Applying to Graduate School - Nervous

Nikki393

So I am an undergraduate social work student (BSW) applying to graduate school for public health (MPH). I have a 3.838 GPA and GRE scores in the low 300 range. I've also held two internships throughout my undergraduate career. I am applying to the University of Virginia, Virginia Commonwealth University, George Mason University, and Virginia Tech. 

I'm really just looking to see if others in this field or related fields have been accepted to these schools and what did your scores / gpa look like etc. Basically I'm trying to not panic if I don't get in to any of them (had a little chat with my adviser about "what if no one accepts me" and now I'm a little freaked out... 

Thanks to anyone that takes the time to comment! 

I am a 4th year sociology doctoral student at GMU. I had an MA I'm sociology before I applied, which makes a comparison of profiles difficult, but my GRE was horrible (mid 1000s before they restructured the exam), my gpa was a 4.0 and my background in sociological practice was pretty solid (theory, research, and community engagement).

I was accepted to GMU sociology without funding in 2011. By 2012 I had full funding and a stipend.

I can tell you more about the school and location as well, but knowledge of the social work program here is poor.

So I am an undergraduate social work student (BSW) applying to graduate school for public health (MPH). I have a 3.838 GPA and GRE scores in the low 300 range. I've also held two internships throughout my undergraduate career. I am applying to the University of Virginia, Virginia Commonwealth University, George Mason University, and Virginia Tech. 

I'm really just looking to see if others in this field or related fields have been accepted to these schools and what did your scores / gpa look like etc. Basically I'm trying to not panic if I don't get in to any of them (had a little chat with my adviser about "what if no one accepts me" and now I'm a little freaked out... 

Thanks to anyone that takes the time to comment! 

I'm at Tulane University right now, and everyone raves about the program. You might want to add it to your list, if you see yourself living in New Orleans. I got accepted here for a doctoral program (not in public health though) with a 3.91 and a 312. The MPH probably shouldn't be an issue in terms of acceptance for you.

If you're looking to stay in the DC area, you might want to look at GW. My sister just started the MPH program there and really seems to like it. They set it up so that classes are at night and you can intern during the day, which is great because experience is such a big part of employability. Given the location, there are great opportunities with government organizations like NIH or NIMH. She had a 4.0 undergrad, average GRE scores, and several years of biochem research experience. (She was a biochem major, so her concentration is epidemiology...I'm guessing you're going for policy? She is required to take policy classes, and it sounds like that side of their program is strong, too). Good luck with applications!

I was really confused by the 300 range until I realized that we were talking about the revised GRE.  300 range is scores of around 150 on both sections, which I think is good for the mid-level MPH programs (VCU, GMU, VTech) and probably also fine for UVa given your other accomplishments.

Are you looking to stay in the DC area and/or attend a public institution in Virginia?  Because if the latter is your goal - I applaud that, as MPHs can be expensive relative to the salaries you can expect.  But if you want recommendations for other programs, I could provide that too, as public health is my field!  (GWU does have an excellent public health program with the opportunity to intern in DC, but it's expensive.)

Hi!

@Jullietmercredi I am a graduate of Pharm.D..I am planning to pursue MPH But, I heard that it`s difficult to find a job related to public health after graduating MPH if we don`t have any work experience in the field of public health. Is it true?