Question about publication

VulpesZerda

I submitted a manuscript to my university's academic journal a while ago. It was a review paper that I wrote basically for fun over winter break. After it was accepted for a talk at a state-level undergrad conference, I figured why not submit it to my school's journal. Today they got back to me with an acceptance - yay! However, I'd like to see some people's opinions about how significant this actually is; I suspect not very. My school is tiny (< 1000 undergads) and the journal is interdisciplinary. It can be found by searching EBSCO, if that makes it any better. Big question is -- where on my CV does this go? Under 'publications' certainly seems to be a stretch.

For sure! I have a section on my CV for publications and conference presentations so I would put it under a heading like that. I don't see why it's a stretch - it might not be Nature but it's still a publication :)

I agree, if it was reviewed in some fashion I think you could list it under publications. If it wasn't reviewed at all, then you run the risk of looking self-aggrandizing.

You wrote "why not submit it to my school's journal"? and the answer is: If it could have been accepted somewhere better, then send it there instead. Always aim as high as you can. Too late now, but for the future, something to keep in mind...

For sure! I have a section on my CV for publications and conference presentations so I would put it under a heading like that. I don't see why it's a stretch - it might not be Nature but it's still a publication :)

Okay, thanks!

I agree, if it was reviewed in some fashion I think you could list it under publications. If it wasn't reviewed at all, then you run the risk of looking self-aggrandizing.

You wrote "why not submit it to my school's journal"? and the answer is: If it could have been accepted somewhere better, then send it there instead. Always aim as high as you can. Too late now, but for the future, something to keep in mind...

Well, I actually did submit it to another journal but it was rejected. It wasn't an empirical study, so I wasn't expecting it to be a great fit for any national journals. I think it ended up being a good fit for my school's publication because they actually asked me to expand on my discussion/implications, and I was holding back on doing that with the other journal because I didn't want to wind up getting too emotionally involved/lend any personal opinions. (Topic was CTE in the NFL... I get very enthusiastic)

I've heard that the rule is nothing gets a heading (i.e. "Peer-reviewed publications") unless there are two entries. If you only have this pub, I would maybe think to put it with your presentations and call the whole thing "Publications and Presentations" =)