Masters in Engineering without a Bachelors in Engineering?

KevAquarius

Hi everyone,

I'm currently a biology major at my university, which is well-respected in the liberal arts but doesn't have an engineering school. I'm pretty far along in my biology degree, and I've noticed I'm interested in engineering (I've been working in an microfluidics/optics lab). Everyone that I know at my school is telling me to just finish and get a masters in engineering but the programs I'm interested in state on their website that you need specific prereqs and that most of the time the acceptees come in with an engineering degree. So I'm in a little bit of a conundrum. I don't know whether I should just transfer to a place with an engineering school or finish and take classes on the side while I work. Honestly, transferring may be easier since I have a sweet scholarship that covers a ton of stuff and I really don't want to give up the rigor to go to my state school (it's pretty bad rigor-wise).

Anyways, I just wanted to ask you guys what you think. Have you seen people go into masters program without an engineering bachelors? Any ancedotes would be helpful...thanks!

Hi! I'm did chemistry in my undergraduate studies, and now I'm in an engineering MS program (Materials Science, to be specific).

All of the programs I applied to said that I needed a certain number of prereqs, and I'm sure I didn't fulfill those prereqs (I never took Differential Equations or Linear Algebra. I only took one class was cross-listed with an upper division engineering course). But, for all of the programs that accepted me, none of them required that I had to take any make-up courses before starting the program. I was pleasantly shocked!

But here's the bad news: one of the schools that rejected me said that I didn't have the necessary undergraduate reqs - so they didn't give me the opportunity to makeup the courses before starting the program. (I wouldn't have done that anyway, but that's besides the point)

Having a non-engineering BS will work against you, but there are schools that are willing to look past that (even if their website is discouraging). And while most MS applicants have an engineering degree, it's not uncommon for a non-engineering BS applicant to apply to an engineering graduate program. IIRC UC Berkeley's website said that ~30-40% of their applicants are non-engineering BS.

Is that Hemingway in your avatar?  I went from BA math directly to MS Engineering.  What field of engineering are you interested in?  You really need to talk to professors at the different schools.  I found a wide range of pre-requisites, from having to take all the undergrad engineering classes (yuck) to being accepted because I had a math degree.  I ended up going to Santa Clara University because at the time they accepted math degrees equally to engineering degrees for grad engineering.  It really worked out good but I had to talk to a number of schools.

Is that Hemingway in your avatar?  I went from BA math directly to MS Engineering.  What field of engineering are you interested in?  You really need to talk to professors at the different schools.  I found a wide range of pre-requisites, from having to take all the undergrad engineering classes (yuck) to being accepted because I had a math degree.  I ended up going to Santa Clara University because at the time they accepted math degrees equally to engineering degrees for grad engineering.  It really worked out good but I had to talk to a number of schools.

Oh no! I looked into Santa Clara University, and decided not to apply because their website specifically said that they only accept engineering BS applicants! I just goes to show how the website is not always truthful...

Hello KevAquarius!

I received my BS in cell/molecular biology. Worked at a government lab afterward as a glorified lab tech for a while. Decided I didn't want to pursue biology or medicine as a career. Did a lot of soul searching and settled on mechanical engineering. Took multivariable calculus and differential equations, applied to a number of mechanical engineering MS programs, and am currently doing a thesis Masters in ME at a well-ranked program. You can look through my previous posts if you want to read about all the gory details.

So it is absolutely possible, and I know many people who have gone from a BS in science or math to graduate programs in engineering. That said, it's likely you'd have to take a number of prerequisites for most programs--my case is an unusual one in that I didn't. At the very least, you must have a good foundation in linear algebra and calculus through multivariable and differential equations as far as math goes. Statistics can also help, but only tangentially. Be sure to email the department at any programs you're thinking of applying to and ask if they'll even consider your application, and what prereqs or remedial coursework you'll have to take before or after being admitted.

Like starofdawn said, a non-engineering BS will work against you, and many programs will not consider such applicants (though a large number do, including top schools). I am certainly in the minority at my program--save for 3 or 4 people, almost everyone in my cohort of 60 or 70 has an engineering Bachelors. So my recommendation would be to transfer and get an engineering BS--this will not only allow you to sit for the FE/PE exams, it'll be a major plus if you choose to later apply for graduate programs in engineering.

Edited by Plissken

• 1 month later...

I've seen folks move from science to engineering.  I have one friend who got a fully-funded ChemE PhD at a top 25 after a BS in chemistry (higher ranked schools offered him the MS program instead).  So, it's definitely possible.  My main advice is to push yourself with math.  Rightly or wrongly, people think of biology majors as being weak in the subject, so take (and do well in) linear algebra and diff eq.  If there's a computer class w/ MatLab, take that too.  Get familiar w/ AutoCAD/CAD.  I'm a fan of getting the science BS and complementing that with an engineering grad degree.  It adds diversity/versatility in the long run.  It will set you apart.  Another thing to note is that NSPE has changed the requirements for the PE license.  You do NOT need an engr. BS to be a licensed engineer anymore.  You need the engineering MS.  So, in ~3 years after your degree, you can be a P.E. with a biology background.  Sounds like a win-win to me!       

Another thing to note is that NSPE has changed the requirements for the PE license.  You do NOT need an engr. BS to be a licensed engineer anymore.  You need the engineering MS.  So, in ~3 years after your degree, you can be a P.E. with a biology background.  Sounds like a win-win to me!       

Wow! Did that change recently? I remember being sad because I thought I couldn't get a PE license without a BS in engineering.

Wow! Did that change recently? I remember being sad because I thought I couldn't get a PE license without a BS in engineering.

YES!  Like, within the past few months.  Some people are really upset about the new/increased requirements.  But, for Sci->Engr folks, it's great news!  Definitely, look into this.  

Side note: It's great that you made the switch in spite of the old PE rules.  I thought of Mat Sci for grad school, but decided against it b/c of the licensing problem.  I don't have regrets, but it's cool that you pursued engr. anyway.  Good luck with your new path!

Edited by Chai_latte

YES!  Like, within the past few months.  Some people are really upset about the new/increased requirements.  But, for Sci->Engr folks, it's great news!  Definitely, look into this.  

Side note: It's great that you made the switch in spite of the old PE rules.  I thought of Mat Sci for grad school, but decided against it b/c of the licensing problem.  I don't have regrets, but it's cool that you pursued engr. anyway.  Good luck with your new path!

You're making me blush :) thank you!