Do I even have a chance?

I'm currently in my senior year of college and I'm working on applications for grad school in speech pathology. I entered college having no idea what I wanted to do with my life and only discovered SLP my junior year, so I feel really behind. I'm a psych major with no CSD classes because my school doesn't offer them. My GPA is a 3.1 and GRE scores are in the high 140's with a 4.5 writing. I have good letters of rec (one from an SLP I worked with over the summer) and a good SOP but I feel so unprepared and like I might as well not even apply because I don't stand a chance getting in.

Thoughts?

I've seen posts from people who applied every year for 4 or 5 years and it's discouraging me :(

I'm applying to Ithaca, NYMC, NYU, Columbia, Temple, UVA, ODU, and University of DC.

Honestly it may be worth it to take the leveling courses in CSD. That's what I did and, and tried my best in those classes. Then I applied to schools that mainly look into the CSD GPA and last 60 units GPA. Look at my stats, they aren't very fantastic, but I got in. I was able to redeem myself with my CSD GPA, therefore they overlooked my overall and first degree GPA. I agree with the poster above, ask the schools what the stats are for their accepted students are, how many applicants they get, what parts of the application they weigh heavier than others, and ask them what you can do to improve your chances. Hope that helped

In addition to reaching out to the programs you need to be mindful of who you're competing with. New York and other city programs are definitely a lot harder because most people want to be in cities (NYU and Columbia).. If you really want to do speech you have to be willing to sacrifice maybe not being where you want to be for two years. I live right near NYMC and I know that's one of the most competitive programs.. just do your research and find programs that suit your stats, they definitely exist! 

I agree with mhny1224...this is my second year applying and I applied to 8 schools last year.  I didn't even apply to competitive schools like NYU and ended up getting rejected from all 8.  It is really important to do research on the schools.  Find out how many apply, what they look for in an applicant, etc.  I am from Massachusetts and the closest school I am applying to this round is in Maryland.  I think the biggest mistake I made last year was trying to stay close to MA, and didn't do much research.  good luck!!

Hey everyone, IDK how to post my own blog but I was just wondering if anyone knows how important GRE scores are? I have a 3.7 GPA in undergrad SLP & AUD, I currently work in EI as a sub teacher, and I'm taking my GRE in 2 weeks and am super nervous if I will get into any grad schools at all, does anyone know if you have a low GRE and a high GPA what are the changes of getting accepted to schools in NY/NJ?