When do subject GREs turn from supplement to detriment?

CW1991

The Biology subject GRE is not absolutely required for the programs I am applying to however it is recommended for two of the programs. I took the subject test (scores pending) but I am curious what the cutoff should be for sending scores in.

Of course if I blow it out of the water I will send my scores to all schools. But if my score is more mid range would that still be okay to include in my applications?

I have tried to look at the 2015 application profiles, but I have a feeling people with good scores are more likely to report what they received--leaving a slightly skewed picture.

I was in a similar situation -- my BSc and MSc degrees were in Physics/Astronomy and for Planetary Science programs, the Physics GRE was optional. My scores were mid range (took it twice, 2.5 years apart) -- around 44th and 53rd percentile. For one school, it said Physics GRE "strongly recommended" so I submitted both those scores (this was before ScoreSelect) and I was admitted. For another, it said "Physics GRE optional" so I did not submit it. I also got into this school. I can provide more personal information/details via PM if you wish!

I thought "strongly recommended" meant "required, but we aren't saying so" but it really doesn't--plenty of others got into the same program without PGRE scores. However, conversations with people after the fact said that since my undergrad and masters degree were in Physics, it would have been weird for me to not have a PGRE score if it was strongly recommended.

So, my advice is that if you are around 50th percentile (i.e. mid range), and you have a degree in Biology and the program's wording kind of implies that they want to see a subject GRE score, then you should go ahead and submit the score. 

I actually think that I would avoid sending the score if it isnt over 60% at minimum. If you end up with an average score and have great grades then I think this could lead the program to question your grades and assume that As are easy to come by at your program, since an average student is able to get them (average as judged by the GRE score). On the other hand, if your grades arent great and more mediocre then I think the mediocre GRE score would confirm that you are only a mediocre student. I guess I dont see any good coming out of submitting an average score the program will not wnat to admit average students. I think it might be better to leave them wondering what you would have gotten then to give evidence for being only average.

I would only send it if you are above 80-percentile. Anything below will only hurt you. If you have a strong background in biology, I may be hesitant sending it then. Even for programs that strongly recommend it (such as my program), I don't believe I know anyone who took it and submitted their results.