue I'm passionate about, my professional experience, and how a Master's degree will help in achieving my career goals. Before writing out the body, I made a list of things I wanted to mention under each question. From there, I started forming them into paragraphs. I gave specific examples of my learning objectives at NYU. (i.e. what population I wanted to serve and electives that would help build my portfolio)

Completing my NYU statement of purpose helped with the Fordham one. I was able to use most of what I wrote for NYU for Fordham. I just deleted my paragraphs about my attributes (Fordham doesn't ask) and replaced my learning objectives at NYU with Fordham. I also changed the conclusion a little bit.

Edited by monochrome

I think you've already started by now, but just in case you haven't... I started with NYU's prompt. My introduction briefly stated an issue I'm passionate about, my professional experience, and how a Master's degree will help in achieving my career goals. Before writing out the body, I made a list of things I wanted to mention under each question. From there, I started forming them into paragraphs. I gave specific examples of my learning objectives at NYU. (i.e. what population I wanted to serve and electives that would help build my portfolio)

Completing my NYU statement of purpose helped with the Fordham one. I was able to use most of what I wrote for NYU for Fordham. I just deleted my paragraphs about my attributes (Fordham doesn't ask) and replaced my learning objectives at NYU with Fordham. I also changed the conclusion a little bit.

I've been reading your responses and appreciate you explaining your process. I actually applied to both NYU and Fordham. I have a quick question, when you did your statements did you word the paragraphs in the order of the questions? I'm applying to other schools and worried about the importance of the order of answering the questions. lol

Hi all,

I don't know if this has been said before, but is there a facebook page for the NYU MSW class of 2017 page? Not sure if I'm going there yet, but it would be cool to join a facebook group.

riyadiya,

there's a Facebook group but the admins are not approving new members, i think? my request has been pending for months :(

Hi all,

I don't know if this has been said before, but is there a facebook page for the NYU MSW class of 2017 page? Not sure if I'm going there yet, but it would be cool to join a facebook group.

Hi all,

I was wondering the same thing!

MSHopefulCT,

I wonder if that's the group I was trying to join :(  We can start a new group!

There's a group called NYU Silver School of Social Work - New MSW Students that is up and active. I just asked there about the 2017 group and if you join, you 

can see me there and we can be friends! :) I only use FB for NYU and would love to meet people from my cohort! Will you be going to NYU or 

are you waiting for CSULB? And do you live in CT? I live in CT.

MSHopefulCT,

I wonder if that's the group I was trying to join :(  We can start a new group!

There's a group called NYU Silver School of Social Work - New MSW Students that is up and active. I just asked there about the 2017 group and if you join, you 

can see me there and we can be friends! :) I only use FB for NYU and would love to meet people from my cohort! Will you be going to NYU or 

are you waiting for CSULB? And do you live in CT? I live in CT.

I'll look up that group, or do you have the link to make it easier? ...and yes we should make our own if there is not one!

I'm trying to see if I hear back from the other schools I have applied to, but will ultimately make my decision by sometime in April. As of now, NYU is my only option (but is also my first choice school)... I think I will end up at NYU, just want to see if I get scholarships/aid at any of the three other schools I have applied to, since debt is one of the scariest things for me since I am in debt already from out-of- state undergrad at Purdue.

I don't live in CT, those are my intials. :) I live in Michigan, and I need out of the midwest again (spent an City Year AmeriCorps year in LA)... It's such a bummer in this place.

Sure, here is the link to the main new student group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/nyusssw/.

And this is the 2017 class group that I found: https://www.facebook.com/groups/208491365984923/.

MSWHopeful, I hope it all works out and maybe we'll see each other at NYU!  Best of luck!

It won't let me see the group new MSW student group. Is it private? How were you able to join? :/